• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Was Misty poorly treated in the anime?

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    The show is ending and even though Misty got some cameos and return for the last 10 episodes, it still feels like she was poorly treated in the show as a whole.

1. Her goal was barely focused on. To this day I don't know what a water pokemon master is given all the other water Gym leaders like Wallace are far more powerful than Misty.

2. Most of her pokemon do not get much screentime or development.

3. She has very few battles in the show, if someone wanted to go back and rewatch all of Misty's battles in the show, there's not even much to go back and watch. Psyduck also interrupted most of her battles in the OS. She only has a few battles per season.

4. Her character more or less stagnated when she got Togepi, and for a large chunk of Johto she didn't do much more in an ep than hold it.

5. For Pokeshippers, it feels like her crush was a running gag the writers just had fizzle out and were never going to take it seriously.

6. She was written off for 20 years from 2002 to 2022. She's been gone for like 80% of the series.

And in the end there's just not much to say but the usual. Misty's strength was her interactions with Ash and Brock but for a character who was around for almost 300 episodes it really feels she wasn't ever used to her full potential.

I

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • You could argue that with most of the female companions that weren't May or Dawn, honestly. Iris, up until Journeys was exactly the same. She barely got anywhere with her goal while on her journey with Ash, and Serena didn't have a goal until the second half of Kalos.

But, I can agree on that her Pokemon needed more focus especially.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Back when Misty was in the anime, they focused solely on Ash. So no one got any type of fair treatment up until we got May and Dawn. I feel like Iris fell more into this same pattern, even more so than Misty, because they had very little care to focus on other trainers.

So to answer your question. Yes. She was. But so was Iris. And while Serena didn't have a goal, she did have story.

With Misty, her pokemon had no growth except Togepie which wasn't even a water type and kinda took over her pokemon screen time like you mentioned.. And a smaller note was Politoed. She completely neglects most of her other pokemon. Misty at least did have a few centric episodes later on, but she was still very neglected. Her only big leap in becoming a Water Master was winning the Whirl Cup, returning to the gym and releasing Togepie.

People need to remember that there was never supposed to be any more episode after Johto, but that was retconned when it exploded in popularity. Iris was shafted even more though. She only has three dragon pokemon. One in which most dub watchers won't even know about and didn't show up in Journeys except in like a flashback. She was basically a copy and paste of Misty. Wanted to be a Dragon Master and was afraid of ice pokemon, but in a worse manner.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • I feel like any character in the anime that isn't Ash gets treated poorly to be honest. As he is the main character it means no other character can really be "better" or have storylines I feel.

Just my two cents.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2023
    Back when Misty was in the anime, they focused solely on Ash. So no one got any type of fair treatment up until we got May and Dawn. I feel like Iris fell more into this same pattern, even more so than Misty, because they had very little care to focus on other trainers.

So to answer your question. Yes. She was. But so was Iris. And while Serena didn't have a goal, she did have story.

With Misty, her pokemon had no growth except Togepie which wasn't even a water type and kinda took over her pokemon screen time like you mentioned.. And a smaller note was Politoed. She completely neglects most of her other pokemon. Misty at least did have a few centric episodes later on, but she was still very neglected. Her only big leap in becoming a Water Master was winning the Whirl Cup, returning to the gym and releasing Togepie.

People need to remember that there was never supposed to be any more episode after Johto, but that was retconned when it exploded in popularity. Iris was shafted even more though. She only has three dragon pokemon. One in which most dub watchers won't even know about and didn't show up in Journeys except in like a flashback. She was basically a copy and paste of Misty. Wanted to be a Dragon Master and was afraid of ice pokemon, but in a worse manner.

Pokemon was already popular before Johto, so to me there always was gonna be episodes afterwards.

But anyway, I think they just didn't have a clue on how to focus on Misty and Brock...

Back