• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gym Disadvantage Challenge

shininglatios217

Wayward Son
Years
  • GYM DISADVANTAGE
    CHALLENGE

Welcome to the Gym Disadvantage Challenge! In this challenge you have to defeat the Gym Leaders and Elite Four using Pokémon that has a type disadvantage against that leader.

Example: If you're going to battle Roxanne, you could use Wingull, Taillow, etc.

I know it will be an extremely hard challenge, so only enter if you think you can do it.

RULES:

This was made to make this thread more "readable".

You have to use Pokémon that receives either 2x or 4x damage against that Gym's Type.

I'll use this is the remix's example:

Let's say you are going to challenge Misty in Heart Gold. Misty's Gym Type is Water, so you could use Sudowoodo (x2) or Graveler (x4), however, you can't use Whiscash. Why?
    Because, although Whiscash is a Ground-Type Pokémon, its second type (Water) neutralizes its 2x weakness, getting 0x damage from Water-Type moves, so that's the reason you have to consider second types, too.

I hope you understand this is the remix's example.

There are two exceptions: You can use any type of Pokémon (except Steel and Ice) to defeat Lance, Clair and Drake.
    I only do this because I know how is to catch/train Dragon Pokémon. And you have to use your starter to defeat your Rival
    when he becomes the champion.

Aside from that, the usual rules apply (No hacks, no flaming, etc.).

Username: Self-explanatory.
    Game: You can use any game.
    Team Name: Optional.

CHALLENGERS

Red:

Blue:

Green:

Yellow:

Gold:

Silver:

Crystal:
    11wildy

Ruby: shininglatios217

Sapphire: Musician of Literature

Emerald:

Fire Red: myrrhman

Leaf Green: Zeffy

Diamond:

Pearl:

Platinum:

Heart Gold:

Soul Silver:

EDIT: I'll start my challenge when someone else joins.

EDIT 2: If you don't understand the rules PM me.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2010
    I'll do this.... soon. I'm currently in the middle of a HG and an Emerald run, but once I move pokemon from either of those over I'll reset and run a challenge. This one sounds absolutely fun.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • sigh, i'll do this on fire red.

Quick question. Define type disadvantage. Is it "types that you are not very effective against" or "types that the gym is super effective against"? I'm asking because I want to know if I should name my Charmander "127" or "128" for the gyms i'm using him on.

Also I started, and got Charmander. (My name as usual is A and rival is LOZER).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2010
    just to clarify the rules.... we can only use pokemon who are at least 2x weak to the gym "type"? so, vs misty, we could use graveler (4x), sudowoodo (2x), but not whiscash (0x)? because whiscash IS ground type, which is weak to water?

shininglatios217

Wayward Son
    Years
  • sigh, i'll do this on fire red.

Quick question. Define type disadvantage. Is it "types that you are not very effective against" or "types that the gym is super effective against"? I'm asking because I want to know if I should name my Charmander "127" or "128" for the gyms i'm using him on.

Also I started, and got Charmander. (My name as usual is A and rival is LOZER).

just to clarify the rules.... we can only use pokemon who are at least 2x weak to the gym "type"? so, vs misty, we could use graveler (4x), sudowoodo (2x), but not whiscash (0x)? because whiscash IS ground type, which is weak to water?

Well, this is the remix answered your question, myrrhman.

In summary, this is the remix defined exactly what I wanted to say with that Misty example. To battle Misty, for example, you can use Sudowoodo and Graveler but you can't use Whiscash. Why? Because Whiscash can't take 2x damage from Water moves.

I'll add a rules section so these things won't happen again (I'm not angry, I just wanted to say I will make this thread more "readable").

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • don't worry about it, latios.

In other news, I'll name my Charmander 123, in hopes that I get a Charizard by Lt. Surge.

Edit: Ok. Got my team worked out. I'll be using a Charizard, Exeggutor, Lapras, Nidoking, and Dragonite. For an added challenge, I'm going to do this run without using any Poke/Great/Ultra/Master Balls.
    Beat LOZER
    Charmander Evolved!
    Beat Brock

Tried to save and quit, but apparently I can't save on that game, so I'll just have to keep it running.

Last edited:

shininglatios217

Wayward Son
    Years
  • Did you already beat this challenge or you are finishing another challenge? That post was confusing.

EDIT: Forget the last part of this post. This thread is more confusing (I even got confused from my own thread).

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Nother Update:

Became schooled in the ferocious art of punching, or something like that. Charmeleon learned Mega Punch.
    Beat LOZER. He gave me his Fame Checker, because he doesn't give a hoot about other people. (I think hoot is a funny thing to say).
    Beat LOZER again on the SS Anne and got Cut, which I taught to Charmeleon.
    Beat Misty with CHARIZARD RAWR!!!
    One hit everyone in Surge's Gym with Flamethrower.
    Beat LOZER again with Charizard in Pokemon Tower
    Got Dratini, named AD. Taught it Shock Wave. Also bought a Pokedoll and Leaf Stone.

Musician of Literature

La musica es la fuerza...
    Years
  • Did you already beat this challenge or you are finishing another challenge? That post was confusing.

EDIT: Forget the last part of this post. This thread is more confusing (I even got confused from my own thread).

No, I was doing a regular run. All I have to do on it is beat the elite 4, then I'll own you guys. MWAHAHAHA!

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I'll do this on Leafgreen, RAWR!

We can use an emulator, correct? If not, then I can't join then. :(

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Update:

Beat Rocket Game Corner
    Beat Pokemon Tower
    Got into Saffron w/ Tea
    Beat Rival in Silph
    Got Lapras (4B)
    Beat Fighting Dojo w/ Lapras (Psychic)
    Beat Snorlax
    Got to Fuchsia
    Got Warden's Teeth, Surf, Exeggcute (57AC), and Nidoran M (68A)
    Got Strength
    Nidoran evolved!
    Nidorino evolved!
    Beat Erika w/ Lapras (Psychic and Ice Beam)
    Beat Koga w/ Exeggcute (Confusion, Light Screen, Leech Seed, and Reflect were all important)
    Saved and quit

I'm trying to get my other Pokemon to catch up to Charizard by the time he hits 50, but it's tough.

Team:
    Charizard @ Lv. 48: Fly, Cut, Flamethrower, Metal Claw
    Nidoking @ Lv. 38: Surf, Poison Sting, Horn Attack, Strength
    Exeggcute @ Lv. 36: Confusion, Reflect, Leech Seed, Stun Spore
    Lapras @ Lv. 35: Ice Beam, Psychic, Surf, Body Slam
    Dratini @ Lv. 27: Dragon Rage, Shock Wave, Wrap, Thunder Wave

Back