• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Valleys - A Community

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Mar 24, 2024
    Hello everyone. Gelius here. Now you may be thinking. "Where the heck is the Past of the Past Remake?" To which i answer. It's coming, just slowly.

But i thought that perhaps a break from it would help my creative process. So i currently shelved the idea so i can pick it back up later. Instead, i want to have an RP for Spring of 2021. And after a while of thinking, something came to mind.

Everyone here loves Pokemon, one way or another, we experienced the games, interacted with magical creatures with powers that sometimes are way too scary.

So, as of writing this, i present to you my first Interest Check of 2021, as well as a Draft of:

Valleys - A Community

You are one of the many new farmers moving to one of the 6 settlements in Tranquility Valleys. You, by either means of someone's will or by purchasing it, buy a farm. The farm's nothing too special, but that's your job of doing that during the next couple times living in Tranquility Valleys.

In here, there's no evil organization. No Pokemon Gyms or League. It's just you and nature, and a community that's fading into obscurity. Most of the young ones left for big cities, unlike you, who came to connect with nature. Very little remain, and the remainder are either older adults or elders. People here are a very tight and knit community. Almost like a family. Communities like these where everyone knows each other. And yet, they're fading away.

Perhaps you can bring joy to this community. Perhaps you can make the city believe you can solve their issue. Make people see their traditions, and perhaps bring a glimmer of hope.

So yes. This is going to be a rural lifestyle your characters will place themselves. I took many inspirations on many villages across the country i live in, Portugal. Villages that are close to abandoned, with very old population.

This would consist in an open ended RP with a few main quests, and many side ones people could take. The goal would be working to the completion of a certain amount of total sidequests done, as well as finishing the main quests, leading to a final chapter, which would be a festival. Players would help the townspeople around in trying to make the villages a better place, trying to bring more people to this small rural area, help the area develop, etc.

One big example on how you cold improve the town. They sell Apricorn Balls only at the beginning, and rarely the occasional Poke Ball, in the Poke Ball department. Which could lead to you trying to develop that sector so the market's supply meets demand.

Another example. TMs are mostly not present. You get it either from buying them online, or convincing a salesman to come around and sell you some. There are old TMs (AKA TMs from Gens 1-4 and TRs) which you may found around, but they're one time use only.

There's more that could be ironed out, for sure. But what you think so far?

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I'm getting massive Stardew Valley vibes here, so the first question that comes to mind is will there be Junimo legend interference? Given the basic plot message it seems like the kind of thing that Calyrex or maybe some mythicals would be interested in meddling.

You also mentioned a lack of Pokéballs (at the beginning), but I'm assuming that we're working with a system in which they aren't absolutely necessary, just more of a convenience thing? Like, would say, a stray Rockruff or Glameow be tameable by just being nice and eventually befriending it?

Also, given it's a rural community I imagine there'll be some farm Pokémon like Miltank, Gogoat, Dubwool - maybe even Combees or Cutieflies for that honey farming. Are we assuming the vegetarian interpretation of Pokémon in which people don't eat Pokémon and only consume Pokémon byproducts if they're renewable (milk, non fertilized eggs, tails for some Pokémon) or that Pokémon meat is considered OK?

Because while farmers tend to be vegetarian / not eat their livestock - raising animals is hard -, whether a Pokémon meat market is normal or not has some economic and political implications that seem like they'd matter in this RP.

And there's the elephant in the room: close tight knit communities composed primarily of older people tend to be protective and somewhat defensive to newcomers at best and ... politically old-fashioned at worst.

Are we assume we live in a happy fantasy land in which racism, lgbtphobia and so on don't exist (or at least don't exist in these communities) or is that a possibility that we must keep in mind when creating / RPing the characters?

And finally, sorry for the long post and if it seems like I'm being overly critical, I do like the idea and think this could be fun. I just think these things influence a lot about how the game could go.

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Mar 24, 2024
    I'm getting massive Stardew Valley vibes here, so the first question that comes to mind is will there be Junimo legend interference? Given the basic plot message it seems like the kind of thing that Calyrex or maybe some mythicals would be interested in meddling.

Stardew had some inspiration. But i don't know if Calyrex would be involved. Maybe Celebi, but i might be wrong.

You also mentioned a lack of Pokéballs (at the beginning), but I'm assuming that we're working with a system in which they aren't absolutely necessary, just more of a convenience thing? Like, would say, a stray Rockruff or Glameow be tameable by just being nice and eventually befriending it?

A Pokemon being Stray would be able to be tamed yeah, but don't forget that there's still wildlife. The 6 settlements still have nature in-between them. Having a method of taming these wild creatures who know little of civilization would be preferred. I assume there could be other methods, but usually we default to Poke Balls.

Also, given it's a rural community I imagine there'll be some farm Pokémon like Miltank, Gogoat, Dubwool - maybe even Combees or Cutieflies for that honey farming. Are we assuming the vegetarian interpretation of Pokémon in which people don't eat Pokémon and only consume Pokémon byproducts if they're renewable (milk, non fertilized eggs, tails for some Pokémon) or that Pokémon meat is considered OK?

Because while farmers tend to be vegetarian / not eat their livestock - raising animals is hard -, whether a Pokémon meat market is normal or not has some economic and political implications that seem like they'd matter in this RP.

I assume consuming Milk, getting wool, consuming honey/nectar would be fine. Eggs is a big maybe, depends if the Egg itself in the first place was going to produce something at all. Fruit and Greens is obviously a big thing, and since the Pokemon World was confirmed to have many varieties of fish not classified as Pokemon yet, you could consume fish that aren't Pokemon. Of course, there's still things to sort out for this. But some of these products have been confirmed to be obtained peacefully from Pokemon in the Pokemon world. It's the meat situation that may need some tuning out. Maaaaybe Slowpoke Tails, since these are told to eventually grow their tails back?

And there's the elephant in the room: close tight knit communities composed primarily of older people tend to be protective and somewhat defensive to newcomers at best and ... politically old-fashioned at worst.

Are we assume we live in a happy fantasy land in which racism, lgbtphobia and so on don't exist (or at least don't exist in these communities) or is that a possibility that we must keep in mind when creating / RPing the characters?

While yes, mostly elder population lives in this community, they aren't super protective. They may at first not be super friendly to a newcomer, but they're not gonna be politically old-fashioned. Maybe a grumpy old man here and there. So while some people may be judgmental, i don't think there will be extremes. But it's always worth keep in mind that the people can have opinions on things. Of course, it depends how much you want to tip the scale.

And finally, sorry for the long post and if it seems like I'm being overly critical, I do like the idea and think this could be fun. I just think these things influence a lot about how the game could go.

No problem. It's good to know that people are interested!

Back