• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Editor for Essentials

Should I publish my (already done) other PBS Generators?

• Yes

Votes: 34 97.1%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    Pok?mon Editor for Essentials

Hello Pok?community,

I've recently made a PBS Generator app for Pok?mon. You are able to edit already existing Pok?mon from pokemon.txt and create new ones, as well as delete them. You get a big overview of all fields for each and every Pok?mon in your master text file in detail. You can now also play and set a Pok?mon's cry and see all its sprites, including different forms. You cannot change these inside the editor yet. I don't think this would be a very wanted addition anyways, but if someone wants this I will add it in.

Installation:
    Spoiler:

Features:
    Spoiler:

Important:
    Spoiler:

Future Plans:
    Spoiler:

Known Bugs:
    Spoiler:

Changelog (for those interested):
    Spoiler:

If you have any more questions, you can contact me on Discord @|M3rein| or post a message down below.

NOTE: When editing this page, something very important came to my mind. The issue here is, I forgot it. If something doesn't work, contact me please.

NEW! Credits:
    Pinkcatdragon (Discord: FluffyDragon) for adding animated PNG-Sheet support.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Might you be able to add a scroll bar to the right side of the Field Entry part so that the whole thing can be seen in one screen? Otherwise the program runs outside of the view.

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    Might you be able to add a scroll bar to the right side of the Field Entry part so that the whole thing can be seen in one screen? Otherwise the program runs outside of the view.

I didn't consider that, I'm at 1200 and it's quite large. I'll try to do what you said, but it'll be a seperate download since I don't think people at 1200 like that. I can see where you're coming from though.

Edit: My screen res isn't 1080 high but actually 1200. It's also not a seperate download, I could make an autoscroll property to make it work.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I didn't consider that, I'm at 1080 and it's quite large. I'll try to do what yo said, but it'll be a seperate download since I don't think people at 1080 like that. I can see where you're coming from though.

Ah, thank you! Didn't even occur, never thought about my own screen resolution {XD}

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2022
    I'm sorry but i've got this problem:
    ---------------------------
    Error
    Something went wrong while loading "items.txt".

Make sure the app is installed correctly

And the data inside the file is valid.
    OK

I followed the GIF and I've already tried to substitute the items PBS. Any idea?

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I'm sorry but i've got this problem:
    Error
    Something went wrong while loading "items.txt".

Make sure the app is installed correctly

And the data inside the file is valid.
    OK

I followed the GIF and I've already tried to substitute the items PBS. Any idea?

I had that issue initially as well. I think it might be to do with edited or outdated versions of the items.txt? I don't seem to have that issue with vanilla Essentials...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    I had that issue initially as well. I think it might be to do with edited or outdated versions of the items.txt? I don't seem to have that issue with vanilla Essentials...

I'm a spoon for not having mentioned the fact that items.txt, moves.txt and abilities.txt cannot have blank lines underneath. The last line has to be a valid item, so do not press enter at the last item.
    This should fix the problem. If it doesn't - Make sure, before opening the editor, that all PBS is valid when the game is compiled - I'll test around more.

I've also updated the main post to include this information. I felt like I forgot to mention something...

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2022
    Neither i do, using vanilla. But i'm using gen 7 PBS and i'd really prefer not reinsert them... again :(

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I'm a spoon for not having mentioned the fact that items.txt, moves.txt and abilities.txt cannot have blank lines underneath. The last line has to be a valid item, so do not press enter at the last item.
    This should fix the problem. If it doesn't - Make sure, before opening the editor, that all PBS is valid when the game is compiled - I'll test around more.

A spoon, haha. Ahh that makes sense now, yeah its running fine now. Not just the last line but apparently anywhere through the .txt file as well.

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    A spoon, haha. Ahh that makes sense now, yeah its running fine now. Not just the last line but apparently anywhere through the .txt file as well.

Yes, that's how I set it up. If I recall correctly, it does skip #'s. I'm not sure on that though, and I'll update it if it doesn't.
    I double checked and moves, items and abilities will skip #'s. If you want to have blank lines, just add a hashtag. This does not apply to pokemon.txt in this version.

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Yes, that's how I set it up. If I recall correctly, it does skip #'s. I'm not sure on that though, and I'll update it if it doesn't.
    I double checked and moves, items and abilities will skip #'s. If you want to have blank lines, just add a hashtag. This does not apply to pokemon.txt in this version.
    Ah, no stress! Thanks mate!

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    Ah, no stress! Thanks mate!

I've updated the Generator (I should've called it Editor, since you can edit all fields). I tested the GIF to make sure everything is dandy (I made other changes I had to revert, I got some new errors). All should be good now.

You can now resize the Height (not the width) to 300 pixels (anyone with resolution lower than 300 pixels in height should consider upgrading). When it's even 1 pixel smaller than the max height, 999, the width will extend 13 pixels -- exactly enough to show a scroll bar. This should fix your size problem. Forgot: Your screen size is also saved. When you load it again, it will be the same size as how you closed it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I've updated the Generator (I should've called it Editor, since you can edit all fields). I tested the GIF to make sure everything is dandy (I made other changes I had to revert, I got some new errors). All should be good now.

You can now resize the Height (not the width) to 300 pixels (anyone with resolution lower than 300 pixels in height should consider upgrading). When it's even 1 pixel smaller than the max height, 999, the width will extend 13 pixels -- exactly enough to show a scroll bar. This should fix your size problem. Forgot: Your screen size is also saved. When you load it again, it will be the same size as how you closed it.

Brilliant! Works a treat, thanks for the updated version!

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2021
    Cool.

I was actually working on something similar (but in Electron) a while back.
    Thanks for releasing, I'll test it out and let you know if I find any bugs.

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    I know I should wait with this message, but I'll edit it once I actually do update this app. There's going to be a very big new update coming today or tomorrow, depends on when I can finish them. It's going to include the following (and probably more I forgot):

- Sprites can now be seen on the right-hand side on the screen. GIFs and PNGs are supported. PNG-strips are animated if they have multiple frames. The cropping technique isn't always perfect, though, so keep that in mind. GIFs also have a lower framerate because they're using a completely different control which I cannot control the framerate of.
    - Every sprite can be seen; front, back, shiny front, shiny back. This for all different forms (if you're at form 1 and the Pokémon only has one form (0), it will be blank).
    - You get a whole new form for very easy editing of the Pokédex Numbers, this so you don't need to go into every single Pokémon and add a number in yourself.
    - You can play and set cries.
    - You get an "Options" menu. Currently limited to what sprites to show when switching Pokémon.
    - Added an "About" section just to show people who actually made this.
    - Added an automatic update checker (note: not auto-updater). Whenever your version is out of date, you'll be given a message saying so. You can still continue the app without updating, though.
    - When closing the app, your selected Pokémon will be saved and is loaded on startup if this Pokémon's internal name still exists (you haven't edited the pokemon.txt outside of the editor and removed this Pokémon). If not, it will default to 0 again.

I forgot to mention this in the first place, but some of these things were suggestions by other people. If you'd like to see something in this generator/editor, feel free to leave it down below!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    I know I should wait with this message, but I'll edit it once I actually do update this app. There's going to be a very big new update coming today or tomorrow, depends on when I can finish them. It's going to include the following (and probably more I forgot):

- Sprites can now be seen on the right-hand side on the screen. GIFs and PNGs are supported. PNG-strips are animated if they have multiple frames. The cropping technique isn't always perfect, though, so keep that in mind. GIFs also have a lower framerate because they're using a completely different control which I cannot control the framerate of.
    - Every sprite can be seen; front, back, shiny front, shiny back. This for all different forms (if you're at form 1 and the Pokémon only has one form (0), it will be blank).
    - You get a whole new form for very easy editing of the Pokédex Numbers, this so you don't need to go into every single Pokémon and add a number in yourself.
    - You can play and set cries.
    - You get an "Options" menu. Currently limited to what sprites to show when switching Pokémon.
    - Added an "About" section just to show people who actually made this.
    - Added an automatic update checker (note: not auto-updater). Whenever your version is out of date, you'll be given a message saying so. You can still continue the app without updating, though.
    - When closing the app, your selected Pokémon will be saved and is loaded on startup if this Pokémon's internal name still exists (you haven't edited the pokemon.txt outside of the editor and removed this Pokémon). If not, it will default to 0 again.

I forgot to mention this in the first place, but some of these things were suggestions by other people. If you'd like to see something in this generator/editor, feel free to leave it down below!

After a few days of work, I've finally finished everything I wanted to do for this version. I think I got rid of all the standard error messages as well to make sure they're descriptive and easy to understand.
    Also updated the main post's changelog and download link.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • So, I want to know it you could impliment a certain sorting method, one that I think would be REALLY useful.
    Alphabetical order, with respect to evolutions: In other words, all Pokemon that are first-stage evolutions are listed in alphabetical order, but their evolutions are always put right after them.
    So, for example,
    Abra starts with A, so it would appear in the list before Beartic, but so would Kadabra and Alakazam both, because they evolve from Abra.

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    So, I want to know it you could impliment a certain sorting method, one that I think would be REALLY useful.
    Alphabetical order, with respect to evolutions: In other words, all Pokemon that are first-stage evolutions are listed in alphabetical order, but their evolutions are always put right after them.
    So, for example,
    Abra starts with A, so it would appear in the list before Beartic, but so would Kadabra and Alakazam both, because they evolve from Abra.

I'll see what I can do about that. It's not going to be entirely possible as you said - if even - but I'll give it a shot.

Back