• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 6] Toughening Omega Ruby with the Nuzlocke

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
Welcome, reader. Hope you're having a great day, if not, never mind, the best is yet to come, so hope for it!😀

Alright, here is my nuzlocke run of Pokemon Omega Ruby. This is my first ever Nuzlocke run of a Pokemon game, rather, the first ever Pokemon challenge I'm taking. I didn't think I'd ever do one, but I thought it would be a lot of fun to go through. Given below are the rules I will be following:

Rules

1: Standard Nuzlocke rules and the main rules featured in this thread.
2: Nickname every Pokemon I catch.
3: Shiny clause
4: Dupes clause
5: Exp. Share is not allowed
6: No legendaries or mythicals will be used.
7: I won't heal in Pokemon centers.

Also, if there is something I can improve upon, please do let me know!

Well, pretty much that's it, so let's jump into Hoenn for the umpteenth time! (Well, personally, at least)

Post 1:

I start off with the username Siddhar, as per usual, choosing to play as the male protagonist. I choose Treecko as my starter. (Welcome aboard, Vatika, let's give our very best on this one!)
Anyway, Not counting Treecko as a catch, I catch a Poochyena(with Thunder Fang) at route 101. (Heya, Kali! Aren't you electrifyingly Dark?)

I proceed to finish the initial obligations of battling May and teaching Wally how to catch Pokemon which I believe he did on his own.

In route 102, I catch a Zigzagoon, level 5. (I need you for the HMs, I won't let you die, Matryoshka!) It knows no attacking move, so I'm switch training it. I could only play for 45 minutes. This is my team after today's session:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
POST 2:
After the previous session, I thought I was ready for anything. Well, naturally, there were issues, but I have to bear them.
Kali and Vatika had close shaves and I was frightened, obviously. Yet, I could make my way out of this situation, as Matryoshka(who at this point didn't even have a single attack) reduced the opponent Pokemon's accuracy and attack, because of which I'm happy I didn't miss out on Zigzagoon.
Money is never a problem,though, as I can battle a trainer and get enough money for Potions and a Pokeball(which, in this case, aren't that useful).

There are some strange things in Hoenn that I always forget. WHY would you use a Full Restore on your Zigzagoon, Rich Boy Winston ? Also, Lady Cindy, that was ridiculous! (And hilarious) :
Spoiler:

I could defeat Roxxane with ease, but then the problems started showing up. As I had chosen not to visit Pokemon centers, the PP of my Pokemon's moves were running out (Insert Joseph Joestar's OH NO!) and I could barely do anything to prevent it. I found ethers at the right nick of time(luck's good),though. The PP issue is worrying as there won't be as many ethers and elixirs lying around as the Potions. I'm waiting desperately to get my hands on Leppa Berries, because Kali's out of Thunder Fang. She's got Bite, but it won't stay for long. The same is the case for Vatika, who learned Mega Drain, which just has 15 PP, and I have already used it 7 times.

At the moment, I'm parked at Granite Cave, where Toxa, a female Level 12 Zubat, joined the team(No boys so far, heh). Also, Matryoshka was taught Cut, which happens to be its first attacking move. My team's weak to Brawly's as well. Though Toxa will learn Wing Attack next level, Brawly's got some Rock type moves up his sleeve, if I recall correctly. I hope for the best! Nuzlockes are fun and thrilling, aren't they? Anyway, here's my team after today's playthrough:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
post 3:
After another hour and a half of gameplay, a lot of things happened. It wasn't totally a good outing this time.

After a bit of training, Vatika evolved into Grovyle and Toxa learned Wing Attack. This was super helpful in the second gym.
I picked up the courage to face Brawly and I did face him, but the battle hardly lasted two minutes. Toxa dealt with his Machop with ease and OHKO'ed his Makuhita with a critical hit. I was pleasantly shocked. Yippee, the second badge!
After going through the story, meeting Steven and docking at Slateport, I met up with Team Magma. This was the most intense Team Magma fight, as the theme really matched the feeling of the battle. The foe Numel's flame burst wrecked Kali. It was a critical hit. I knew this had to happen sometime, but not now. I was aghast, because, well, she died... (Kali, you fought bravely, blinded your paralyzed opponents, and deafened them with you howls. May your soul rest in peace...). The next battle nearly took Matryoshka(yikes), but I managed to hold on and defeat the grunts. Maxie's consequent warning seemed real for the first time.

sigh Next, I took on the trainers in the routes, nothing special, but finally something epic happened. I found the Leppa Berries! It was a celebratory moment for me, though I was mourning Kali's death. I began a farm immediately, by planting two of the four berries I had got. The other noticeable thing that took place was me getting the contest pass, which increases my chance of getting Leppa Berries.
So, here's the team after today's playthrough:
Spoiler:

Here lie those who fought bravely, but could not make it:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
I have a tight academic schedule for the next two weeks, so I won't be able to post regularly.

Getting to the nuzlocke, Melian the Minun joined our team(It's still a girls' team). Toxa, my Zubat, died. Yep. Indeed, it is the truth. It was a total disaster, as a critical hit Spark from a trainer's Plusle took Toxa down... Ouch. Mismanagement.

Since then, I have been grinding a bit more. Melian, whom I caught at level 12, is now Level 18. Vatika is now level 21, which is not much, as I won't be requiring it as much as Melian for the battle against May. I only remember her having a Wailmer and Combusken, as I'm sure she's got three Pokemon on her team as of now. Matryoshka is of Level 17 now. The Leppa Berry farming has been good, as I could harvest 14 berries, out of which 7 were planted and 5 were used, which leaves 2 berries.

Anyway, I've a big challenge ahead of me(from my perspective, that is), so I'm nervous about it. Combusken is a tough Pokemon to beat when you've got no flying type. More grinding is on the way, as it's going to get even tougher on the road ahead. Yet, we are Pokemon trainers, not afraid of challenges, are we? So bring it on!!
My team after today's playthrough:

Spoiler:

Here lie those who fought bravely, but could not make it:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Why did you summon a bat against an Electric mon in the first place? But overall, this is very good! Coincidentally you started this around the time I came back to my ORAS nuzrun's delta episode (I have completed that by now). Keep it up!

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
Why did you summon a bat against an Electric mon in the first place? But overall, this is very good! Coincidentally you started this around the time I came back to my ORAS nuzrun's delta episode (I have completed that by now). Keep it up!

I was being stupid:( It was against those twins who send out Plusle and Minun. I didn't want my Zigzagoon, which was running low on HP, to die because I did not want to sacrifice a HM friend. I thought the bat would take it, but it broke, so R.I.P. This is one of my silliest mistakes, smh.
Also, it's awesome that you finished the ORAS nuzrun of yours, cheers :)

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
All right, after a hectic week(probably not as much as yours, but I couldn't post because of businesses) I'm looking forward to another four days that are tightly packed.

I did not miss out on continuing the Nuzlocke. I was not confident of facing May with the team I had, her Combusken could single-handedly wipe out my team. so I went fishing and caught the 'karp, who is now known as Alex, at Level 10.
Spoiler:

I did a bit of grinding each day during the gap between the previous update and this. I ended up beating May with ease (and I always seem to forget that she has a Shroomish, but I always remember the Wailmer of hers for some reason).

The team in the previous post has changed in two ways in terms of the Pokemon. No Pokemon died, so that's something I am happy about. The other thing, two of my team members evolved, Alex and Matryoshka. Matryoshka also learned Rock Smash now, which is good for a HM friend, I guess.
The Leppa Berry farming has swelled up to a produce of 56 berries(7 berries per tree, 8 trees grown). Thus ends my struggle for conserving PP. This berry growing is broken in ORAS. Had it been SM or USUM, it wouldn't have been this easy. The next target is the Mauville gym, of course, but I'd like to battle the Winstrate family, or was it the Winston family? :P

The team looks like this now:
Spoiler:

These souls are at peace:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
This run is not on a hiatus, haha! It's been a while since an update, mostly because I was occupied throughout this time. I barely got time to play, so there has been little development from the previous update.

I beat Wattson easily as I was overtrained for this battle. I used a Heart Scale to make Alex (re)learn the move Thrash, though I didn't use him in the Mauville Gym at all. The Winstrates helped in training me, and Matryoshka bamboozled the Elektrike with her Headbutts. It was amazing. I don't know why, but Vatika's Grass Pledge is almost always resulting in one-hit knockouts. This helped a lot with the Winstrates. I made my way to Meteor Falls and beat Tabitha too. Nothing much after this. I am currently stationed at the top of Mount Pyre, eager to challenge Team Magma on a more serious note. But seriously though, why do villains have funny dialogue?

The current status:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
This time, there has been a good bit of progress, but again, it was a bittersweet experience.
I found out that Alex, the Gyarados, was more than enough to beat both Maxie atop Mount Chimney and Flannery. Every Numel I encountered went down with a single bulldoze, though I had to go twice for Maxie's Camerupt. It was overpowered with the combination of Dragon Rage and Bulldoze. Oh yes, let's get to the new team members real quick! I caught Sonia the Skarmory on Route 113. I thought I'd run into a Spinda, but luck was good. Sonia was the key Pokemon in the Normal Gym, beating all three of Norman's Pokemon, which gave it a ton of Exp. Next up, I'd got Sandy the Trapinch in the desert, the latest member.

Apparently you get one-hit KO'd when you are retaliated against for nothing... At least for my dear Matryoshka, who opened the battle against Norman. The slacking Slaking went straightaway for a Retaliate and kaboom! Matryoshka died. Now I have to hope to get a Linoone in the later routes. apart from this, I guess I'll go for the Swords Dance TM because I missed it. I will ignore the egg the old lady gives in Lavaridge Town for now, and go for filling the slot of HM Friend.

Team:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
This run is not on a hiatus, haha!
Haha! Ha! Ha! Ha! ha....ha... Okay, my mistake, I din't expect things to take me out of Pokecommunity itself, much less my nuzlocke chalenge.

Reason for hiatus: It's been forever! Okay... realistically speaking, about three-and-a-half months since I last updated this nuzlog. I did not play Omega Ruby throughout this entire duration. My finals are done and I now have the freedom to do some things that I've wanted to do for a long time. Though I did get time before the finals, I used it to play Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (and I don't regret it).

Nuzlocke update: Critical Hits seem to love me.
With the nuzlocke resuming, I found myself at the Weather Institute (which is pretty much a drink vending machine now). I bought a stock of Soda Pops and Lemonades (No healing in Pokémon centres, after all!). Team magma was easy to beat, and the team levelled up decently. I had traversed Hoenn a bit and caught a Trapinch, whom I named Sandy (I didn't find anything creative at the moment). But Sandy, in its first-ever battle as a team member, got one-shotted to oblivion. Nate the Machop was added to the team, though he hasn't yet had his time.

I realised I was under-levelled for the current area, and decided to run into trainers. As the Flying-type Gym was next, Melian had to be at the top of her game. Tragic struck when I was battling the random Keckeon that appears when you use the Silph Scope for the first time, it struck a critical hit slash that obliterated Melian, and I was thunderstruck. Melian carried the team so far, on many occasions, and I had hoped she would make it to the very end. After two minutes of shock (it took some time to digest what had happened), I avenged her with the help of Nate, who had no trouble whatsoever taking the camouflaging reptile Pokémon down.

Sonia tanked her way to level 31, surviving many critical hits and kept shining in the battles (literally - she learned the move: Flash). Alex is now at Level 33, and has been the most offensive member of the team. We faced a lot of trouble against Bird Keepers, with Pelipper owners (including Winona) spamming Protect and Roost. The battles were long, and the opponents landed a fair amount of critical hits. One bird keeper was particularly frustrating. He used a Xatu with Confuse Ray, Wish, Air Slash and Ominous Wind. I took him on with Sonia because I intended to train her, and as Ominous Wind boosted all the stats of Xatu, it began inflicting large(r) amount of damage. Sonia being, the most defensive Pokémon on the team did survive those attacks, though I admit I nearly lost her too. It was continuous healing for seven turns, with Xatu landing two critical Air Slashes, endangering a confused Sonia, apart from healing itself with WIsh. I won only by elongating the battle to such an extent that the Xatu ran out of all moves except Air Slash. This is when Melian's loss stung the hardest. Winona troubled a bit with her Pelipper, but Altaria was didn't even use Cotton Dance. It perished to Alex's newly-learned, ideally-timed Ice Fang, which has four times as effective as normal against a non-mega-evolved Altaria.

Route 121 is where I am now, and there's going to be a bit of grinding. Saketh the Shuppet joined us and can use both Will-O-Wisp and Hex, which is neat. I replaced Flash with Spikes because it is, in my opinion, a better move for Sonia than FLash ever will be.
The team after this update is as follows:

TEAM
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
The team's finally under-levelled! And unfortunately, I am seeing the consequences now. The game hasn't been kind to me since Route 120. First, it was Melian, and now, with a heavy heart, I declare Alex too, as dead. In a nutshell, I faced a pair of twins on Route 121, and one of them had a Pokemon that loves to destroy my Pokemon, Slaking. One took my Matryoshka, now another dragged my Alex to doom. It was a Chip Away, but it went for a critical hit, obnoxiously. This proves that all the Slaking have a distaste for me. As if to balance the team and swear vengeance, Vatika evolved into Sceptile and has been unstoppable since.
wLfH97W.jpg

I did catch a new Pokemon on Route 121 though - it was a Shuppet, which I called Saketh, who too did not make it out of this gameplay session. Furthermore, I came across a place called Scorched Slab, where I caught Vanflare, a female Golbat. Vanflare and Sonia have been particularly been amazing, spearheading the team through battles despite being of lower levels. Vanflare annihilated May's Blaziken with her Fly. The Safari Zone gifted me Kom, a female Heracross (whom I named after Mary Kom). Kom has been a rock, wrecking every Pokemon that's weak to her in a single Brick Break.

But there was a bit of magic in this session: As if Alex was reborn, wanted to finish this journey with us, a Level 25 female Magikarp came to me. I named her Brook and she's now a Gyarados. I was hoping to fish up a decent Pokemon with the Good Rod, but good Magikarp is OK, though I could have followed the Dupes Clause... I was in dire need of a Pokemon that could use Surf, lest the story would not progress. Brook is just like Alex: she knocked out high0level Team Magma Pokemon with ease (and even an annoying Confuse Ray Ninetales which was bulky)! I stumbled upon Alwar, my Duskull here, who is now at Level 30.
I am stationed at Lilycove City now and will give chase to Nerd Maxie.

TEAM
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
Hello, and I hope you and your family are safe, stay safe, and make it out of this chaos. Follow self-quarantine and social distancing please: you wouldn't want your life to be a nuzlocke, would you?
We do have news from today's gameplay. The good news is, Vanflare is now a gorgeous Crobat. The bad news, no ghost wants to be alive for me. Alwar died..... rather he was damned to the "At Peace" box (the name of my dead box). Ghost types aren't alive but aren't dead either. Alwar was not meant to survive, with a meagre 52 Hp in stock, he was, naturally, and unfortunately, one hit KO'ed in traditional my Pokémon death style.

On the brighter side of things (literally), I faced Groudon after infiltrating Team Magma's "hideout" and defeating the easiest Gym leaders, Tate and Liza. Sonia and Vatika thrashed the Solrock in turn-one when the Solrock-Lunatone pair was doing the set-up. Next turn, Lunatone was defeated, and we didn't even get a scratch! Vanflare chose the right gym to evolve, as she evolved into a Crobat at Level 36, and with her Shadow Ball, tamed the Mossdeep Gym. Maxie was easy, Kom one-shotting her twelfth Mightyena (despite being nine levels lower). Kom is simply too reliable, and she even tanked super-effective attacks I didn't see coming!

The hype was real when I chose Brook to face Camerupt, which Mega Evolved all for a single Yawn! Brook was faster than Mega Camerupt, and we took it down with two Surf attacks. Amazing power of mega evolution. Note that I'm not allowed to mega evolve, which is really wonderful, otherwise I would have cheesed through many sections here. I caught Groudon with a master ball, but what happened before it was ludicrously laughable! I mindlessly sent out Brook to deal with Groudon and attacked with Surf. Groudon used Precipice Blades, five times in a row, on flying types. I had sent out Vanflare for Exp. and thought it would be fun as I didn't think Groudon would KO it anyway. Vanflare was faster and poisoned Groudon with her fangs. Groudon, the embodiment of land, went for Precipice Blades. I did not want further risks, so I just chucked the Master Ball at it and headed for Sootopolis Gym (God, the cutscenes are long). At the moment, I'm stationed here and hope to get these ice puzzles right.

Here's something you'll not be able to overlook now, haha!
Spoiler:

Miscellaneous Stuff: This is my first nuzlocke, and I did not expect myself to come this far with the set of Pokémon I had. I still am unclear about the future, with the Elite 4 looming ever closer, and me not having a good tea to counter them has always been a fear in me. Well, what I've learned from this nuzlocke is that it is through these runs that our Pokemon feel alive, and have more character. I am loving the experience, and hope I can bash Steven for Alex's sake. I will surely go for another nuzlocke after this, maybe with some other rules, it'll be fun!

TEAM
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
I have to salute Sonia because whenever there's a Pokemon that uses moves like Self-Destruct or Explosion, she stands tall, barely taking any damage, even if the user is of a higher level than her. She's the boss of tanking in my team.
bda042ec80175516223459d1d6bf6be0--fairy-tail.jpg
Anyway, I exterminated defeated the Sootopolis Gym with Vatika's help. She OHKO'd every Pokemon and learned X-Scissor. I made my way to Shoal Cave and guess what? I caught a Cubchoo. Meet Boreas, the cute little sneeze boy. He was at Level 34, and now Level 35. With half my team still in the thirties, I can't go on just like that, so I'll do some grinding to satisfy requirements. Nothing notable happened, except Sonia surviving a bunch of self-destructions and high-power attacks.
I'll focus more on Kom for the next time I play. She's not going down too. I believe in Kom, she lives up to her name.

TEAM
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Ah, I remeber reading this thread, good times. Could have sworn I made more than one post here though.

So if you or anyone are reading this, good job so far! Especially on keeping Skarmory alive. Considering that in my ORAS nuzrun mine died to Reversal. yes I know the recent Skarmory and Mantine thread on Poke general inspired me to come back here to comment that

Back