• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unsupportive or Too supportive

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
Ever had family or friends, or even peers who were not supportive of your dreams or ended up being too supportive?

Supportive is great, but there is a line between supportive and utterly controlling.

Before I wanted to me a teacher, I wanted to work at a daycare. My dad only put down that dream, made fun of it. Then it transformed into teaching, and he is too supportive. To the point of he controls my grades, and keeps bringing up like teachers dont wanna see that and stuff like that. My dad doesn't even know about my youtube channel, but my mom thinks I can't live off of youtube. Best part I never said anything about solely living off of it and it's just getting old :/.

Anyone experienced that kind of stuff? At least something similar?
Support is great, but when they get too supportive and controlling it gets too far, imo at least.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Other people can provide helpful input on things you might want to do or pitfalls you might want to avoid, but ultimately when it comes to pursuing your dreams, it's ultimately about your own willingness to follow through. Anything you might possibly want to do is going to have some negatives associated with it and it's up to you to decide (a) is it worth it and (b) if it is, how to work around those negatives.

I'm pursuing a career change right now and my family and friends have been very helpful in getting me to think of all sorts of things I may not have considered. There's a lot I hadn't thought about, but I still want to do it, so now it's an issue of how to deal with the obstacles in my way.

I don't think you should let other people run your life (and a lot of them will try to), but other people can absolutely be a helpful source of feedback and insight. You shouldn't be afraid of getting advice, even if the advice itself might not be what you wanted to hear, but you should absolutely come to the final decision yourself. And ultimately, you should take responsibility for whatever the consequences of that decision end up being, for better or for worse.

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
Other people can provide helpful input on things you might want to do or pitfalls you might want to avoid, but ultimately when it comes to pursuing your dreams, it's ultimately about your own willingness to follow through. Anything you might possibly want to do is going to have some negatives associated with it and it's up to you to decide (a) is it worth it and (b) if it is, how to work around those negatives.

I'm pursuing a career change right now and my family and friends have been very helpful in getting me to think of all sorts of things I may not have considered. There's a lot I hadn't thought about, but I still want to do it, so now it's an issue of how to deal with the obstacles in my way.

I don't think you should let other people run your life (and a lot of them will try to), but other people can absolutely be a helpful source of feedback and insight. You shouldn't be afraid of getting advice, even if the advice itself might not be what you wanted to hear, but you should absolutely come to the final decision yourself. And ultimately, you should take responsibility for whatever the consequences of that decision end up being, for better or for worse.

I do agree, but however. My dad likes to run the show. He tells me how to do this and that and makes me do it his way. He doesn't let me make mistakes, because if i do it the slightest thing away from what he wants/tells me how. He flips.

Back