• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Is it possible to make players able to choose the Hidden Power's type in HGSS?

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2022
    I'm hacking HGSS, and thinking of making players able to choose the Hidden Power's type.

is it possible? What tool do I need to do this?

Years
  • You could make 17 different versions of hidden power (one for each type). I don't know how much you can do with HGSS hacking, but I imagine this would be pretty easy to do.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    I'm hacking HGSS, and thinking of making players able to choose the Hidden Power's type.

Well hidden power is defined by your pokemon's IV's, so usually I just use pokegen and edit my IV's. as the program shows the type and damage of your pokemon's hidden power.

Also you can probably guess from what I said but type isnt everything, the damage is also linked to IV's so you can get exactly the type you want, but then the damage could be 10 or 15, instead of above 60.

So I think it's just best to leave it up to the player to make changes themselves for that, instead of trying to write a script/code to account for all the possible options.

Years
  • Probably not, tbh. I don't know, but I would imagine that moving points around with new data would mess things up. Can't you just add a new NPC who gives you Pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Can Pokegen be used on romhacks too? Also Thanks for your helpful response.

Yeah it works just fine, I play blaze black, and I edit things in pokegen all the time without problem.

So if you just made your hack, and then left setting hidden power to the players they can change it however they want. As pokegen does work with HG & SS.

If you really wanted them to be aware of it, you could include a download of pokegen with your patch, and a text file letting them know they can use it to adjust hidden power. Just remember to give credit to the author in the text file if you go that route.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023

Ok I've thought further on this, and if you really want to do it, and make it an option the player can change in game.
    What you'd have to do is create a person with a script involved that would change the type of hidden power.

Before you do that though, you'd have to use asm to completely change the hidden power function, set it so instead of being calculated on ivs, is just a random element on learn, at a static base strength.

Then when you go to this move editor, have a dialogue box that would set the type of hidden power to whatever the player selects.

How to do this and actually translate the effect? I have no idea.

But I know that it would involve asm, probably battle script, and possibly messing with memory.

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2023
    what i would do (probably the easiest way) is just make a hidden power for every type as mkol said, then add a tutor npc for it somewhere.

Back