• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] [Pokeemerald] Is it safe to remove unused strings?

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2023
    So I'm editing the default player names, and I decided to lower the limit from 20 to 6, and I was wondering if I could simply delete the extras from both strings.c and strings.h, which currently are the only 2 places those extra strings are.

I'm coming from the pokecrystal decomp, where every bit of space counts, but it seems the pokeemerald decomp is much more flexable when it comes to space, so is it even worth it?

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • So I'm editing the default player names, and I decided to lower the limit from 20 to 6, and I was wondering if I could simply delete the extras from both strings.c and strings.h, which currently are the only 2 places those extra strings are.
    Give it a try and see how it goes. It should work.
    I'm coming from the pokecrystal decomp, where every bit of space counts, but it seems the pokeemerald decomp is much more flexable when it comes to space, so is it even worth it?
    Just fyi, Pokecrystal is not a decompilation project. It's a pure disassembly.
    That being said, is removing unused strings worth the effort? It depends on how much you value every single bit of extra space you can get.
    The ROM does have plenty of free space by default, and you can also expand it all the way up to 32MB if you need to, but at the end of the day unused text strings or functions are still a waste of space.
    There isn't a reason not to remove them if you care enough.

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2023
    Give it a try and see how it goes. It should work.

Just fyi, Pokecrystal is not a decompilation project. It's a pure disassembly.
    That being said, is removing unused strings worth the effort? It depends on how much you value every single bit of extra space you can get.
    The ROM does have plenty of free space by default, and you can also expand it all the way up to 32MB if you need to, but at the end of the day unused text strings or functions are still a waste of space.
    There isn't a reason not to remove them if you care enough.

Oh my bad, I didn't realize they were 2 different things, but that does make sense. To be honest, on the strings, not really, its mostly just habit at this point since pokecrystal, a lot of the time needed the extra space if you were going to do anything significant.

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    If the rom size is lower then 16 MB the gaps will be filled with 00 or FFs so putting an extra unused string in there or not is really not going to impact the game.

Source code wise, strings do not take up a lot of space, but you have no reason to keep them around. If the string is really unused, then no one is going to miss it when its gone.

Back