• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Black Friday Shopper collapses at Target; receives no help

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Well, this makes me hate the world I live in even more. I really wonder what's wrong with this planet and the people that inhabit it...

A Black Friday shopper who collapsed while shopping at a Target store in West Virginia went almost unnoticed as customers continued to hunt for bargain deals.

Walter Vance, the 61-year-old pharmacist, who reportedly suffered from a prior heart condition, later died in hospital, reports MSNBC.

Witnesses say some shoppers ignored and even walked over the man's body as they continued to shop, reports The Daily News.

Friends and co-workers saddened to learn of his death, expressed outrage over the way he was treated by shoppers.

Read more about it here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...l?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk3|115827

Years
  • It happens every year.
    Idiotic people, living in America, show how selfish they are by putting substance over being kind.
    How many people have died now due to being crushed or attacked or being ignored during these sales?

I am sick of seeing these stories come up every year and I think the whole holiday should be abolished because people value their bargains over a human/s life.

Discussing Disgusting.​

Last edited:
    Years
  • You mean "disgusting", Will. :x And you didn't have to add the "living in America" part, you know. People like that exist in every country in the world, not just exclusively in America. In fact, I'd go so far as to say certain countries have a higher concentration of people like that than America does.

Anyway, the title misrepresents what happened. According to his wife, 6 off-duty nurses who were shopping had stopped to give him CPR. Damn sensationalist headline. Somebody had clearly responded and people who knew they would be useless in trying to resuscitate him stayed out of the way of the nurses.

Years
  • It's nice to know that someone (several someones) did stop to give this man help even if he didn't make it. I'm not going to totally despair over this.

But it is an awful day of the year which is why I like to stay home. I wish stores didn't all have to have ridiculous sales and it didn't have to cause people to be stupid, but that's what you get with a mob mentality.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
  • It's like the story about the girl who was stabbed in her apartment complex. All these people heard her screaming for about 20 minutes, as she bled to death, and not one tenant or a couple dozen could at least call the cops. The body was found the next morning, and then a tenant finally called the police. Several of the tenants stated that they heard repeated screams, and did not want to get involved or assume responsibility.

I guess it all depends on the situation, I mean, I guess some people many not want to deal with what they may think are private domestic disputes, but seriously, there is no risk of helping a man who collapsed on the floor of target, unless you really think the risk of losing out on a few minutes of shopping is worth someone's life. Ugh...I agree with everyone above-disgusting.

Years
  • I guess it all depends on the situation, I mean, I guess some people many not want to deal with what they may think are private domestic disputes, but seriously, there is no risk of helping a man who collapsed on the floor of target, unless you really think the risk of losing out on a few minutes of shopping is worth someone's life. Ugh...I agree with everyone above-disgusting.

Did you not read the article? 6 off-duty nurses stopped to give him CPR according to his wife.

therealtruththeheadlinedoesnotacknowledge.png

Just adds to the stereotype that the Holiday season bring out the idiots.

And adds fodder to stereotypes that the media often misrepresents and exaggerates things.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • "Witnesses say some shoppers ignored and even walked over the man's body as they continued to shop"

Just curious, but what the hell were these "witnesses" doing? Like Don said he received assistant. So these seems like a none story about him not getting the help. And for this being surprising it happens every year, so I can expect something to happen like this next year.

Also I don't get why people just don't shop on Cyber Monday instead, you avoid the crowds, traffic, safe gas money. Black Friday is just a horrid day all around.

Years
  • Did you not read the article? 6 off-duty nurses stopped to give him CPR according to his wife.

therealtruththeheadlinedoesnotacknowledge.png
    That may be true, but apparently people still ignored him and even stepped on him before the nurses noticed this was happening. Should it really take 6 nurses to help an old guy that's fallen to the ground?

Years

• That may be true, but apparently people still ignored him and even stepped on him before the nurses noticed this was happening. Should it really take 6 nurses to help an old guy that's fallen to the ground?

If they're the only ones who know CPR, yes. You're practically useless in helping someone's who's fallen unconscious and isn't breathing if you don't know CPR. You can dial 911, but you can't help try to resuscitate him. You'd be surprised how many people don't know how to properly help a collapsed person.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
  • I love how people condescendingly ask if I had read the article..anyway. The whole point I brought up is, yes, people should help, even if they are unaware how to deal with the medical issue. They can call 911, they can ask others for help, and ultimately, if those people who initially stepped over the man sought out medical attention from let's say off-duty nurses this may have been a completely different article, because he would have been given more time to be resuscitated. It's like saying that people who can't swim should ignore a drowning child. It's called, find someone else who can swim.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    All this article does is show further proof, as if it's needed at the time, that people put their greed above everything else that happens around them. Their mindset goes like this: Hurray for me, & F everyone else.

It's irritating, really.

Daichi

大地ホプキンス
    Years
  • Everyone would rather be the first in line to get a discounted TV or an XBOX 360 rather then help an elderly man. For shame America!!!!!

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Not disgusting.

Whats disgusting is the fact that this newpaper is intentionally misleading people with the title just so they can get more attention.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I love how people condescendingly ask if I had read the article..anyway. The whole point I brought up is, yes, people should help, even if they are unaware how to deal with the medical issue. They can call 911, they can ask others for help, and ultimately, if those people who initially stepped over the man sought out medical attention from let's say off-duty nurses this may have been a completely different article, because he would have been given more time to be resuscitated. It's like saying that people who can't swim should ignore a drowning child. It's called, find someone else who can swim.

What part of the article said that these people ignored him before the nurses came by? I was walking to the dining hall a few weeks ago and saw someone on the ground surrounded by people, including two people who looked official and looked like they knew what they were doing. I didn't get involved; why would I? There were people there and considering I have no idea what to do in a situation like that, I would only get in the way and possibly make the situation worse.

Nowhere in the article does it say that the nurses found him only after people ignored him. It's fully possible that he immediately got help and those people who 'ignored' him felt they would only add to the chaos instead of actually help in any way.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Y'know what's really amazing? It's been pointed out at least half a dozen times that the newspaper basically lied and yet we're still talking about this as if it were legit.

Also, interesting tidbit. Americans are harder on their way of life than any other country I can think of. That is to say, a startling percentage of the people preaching America's poor qualities are Americans themselves.

Oh, and... Since apparently nobody has said it and I can't think of anythig more appropriate to contribute...
    May that dude rest in peace. Hopefully he's in a better place now.

Years
  • Welcome to Wal-Mart. Please don't mind the guy who got crushed just now and take advantage of our $2 waffle irons! On, and if you get hit with pepper spray, we are not liable for any damages. Thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart on Black Friday!

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Not really. While the stores cut prices, the people choose to act that way over them.

I hate retail but still... I'd love to work a retail job on Black Friday. It would be fun as hell imo. Unless you are a retail clerk in a casket store. That job is dead boring no matter what day it is.

Back