• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

EINVAL Error on Game Startup?

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    Hello all,

I recently attempted to test the base Essentials game (unmodified fresh install straight from the .zip).

---------------------------
    Pokemon Essentials
    ---------------------------
    Exception: Errno::EINVAL

Message: Invalid argument - C:\Users\Hecate\AppData\Local\Temp;c:\ffmpeg
    SpriteWindow:811:in `chdir'
    SpriteWindow:811:in `initialize'
    SpriteWindow:222:in `new'
    SpriteWindow:222:in `initialize'
    SpriteWindow:259:in `new'
    SpriteWindow:259:in `pbGetAutotile'
    Spriteset_Map:153:in `_animationSprite_initialize'
    Spriteset_Map:151:in `each'
    Spriteset_Map:151:in `_animationSprite_initialize'
    AnimationSprite:45:in `shadow_initialize'

This exception was logged in
    C:\Users\Hecate\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Any insight on this error would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Did you extract it or ran it from inside the .zip? Because I think it's the latter due to the directory.

Try extracting it then running it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    Did you extract it or ran it from inside the .zip? Because I think it's the latter due to the directory.

Try extracting it then running it.
    I have already extracted it from the .zip file that came with the download so I don't think that's problem.

Compile the game and it should fix itself.
    Compiling is holding "Ctrl" when play testing right? If so then I have tried it but the error still persists.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I have already extracted it from the .zip file that came with the download so I don't think that's problem.

Compiling is holding "Ctrl" when play testing right? If so then I have tried it but the error still persists.

I could never get that to work but if you can open the editor, there is a "Compile Data" option.

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    I could never get that to work but if you can open the editor, there is a "Compile Data" option.

What menu is it under? The closest thing I found was "Compress Game Data" under "File", but I thought that was for when you fully complete the game project? Just another thing I wanted to add on is that the game isn't complete, I am just play testing and the error pops up preventing me from playing the game past the "New Game" button.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    What menu is it under? The closest thing I found was "Compress Game Data" under "File", but I thought that was for when you fully complete the game project? Just another thing I wanted to add on is that the game isn't complete, I am just play testing and the error pops up preventing me from playing the game past the "New Game" button.

Oops, I meant Editor.exe. Open that and go to "Compile Data".

Back