• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Event: Pok?mon Puzzle Parade - Puzzle thread #5

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
Pokémon Puzzle Parade - Puzzle thread #5

20px-Psychic-attack.png
Information
Welcome to a new set of puzzles, it's round 5 already, which means the first half is over. I've another interesting set of puzzles for you this week. The first one is Pokémon mathematics. Don't worry though, it's not like you have to calculate catch chances or something. A simple pocket can suffice, but you can use a pen and some scratch paper too if you're doing this in hardcore mode. The second puzzle is something completely different, you have to solve a crime, a simple theft. (I wanted to do a murder case at first, but it seemed me a little too cruel to do in the Puzzle Parade.)

You have till October 6th (next Tuesday) 7PM UTC to send in answers, because it would be unfair to let it end Sunday already and steal two days, wouldn't it?
-Lycan

20px-Psychic-attack.png
Bonus Puzzle #2
This puzzle works the same as last time, but the hints are different. The hints you've collected over the second set of two weeks point again to something Pokémon related. Tell me what it is, a right answer gives you an extra 500 points. There's no penalty on a wrong guess, so there's no reason not to randomly try something, it may be right.

20px-Psychic-attack.png
Puzzle 9: Pokémath
Solve:

A: [damage reduced by resistance in the first series of the TCG] ÷ [Ash's age as of the first episode of Best Wishes] × [Generation in which Seviper debuted]
B: [Sandshrew's base attack] - [Polioed's number in Fiore's browser] × [types of repel in existence] ÷ [number of tips the symbol on the fire energy has]
C: [level in which Dugtrio learns Slash] ÷ [number of Pokémon that can have Hyper Cutter] - [maximum number of traps one can place in Sinnoh's underground] ÷ [maximum PP Frenzy Plant can have]
D: ( [year in which Black and White were released in Australia] - [number of volumes of the Diamond, Pearl and Platinum manga] ) ÷ [prize in game corner coins to buy a metronome in Veilstone City] + [number of Pokémon active on one side in a tag battle]
E: [TM number of Retaliate] + [Wynaut's evolution level] + [number of facilities in Hoenn's Battle Frontier + [number of XY episode called The Aura Storm!]
F: [number of electric type Pokémon (counting forms and Mega Evolutions that change typing as different Pokémon)] ÷ [number of tails Vulpix has] ÷ [number in the name of the town located on Boon Island] ÷ [number of people that have the Subway Boss trainer class]
H: ( [answer of C] × [answer of E] + [answer of A] - [answer of B] ) ÷ [answer of F] + [answer of D]

The Pokémon that has the Pokédex number that equals the answer of H is your hint for the next bonus puzzle. (H for Hint, easy to remember.)
Keep in mind multiplication and division have a priority over addition and subtraction and watch out for brackets!

20px-Psychic-attack.png
Puzzle 10: Who's the thief?
Terrible events have happened at Blaze Manor yesterday. Arcanine's necklace was stolen in her sleep. It wasn't simply taken away, but violently robbed from her person by an attack. We've questioned the bystanders as well as the servants. Below is what they told. Can you find the culprit?

Who was it and why? (Taking right conclusions, but giving the wrong answer will still give some points.)

Spoiler: Interview data
059.gif
Name: Arcanine
Profession: countess, owner of Blaze Manor
Ability: Justified
Moves: Extremespeed, Return, Flamethrower, Crunch

"This is terrible! My precious necklace! It was my favorite, manufactured by a top team of Carbink. Oh, what should I do?
Oh, about yesterday? Of course. During the robbery I had locked myself in my room and was taking my afternoon nap, like I always do. This must have been from 3:15 PM, just a little later than normally, because my golf game took longer than expected. I sleep very deep and didn't notice someone entered my room until I was attacked and robbed in one go. Although not fully conscious, I felt my power and will to hit back raise, but before I was awake enough to attack back I was knocked out by a different attack that struck me. I don't know how late that all happened, only that I regained consciousness at 4:35."

427.gif
Name: Buneary
Profession: Arcanine's maid
Ability: Run Away
Moves: Baby-Doll Eyes, Dizzy Punch, Defense Curl, Covet

"...*snif* I'm cursed, that's what I am! I only work here for a few weeks and am accused of theft already, now I'm certainly going to be fired again. ... You really think she wouldn't do that? Okay then. I don't think I can be of much help though, I've been busy with cleaning the house all day and I hadn't seen Lady Arcanine since breakfast before some horrible person took away that beautiful necklace."

113.gif
Name: Chansey
Profession: Arcanine's companion
Ability: Healer
Moves: Softboiled, Refresh, Bestow, Egg Bomb

"I can't believe it! Why did this have to happen? Why here? Poor Arcanine, she loved that necklace, it had even pieces of real fire stone in it. It's a miracle how this could've happened, there's only that tiny one-foot window and the servants are the only ones who have a key to the room.
Something about myself? I'm Lady Arcanine's companion, we've been close friends for years. I'm making sure everything is going as milady wished and am in charge of most other servants during her absence."

125.gif
Name: Electabuzz
Profession: Arcanine's butler
Ability: Static
Moves: Thunderpunch, Facade, Screech, Thief

"Isn't this ridiculous? The Manor is in total chaos! Why did someone have to steal a necklace at this moment? I've been making sure everything for the party tonight will be perfectly arranged and now everybody is running around like crazy. I've spent all my time yesterday sorting out the tableware and making sure everything blinked like new. Half of it is actually new, Lady Arcanine takes her parties very seriously. Luckily we were right on schedule, otherwise we couldn't have afforded this crime to happen. If Buneary can stop panicking and running around, I'm sure we can get everything back on track."

595.gif
Name: Joltik
Profession: none
Ability: Compound Eyes
Moves: Spider Web, Leech Life, String Shot, Thief

"Isn't this exciting? A real theft! Have you already caught the bad guy? No? I bet it's that Weavile, he looks like one of those evil big bosses from the movies."

126.gif
Name: Magmar
Profession: Arcanine's cook
Ability: Flame Body
Moves: Flamethrower, Clear Smog, Sunny Day, Thief

"Quite the thing that happened, don't you think? Of course you know all about it already, so I think I'll immediately continue to what I know. I was busy with the grill most of the time. Lady Arcanine is going to give a party tonight. She's really sad about the loss of the necklace and almost canceled everything you know, but I told her she couldn't do that. Nearly everything is done already, it's too late!
Anyway I was grilling meat for today already, keeping today free for the desserts. It's a pity I stood on the eastern side, where the Lady's room is located. The grill caused a smokescreen that blocked the sight, otherwise we could've seen what happened!"

177.gif
Name: Natu
Profession: none
Ability: Early Bird
Moves: Peck, Leer, Night Shade, Thief

"Poor Lady Arcanine, she's so sweet. She let me and Joltik play hide-and-seek in her garden all day. You are going to catch the thief, aren't you?"

279.gif
Name: Pelipper
Profession: window cleaner
Ability: Keen Eye
Moves: Hydro Pump, Water Gun, Roost, Thief

"Shocking to hear a crime took place when I was at work near the Manor. I happened to be at the eastern side of the manor continuously between 3 and 5 PM, which is where the Lady's bedroom is located. I'm really sure I haven't seen anybody entering her room from there. That's all I know. I couldn't see the inside as the curtains were closed, but even if I could, I wouldn't have done that of course. I'm not a spy!"

461.gif
Name: Weavile
Profession: unknown
Ability: Pressure
Moves: Punishment, Quick Attack, Poison Jab, Thief

"For the thousandth time, I've nothing to do with this! Yes, I was there at the time, I was doing some err... research. Yes, research. I've nothing to do with this theft . So can you please let me go? I've more important things to do than hanging around and being asked the same questions over and over again."

Last edited:

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 31, 2016
Can you check the pokémath just to be sure? It's not coming up right for me.

Lycanthropy

Years
Can you check the pokémath just to be sure? It's not coming up right for me.

I checked everything again, even with a calculator this time, and everything seems fine for me. Make sure you follow the priority rules and get all brackets straight. I hope that helps. :)

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 31, 2016
The math is coming up wrong for me too. I've sent you a PM explaining what the problem is to avoid spoiling the rest of it here >~<

Actually the math is right, I just got one number off.

Lycanthropy

Years
Just as a reminder, there's only a little more than seven hours left in this round! I've only received a few answers at the moment, do you need a small extension?

Last edited:

Lycanthropy

Years
As like half of the regular partakers of the Parade haven't sent in answers yet, I've decided to extend this round by two days, making the final deadline Thursday 8th 7 PM UTC. We'll continue with the next round the same day.

Lycanthropy

Years
20px-Psychic-attack.png
Bonus Puzzle #2 - Answer
Time to reveal the second bonus puzzle's answer! This one was guessed right by more people than the first. Congratulations to those who answered correctly! Let's take a look at the hints that could be collected:

Puzzle 5: Perish Song
Puzzle 6: electric weakness
Puzzle 7: R210
Puzzle 8: fluffy

The answer is Swablu! Swablu learns the move Perish Song by levelling (level 42 in ORAS to be more precisely), is weak to electric and can be found on Route 210 in Sinnoh. Lastly, it's pretty fluffy, I'd say.

20px-Psychic-attack.png
Puzzle 10: Who's the thief? - Answer
This is probably what you've all been waiting for: time to reveal the thief!
First we look to who could possibly reached the victim. According to Chansey there were only two entrances to the room: the door and a 1-foot window. The door was locked at the time, as Arcanine herself says, and only the servants had a key: Buneary, Chansey, Electabuzz and Magmar. Joltik and Natu are the only ones that could fit through the small window. However, at the time of the theft Pelipper was constantly at the east side of the house, where this window was located and he's sure he hasn't seen anybody enter from there. There may have been smoke, but that wouldn't obscure his sight thanks to his Keen Eye ability.
So that only leaves the servants as our possible culprits. If we take another look at Arcanine's tesimony, we see: "I felt my power and will to hit back raise" What else could this refer to than her Justified ability? The necklace was stolen by a dark type move: Thief. Buneary only has Covet and Chansey doesn't have a stealing move at all, so they're out of option. If we take one last look again at Arcanine's experiences, we notice she said the other attack that knocked her out struck her. None of Magmar's other moves, Flamethrower, Clear Smog and Sunny Day, make contact and couldn't have struck her. Electabuzz on the other hand, has Thunderpunch and Facade, that do. Electabuzz was the thief!

Lycanthropy

Years
20px-Psychic-attack.png
Puzzle 9: Pokémath - Answer
A: [damage reduced by resistance in the first series of the TCG] ÷ [Ash's age as of the first episode of Best Wishes] × [Generation in which Seviper debuted]
A = 30 ÷ 10 ×3 = 9

B: [Sandshrew's base attack] - [Polioed's number in Fiore's browser] × [types of repel in existence] ÷ [number of tips the symbol on the fire energy has]
B = 75 - 55 × 3 ÷ 5 = 42

C: [level in which Dugtrio learns Slash] ÷ [number of Pokémon that can have Hyper Cutter] - [maximum number of traps one can place in Sinnoh's underground] ÷ [maximum PP Frenzy Plant can have]
C = 45 ÷ 9 - 16 ÷ 8 = 3

D: ( [year in which Black and White were released in Australia] - [number of volumes of the Diamond, Pearl and Platinum manga] ) ÷ [prize in game corner coins to buy a metronome in Veilstone City] + [number of Pokémon active on one side in a tag battle]
D = (2011 - 11) ÷ 1000 + 2 = 4

E: [TM number of Retaliate] + [Wynaut's evolution level] + [number of facilities in Hoenn's Battle Frontier + [number of XY episode called The Aura Storm!]
E = 67 + 15 + 7 + 32 = 121

F: [number of electric type Pokémon (counting forms and Mega Evolutions that change typing as different Pokémon)] ÷ [number of tails Vulpix has] ÷ [number in the name of the town located on Boon Island] ÷ [number of people that have the Subway Boss trainer class]
F = 48 ÷ 6 ÷ 2 ÷ 2 = 2

H: ( [answer of C] × [answer of E] + [answer of A] - [answer of B] ) ÷ [answer of F] + [answer of D]
H = ( 3 × 121 + 9 - 42 ) ÷ 2 + 4 =169

Back