• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Indie Games

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
  • What is your stance on indle gaming? Are you of the opinion that such games are just low budget wastes of time, and as such are merely means of achieving easy money for developers? Or perhaps do you see such games as a means to address issues that mainstream gaming corporations have a difficult time dealing with due to being too big to innovate (or something akin to that)?

I am of the view that there are a lot of shovelware titles that seem to serve little purpose other than attention grabbing and/or easy means of profit. Sure, some games that I would most likely place in such a category that serve as a stepping stone toward a beginning developer's journey to bettering their craft. That said, there are also quite a few triple-A games out there which marketing teams make a lot of noise, give off the vibe of shiny objects & hype, but provide very little but to satisfy the lowest common denominator.

However, there are some indle games out there that do provide a very endearing experience to me inside & outside the immersion process without having to rely on large (and oftentimes bloated & wasted) budgets.

On that note, Nintendo gave quite an extensive list of indie games that will be released for the Switch this year & early next year via their Nindies Showcase Summer 2018. I am particularly looking forward to Into the Breach, which is already out.

Bonus question: how do you feel about Nintendo appealing to Indie fans via above Switch releases (and others for sure to come)?

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    A good indie esque company is frictional games. Every game they made has been good and enjoyable. Other than that, I don't play a lot of indie games so I wouldn't know. However I wouldn't be surprised if in this day and age a lot of indie games are just cash grabs

Years
  • I don't really care a lot about indie games, the only one played so far years ago was minecraft but i just got tired of it.
    If there are indie games that are just made to make money, is no surprise to me.
    However, i know not all indie games are like that.
    And again i am not an expert in indie games.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I love indie games in general - I agree they can be pretty hit or miss just due to the sheer volume of them that come out these days, but I think there are some real gems out there that are very unique and memorable experiences for me.
    Or perhaps do you see such games as a means to address issues that mainstream gaming corporations have a difficult time dealing with due to being too big to innovate (or something akin to that)?
    This is a good way of putting it for me. I feel like a lot of mainstream/AAA games and companies get too comfortable with their brand and running franchises, which makes sense for them from a business standpoint and I absolutely understand why they continue to crank out those games, but as a player the same formulas and titles get stale for me sometimes, so I really love browsing indie games for something new, something I haven't seen before, new concepts and characters, etc.
    Bonus question: how do you feel about Nintendo appealing to Indie fans via above Switch releases (and others for sure to come)?
    I think it's great. Nintendo is one of those companies to me that just keep sticking to the same names and titles year after year, so it's super refreshing to see them put out different games on their consoles. My only complaint would be that some of these indie ports aren't really all that optimized for the Switch so the controls are a bit clunky in some areas for games meant to be played with a mouse & keyboard. I suppose that's why they keep porting platformers to the Switch, probably a bit easier.

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
    Years
  • My only complaint would be that some of these indie ports aren't really all that optimized for the Switch so the controls are a bit clunky in some areas for games meant to be played with a mouse & keyboard. I suppose that's why they keep porting platformers to the Switch, probably a bit easier.
    This seems like a missed opportunity for Nintendo & indie developers. After all, one the biggest appeals for the Switch are the controls & overall system versatility (at least for me).

Perhaps Nintendo could do a quick-fix solution by making a USB keyboard/mouse setup for games optimized for such controls, if not force you to use your own setup on the Switch---assuming the system supports the firmware.

Back