• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best ROM to use?

Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2008
So I started making an Emerald Hack, because I heard it has the most features and whatnot, but I've also heard that it can get unstable very quickly.
So which (Advance Gen) ROM is the best for a n00b's first hack?

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
So I started making an Emerald Hack, because I heard it has the most features and whatnot, but I've also heard that it can get unstable very quickly.

I think that this question should belong to the "Simple Questions" thread but, anyway, my opinion is that a R/S ROM could be better for beginners since most of the tools work with these ROMs.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
Years
The best, overall, would be Ruby. Every program you find for Advanced-generation hacking will work for Ruby. It's your safest bet.

Latieon

ULTIMATE Mapper
Years
no i feel the best rom to use is Firered(US)
Its really stable and less gilchy.And the default graphics(if you want to use them) are better than that of ruby or sapphire.Even leaf green is equally good.
But i really dont understand why people use more of firered as a rom base and leaf green is not used so often?

Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2008
I've given up on Emerald, the benefits just aren't worth the frustration. But I'm still unsure about whether i want to use Fire Red or Ruby. Anyone else have any advice?

Teh Baro

In my times...!
Years
no i feel the best rom to use is Firered(US)
Its really stable and less gilchy.And the default graphics(if you want to use them) are better than that of ruby or sapphire.Even leaf green is equally good.
But i really dont understand why people use more of firered as a rom base and leaf green is not used so often?

FR and LG have less support on some things.
LG has even less than FR

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2008
BlueSonic, he asked for Advance Gen games..
Gold isn't advance gen :/

shadowboy166

Gues who's internet is working
Years
  • Age 29
  • hell
  • Seen Dec 7, 2023
Well i sat ruby because all the tools are for ruby and somebody has already found the offsets for the Hoen tilemap. Also when i first started hacking FireRed i ended up getting to mapping and it all glitched up. Also after i started again i ended braking the ROM. So Ruby is a begginners best option.

thundermew

Mew of Thunder
Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2014
I recommend Ruby, its suppored by a lot of programs
A second choice would be FireRed

Supreme Dirt

used Petal Dance
Years
  • Age 32
  • o3o
  • Seen Dec 4, 2014
I use FireRed. But if you can somhow find support for it, use LeafGreen. Supposedly it is more stable than FR.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 12, 2012
FireRed just because of its tool compatibility. I used emerald for my hack and it came out great though. Depends what your gonna do with the rom.

thepog

Wifi Trainer
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2011
Ruby!

Your best bet is ruby since a majority of programs support it, eg. A-mart, and much more, I wouldn't suggest Emerald because it is the hardest to hack, and do fire red after you've become a bit more advance, mainly because fire red can be hard to hack at times if you don't know what you're doing.

natu133

Belive It!
Years
I started on Fire-Red. A-MART works fine on it, and i only started around 3 days ago..i tried to hack emerald and its really hard cause a heap of INI files are missing. So, really, just find the roms, and try them all to find one you feel sutible with, then work upwards from there.

score_under

Inactive; Former ROM hack tool author, ❤️
Years
Fire red is the best if you use advance map.
Remember to concentrate on important things like the script and the map, rather than the intro pokemon and mart data.

Maikeru92

Mickadamia Nut!
Years
I am in a similiar position as the first person, except for I'm still wondering if I should hack Emerald or FireRed. It seems that FireRed is more stable, but doesnt Emerald have more pallettes?

thundermew

Mew of Thunder
Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2014
To make it easier I'll post the ROMs with their advantages and disadvantages

Ruby/Sapphire
Advantages: Support for a lot of programs
Distavantages: The default graphics aren't as good
FireRed/LeafGreen
Advantages: Has better graphics and music
Disadvantages: Doesn't have as much support as Ruby/Sapphire
Emerald
Advantages: Has all of the features from Ruby/Sapphire plus some from FireRed/LeafGreen
Disadvantages: Isn't support by a lot of problems and hard to hack

Back