• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Whirlpool

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • In Johto, Whirlpool is an HM move. In the second generation, using Whirlpool removes the Whirlpools from the field. However, in HG/SS, it just helps you get across it. You need the Whirlpool HM to enter Whirl Islands, as well as to get into the house within the Dragon's Den.

Whirlpool itself can trap an opponent in battle and damage them. It has only been an HM once and has since never been one.

What did you think of traversing through Whirlpools. I never really found it that interesting, and it's no wonder it was only ever an HM once.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Probably my least favourite HM in any Pokémon game, especially since I played Soul Silver where it was necessary to use Whirlpool to reach Lugia. (At least in Heart Gold you aren't required to battle Lugia in order to beat the game)

The move itself was never good enough to use in battle, certainly not over Surf or Waterfall. I just wish it was an optional HM in this game like Rock Smash, which doesn't need to be used to progress through the main story. Whirlpool could've just been used to let the player reach secret areas to find rare items or battle hidden trainers.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Whrilpool was awful. I almost feel obligated to catch a second water type with HM moves like this and dive. (When your main water type knows surf even this just because useless).

Back