• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

VR gaming?

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    Do you think we'll see pokemon in a VR game soon?
    I see a lot of VR headsets selling so would be interested to note if Pokemon is developing anything in this area?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I heard about a VR fangame a year or so ago but I don't think it's still being developed. As for official games I think it'll be a good several years at least - VR is still very much a new technology and currently well outside the price range of what the Pokémon games generally sell for.

Graine

It looks at you and casts Mind Blast.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2018
    We probably won't see an official VR game anytime soon. As Rainbow stated, VR tech is still at a very early stage of development. We'll more than likely have to wait for the technology to become much more accessible than it actually is. A VR Pokémon game would have a lot of potential though.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    As interesting as I think it is, I don't think so. The VR's price is outraging, and Pokémon is aimed at children, so they need affordable consoles for their games.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    VR is nothing more than a gimmick; only people with enough money and enthusiasm for it will buy anything VR-related. No VR game has gotten popular with the big crowd and I expect VR to die out before that even happens (unless the price drops heavily). I don't see any parent buying their child VR-goggles just for Pokémon - can children even balance those on their head?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • VR is nothing more than a gimmick; only people with enough money and enthusiasm for it will buy anything VR-related. No VR game has gotten popular with the big crowd and I expect VR to die out before that even happens (unless the price drops heavily). I don't see any parent buying their child VR-goggles just for Pokémon - can children even balance those on their head?
    Not really in the context of Pokémon because I don't think VR Pokémon games are likely, but are you saying you think the entire VR genre will die out? It seems like so many people were expecting VR to be a hit immediately and were disappointed at how expensive and cumbersome it was, but that's always the case with brand new tech. Large-scale technological change isn't caused by new stuff, it's caused by last decade's stuff getting cheaper and faster, and that's the point at which I believe VR will begin to dominate the market.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • VR gaming is still new and the few games I've seen so far are all pretty simple, but I think that will change soon enough. Currently it's still a gimmick limited to the few people who are willing to pay the price, but as with any new technology it will eventually become more advanced and less pricey over time.

Now about a Pokémon game on VR... that'd be really cool, but I don't see it happen any time soon. I don't know how an RPG and VR go together, but we've seen so many spin-offs happen, so it's definitely possible. Who knows?

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Not really in the context of Pokémon because I don't think VR Pokémon games are likely, but are you saying you think the entire VR genre will die out? It seems like so many people were expecting VR to be a hit immediately and were disappointed at how expensive and cumbersome it was, but that's always the case with brand new tech. Large-scale technological change isn't caused by new stuff, it's caused by last decade's stuff getting cheaper and faster, and that's the point at which I believe VR will begin to dominate the market.
    Yep. It hasn't boomed yet like other gaming gimmicks have (touch screen, motion gaming) and because of that I don't see that happening ever. It's not just the price, it requires a lot of equipment and I think that sets a lot of people off, too. Maybe if VR can be simplified it might gain some traction, but I don't think it's ever gonna take over the market.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • As with every new technology people will have opinions. It seems gimmicky rn, but expecting it to catch on & be more affordable over time. Hopefully! Maybe?

About Pokemon Games on VR, not ruling out the possibility, but not any time soon.

Pika Pika :chu:

Years
  • I mean the VR technology doesn't seem to be all that great (in terms of gaming) atm, so in the future if it grows more popular, better and more affordable I would be pretty hyped to see a virtual reality Pokemon game cause that would be pretty cool, but it's a big if.

Back