• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do some cards value increase?

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Feb 24, 2018
I'm not sure if I'm right, but I think card value generally decrease (at least 99% of the time). The reason is first they become unplayable overtime when they get eliminated in standard play, it's like not many people are willing to pay for a card that is going to get eliminated in like 3 months. Second, there might be reprints of it in a future set or even multiple future sets (assuming the production company doesn't bankrupt), which means there's going to be more copies of that cards being circulated. So the card will be easier to get, and no one will be willing to pay too much money for it.

My question is why do some rare cards increase in value, such as the Base Charizard or the Genesis Lugia from like 17 years ago. Or a few other holos from the recent past within the past lets say 7-8 years.

Those cards, are not allowed in standard play, and even if they were, they are terrible to play with. My other question is, if whoever buying that card is willing to pay $50 for it today, why didnt those people just buy it 4 years ago when it was like $20.

Years
I'm not sure if I'm right, but I think card value generally decrease (at least 99% of the time). The reason is first they become unplayable overtime when they get eliminated in standard play, it's like not many people are willing to pay for a card that is going to get eliminated in like 3 months. Second, there might be reprints of it in a future set or even multiple future sets (assuming the production company doesn't bankrupt), which means there's going to be more copies of that cards being circulated. So the card will be easier to get, and no one will be willing to pay too much money for it.

My question is why do some rare cards increase in value, such as the Base Charizard or the Genesis Lugia from like 17 years ago. Or a few other holos from the recent past within the past lets say 7-8 years.

Those cards, are not allowed in standard play, and even if they were, they are terrible to play with. My other question is, if whoever buying that card is willing to pay $50 for it today, why didnt those people just buy it 4 years ago when it was like $20.

Basically, what is happening is that there was a nostalgia wave caused by both Pokemon Go and the 20th Anniversary celebration. There were also some mostly false videos released early in 2015 that said a lot of cards were considerably more valuable than they actually were that actually did cause prices to rise some because of naive buyers getting back into collecting the cards from the 20th anniversary and Pokemon Go.

And some of the cards just have popular Pokemon on them or have nostalgia value for people, like Base Set Charizard.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Feb 24, 2018
It's a tough question, but what do YOU think will happen in the future to prices of rare cards such as the base set zard. Will it increase or decrease. I'm not expert but I remember a base set zard was only like 25-35usd about 4-5 years ago, and now it's like triple or close to triple that.

Years
It's a tough question, but what do YOU think will happen in the future to prices of rare cards such as the base set zard. Will it increase or decrease. I'm not expert but I remember a base set zard was only like 25-35usd about 4-5 years ago, and now it's like triple or close to triple that.

It will slowly increase at a minimum as it gets harder to come by. I don't think it'll skyrocket again unless another major surge in demand happens.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 9, 2019
Because people love the nostalgia, and kind of feed off each other's excitement, which makes it fun!

Back