• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Rocket Rising

hirokimura

Miltank's Fanboy Number One
Years
  • Eheh, I'm glad I could made the day then <3
    Recruitment is a flavor thing indeed. Except for Zach and Luke (Tho I don't have the 50 yet), they're not useful in game. When we took over st anne and we have to choose a recruited character, I thought it was about to add something in game, but trying both with the bike guy and the first guy you recruit didn't change anything.
    Maybe you could make some sidequests available only by having them as recruit, like Ichiro and Sabrina's gym. Or make use of their dialogues, like Tali who talks about vermilion being taken over I really thought it was a hint to unlock something at vermillion but I was wrong.
    Or they could give services to pokemons/player like items, move tutors, or something like that you know ^^

I'd also want the two nameless sbires who are always arguing to have some screen time. Maybe become the "favourite minions" of the player once he becomes lieutnant, that would be great :3
    I wonder what will happen in the Bad end ! I mean, I really love how the bond between Gary and the player is torn apart when you go in the "It's my job" route. This is heartbreaking even if there are few interactions between them. So I could imagine well how Oak and mother would react, since Gary's sister is already informed about that (I'm refering to Redra's mission when you choose to hide in Pallet).

I'm starting again with the boy, And I tend to think the power curve is not bad ! I mean, there are few griding places that can be exploited well early game and late game ! Maybe I could make a tutorial about this, like "Tips and tricks" you know. I'd have to start a third save but whatever, I'd enjoy anyway.

Owww I'm glad I could guess Maxx <3 And I'm sorry, I didn't even see that Idris was a GIRL. I mean, I was so shocked in my second run when I saw Maxx speaking about Idris using HER. I was like WTF x) But I like those type of girls in anime :3 They're strong and they don't care about anything, that's fun.

Thanks for the bug. But don't worry, I mean, it's not that refraining in the mutagen/caretaker. It's not like we're using this a lot in the game so you can just give 5 mins to try every options until you have the good pokemon you know, not like we have a full box of mons. If it's hard to fix by now, I think you should focus on more important things ^^

I noticed the bar on top of screen and it's doing its job well. I just can't get the last point in the bar, I don't know why. Took over the center, the mart, beat Lt surge, welll I guess I'll have to check again :3

But again, you did a very good job in this game ! I'm playing my second run, I couldn't just end and move over xD

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2020
    Progress: The school year is coming, and my free time is coming to an end. Prepare for updates to slow down, as usual.
    I'm starting to implement the new Recruit usefulness, but it involves gutting some of the cities like Saffron and Vermilion as a result. But your Recruits will now do things like heal you, or sell you things, or give you effects in battle, depending on who they are.

Eheh, I'm glad I could made the day then <3
    Recruitment is a flavor thing indeed. Except for Zach and Luke (Tho I don't have the 50 yet), they're not useful in game. When we took over st anne and we have to choose a recruited character, I thought it was about to add something in game, but trying both with the bike guy and the first guy you recruit didn't change anything.
    Maybe you could make some sidequests available only by having them as recruit, like Ichiro and Sabrina's gym. Or make use of their dialogues, like Tali who talks about vermilion being taken over I really thought it was a hint to unlock something at vermillion but I was wrong.
    Or they could give services to pokemons/player like items, move tutors, or something like that you know ^^
    The service route is where I'm heading. It's small enough that it's doable with 30 people, but still adds an interesting flair for each different recruit!
    I wish the recruits could have stronger effects during the SSAnne or other sidequests, but when you try and do that with 30 different conditional branches it gets... massive. I think I'm starting to understand why more games don't have these Suikoden-esque systems.

I'd also want the two nameless sbires who are always arguing to have some screen time. Maybe become the "favourite minions" of the player once he becomes lieutnant, that would be great :3
    I wonder what will happen in the Bad end ! I mean, I really love how the bond between Gary and the player is torn apart when you go in the "It's my job" route. This is heartbreaking even if there are few interactions between them. So I could imagine well how Oak and mother would react, since Gary's sister is already informed about that (I'm refering to Redra's mission when you choose to hide in Pallet).
    Ah the screw up twins. They're fun! I tend to forget about them until it's time for a comedic breather moment, but yeah, I can probably throw them in the BadEnd route somewhere. I'm sure they would argue about which of them is the "favourite".
    Every time I write Gary into the story I feel worse and worse for him.
    One of these times around I'm going to make him able to remember what the Player has said to him previously, for maximum pain.
    It'll be great!

I noticed the bar on top of screen and it's doing its job well. I just can't get the last point in the bar, I don't know why. Took over the center, the mart, beat Lt surge, welll I guess I'll have to check again :3

The last point is probably the better hidden one, which involves the Slowpoke Tail quest.
    Spoiler:

hirokimura

Miltank's Fanboy Number One
    Years
  • Progress: The school year is coming, and my free time is coming to an end. Prepare for updates to slow down, as usual.
    I'm starting to implement the new Recruit usefulness, but it involves gutting some of the cities like Saffron and Vermilion as a result. But your Recruits will now do things like heal you, or sell you things, or give you effects in battle, depending on who they are.

Nice ! Can't wait to start a new game with those features :D It's perfect :3

The service route is where I'm heading. It's small enough that it's doable with 30 people, but still adds an interesting flair for each different recruit!
    I wish the recruits could have stronger effects during the SSAnne or other sidequests, but when you try and do that with 30 different conditional branches it gets... massive. I think I'm starting to understand why more games don't have these Suikoden-esque systems.

I get it. It's kinda hardcore when you have multiple conditional branches. Then what about that : Even if you recruited them, some may be on missions that were given by the first chief (When you're a rookie) or a lieutnant so they're unavailable for now, so you can only pick from like 3-4 guys to take over st anne? I think that would be legit to see a "Rockets available for this missions are" you know?

Ah the screw up twins. They're fun! I tend to forget about them until it's time for a comedic breather moment, but yeah, I can probably throw them in the BadEnd route somewhere. I'm sure they would argue about which of them is the "favourite".
    Every time I write Gary into the story I feel worse and worse for him.
    One of these times around I'm going to make him able to remember what the Player has said to him previously, for maximum pain.
    It'll be great!

I love the screw up team and I could imagine well the arguing in the bad end route. Like you take over the whole rocket and they're still arguing about who is the favourite minion x) That would be so fun x) I feel bad for Gary, but at the same time it's really good to see his suffering hahaha I'm sadistic x) I'll look forward the variable addition too, that will be great <3
    Thanks for the tip ! Indeed that was that point and it was worth it. (Let's be honest, Louis' mom sucks. I mean c'mon her son is inside a house in the city and she's wondering where he is xD) I have made some progress too by the way ! Check this !

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2021
    So I restarted the game with the latest version and was having my fun with it. Decided to mutate Gastly and Chansey when the option became available. The strangest thing happened when my Gastly hit level 25 though. It evolved as expected, but then it tried to evolve again. Into Haunter. Then it repeated the process by evolving into Gengar twice. It somehow ended up at level 97 as well! o.O

I was on Route 13 to the east of Vermillion and accidentally bumped into one of the fishermen, so I fought him. That's when my Gastly finally reached level 25 to evolve. Not sure if location has anything to do with this strange bug, but I figured I should report it, as suddenly having a level 97 pokemon kinda trivialized the next several fights (before I realized it's level had jumped up by 70+). Luckily I still have a Koffing that I stuck in the daycare awhile back so I can use that as a substitute to get back some of the challenge.

Hopefully someone can reproduce this bug or suggest a way that it might have happened.

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2020
    Progress: Up to 19 recruits that are in the game, some just not tested fully yet. Have the ideas in place for two more.

I get it. It's kinda hardcore when you have multiple conditional branches. Then what about that : Even if you recruited them, some may be on missions that were given by the first chief (When you're a rookie) or a lieutnant so they're unavailable for now, so you can only pick from like 3-4 guys to take over st anne? I think that would be legit to see a "Rockets available for this missions are" you know?
    Oh snap, that's a good idea.
    I can put way more detail in that way, and it makes sense that not everyone would be available for every mission.

Spoiler:
    I loved writing Maxx and Redra for that route. Some parts are just easy to imagine and write out, and it couldn't have gone smoother in that case.
    There are all kinds of villain monologues to draw from after all, and in the GoodEnd I got to use some fun variations. The Player's speech to Giovanni was the only hard one. It was a hard idea to try to convey in only so many words.
    Also, overall, writing BadEnd has also been way harder than the GoodEnd.

I'll fix the Rocketgirl thing in Saffron, should be good by next update.

So I restarted the game with the latest version and was having my fun with it. Decided to mutate Gastly and Chansey when the option became available. The strangest thing happened when my Gastly hit level 25 though. It evolved as expected, but then it tried to evolve again. Into Haunter. Then it repeated the process by evolving into Gengar twice. It somehow ended up at level 97 as well! o.O

I was on Route 13 to the east of Vermillion and accidentally bumped into one of the fishermen, so I fought him. That's when my Gastly finally reached level 25 to evolve. Not sure if location has anything to do with this strange bug, but I figured I should report it, as suddenly having a level 97 pokemon kinda trivialized the next several fights (before I realized it's level had jumped up by 70+). Luckily I still have a Koffing that I stuck in the daycare awhile back so I can use that as a substitute to get back some of the challenge.

Hopefully someone can reproduce this bug or suggest a way that it might have happened.

Hey, you're right, it WAS something to do specifically with Rt 12! There was an extra copy of the "Evolve" script running in that area, so it just kept... going.
    Nice catch! It'll be fixed in the next update.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2021
    Does this extra evolve script also account for the sudden increase in level? As I mentioned, Gengar didn't stay at level 25, but jumped up to level 97 when the evolutions finally stopped.

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2020
    Does this extra evolve script also account for the sudden increase in level? As I mentioned, Gengar didn't stay at level 25, but jumped up to level 97 when the evolutions finally stopped.

Yeah, since you evolve right after you gain a level, there is some slight level changes going on in the Evolve script.
    Normally this means that you end up with a Pokemon that hasn't mysteriously gained or lost a Level when it evolves.
    But since there was an extra copy of that script, it just added levels back and forth continuously.

If you want to reset your Gastly, there should still be a board on Lvl 1 of the Rocket Base. It fixes glitches, and if you pick "Mu!Gastly missing moves" it will reset your Gastly/Haunter/Gengar back to level 12. It should still keep it's Mutated status, as well as its evolution.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2021
    So I went and reset my gastly/gengar in the area, just as you said, but while the dialogue said it was reset to level 12, it somehow ended up as a level 7 or something. It didn't take long to push it back up to the mid-teens, but now that it's there the grind is real.

On another note, I've discovered that if you are on the bicycle and teleport back to base, you can keep riding it around. Sometimes, even if you get off the bike, you continue to move at bicycle speeds. This usually occurs after cutscenes, like when you get promoted to lieutenant after defeating the scientists in the three cities.

Other things:
    1) How do you do the side quest in Lavender Town concerning the fake Gym? The rocket NPC says "there's a cave nearby, go get me some rocks", but I'm not understanding what I'm looking for. Is this quest even possible right now, or is it kinda like Bill's house and only partially implemented? I say this because I visited Bill's cottage while wandering around trying to explore/grind levels on trainers and noticed some stuff that caused a set of stairs to spawn. However, the stairs wouldn't allow passage, so I left.

2) As someone mentioned in this thread previously, there seems to be a pretty big difficulty spike after becoming a lieutenant. I was on my way to cerulean city for the slowpoke tail quest and Idris' mission and one of the random trainers on the route between saffron and cerulean had level 40 Pokemon! My highest is 28! Sure, the Clefable and Wigglytuff mostly spammed Sing, but it was quite annoying to deal with.

3) Speaking of the Slowpoke Tail quest, where is the NPC in Lavender Town that bought one? I spoke to every single NPC in the city and not one of them mentioned it.

4) Idris' Cave Mission. So I went to meet Idris in the stated location, but that cave is full of tons of obnoxious wild pokemon! I get that this is meant to be another 'dungeon' of sorts, similar to the power plant, and maybe I am just too easily annoyed, but constantly having to drain my pokemon's MP to fight a battle every 10 steps seems like overkill to me.

4a) I also discovered by accident that if you stand to either side of Idris when she's outside and about to reveal the cave entrance to you, she just stands there and can't do anything. I didn't sit there long, as I assumed that I had bugged it, but I thought I should mention it anyhow.

I really like the game overall, so these are just some minor nitpicks/bug reports of mine.

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2020
    Progress: Character portraits. So many character portraits.
    x2 because most of them have to be in a Rocket uniform later.

I'm pretty much done with the final Oak event. But... it leads directly into the ending, which I'm just not quite happy with yet.
    Endings are hard.

So I went and reset my gastly/gengar in the area, just as you said, but while the dialogue said it was reset to level 12, it somehow ended up as a level 7 or something. It didn't take long to push it back up to the mid-teens, but now that it's there the grind is real.

On another note, I've discovered that if you are on the bicycle and teleport back to base, you can keep riding it around. Sometimes, even if you get off the bike, you continue to move at bicycle speeds. This usually occurs after cutscenes, like when you get promoted to lieutenant after defeating the scientists in the three cities.
    Level 7? Huh. It should have an initial level of 12, and just re-initialize to that level. Dunno what went wrong.
    Ah, the teleporters. Okay, that'll be fixed by next update.
    As for Bike speeds, I'll keep an eye out for it. At least it isn't game breaking, just kind of silly.

Other things:
    1) How do you do the side quest in Lavender Town concerning the fake Gym? The rocket NPC says "there's a cave nearby, go get me some rocks", but I'm not understanding what I'm looking for. Is this quest even possible right now, or is it kinda like Bill's house and only partially implemented? I say this because I visited Bill's cottage while wandering around trying to explore/grind levels on trainers and noticed some stuff that caused a set of stairs to spawn. However, the stairs wouldn't allow passage, so I left.
    The fake Gym is definitely active in the next update. What she means is the rocks near the entrance of the cave, which I'll try to make more clear in-game.
    Bill's House will also be fully implemented next update.
    Some things are sort of... halfway started, mostly as a way to remind me what the plan was for those places. Without the beginning "hook" I'll forget what I wanted to do for the quest.

2) As someone mentioned in this thread previously, there seems to be a pretty big difficulty spike after becoming a lieutenant. I was on my way to cerulean city for the slowpoke tail quest and Idris' mission and one of the random trainers on the route between saffron and cerulean had level 40 Pokemon! My highest is 28! Sure, the Clefable and Wigglytuff mostly spammed Sing, but it was quite annoying to deal with.
    Yes, partially this is because I need to run through the later parts to adjust the amount of grind, and partially because more and more sidequests will be available that give you exp. Sorry for the annoyance.

3) Speaking of the Slowpoke Tail quest, where is the NPC in Lavender Town that bought one? I spoke to every single NPC in the city and not one of them mentioned it.
    Guy is in the PokeCenter.

4) Idris' Cave Mission. So I went to meet Idris in the stated location, but that cave is full of tons of obnoxious wild pokemon! I get that this is meant to be another 'dungeon' of sorts, similar to the power plant, and maybe I am just too easily annoyed, but constantly having to drain my pokemon's MP to fight a battle every 10 steps seems like overkill to me.
    Surprise note about that area, the Wild pokemon only attack when you're not on the path. They also attack MUCH more frequently than any other area.
    I... could probably have Idris, or some kind of sign, hint at that in some way.

4a) I also discovered by accident that if you stand to either side of Idris when she's outside and about to reveal the cave entrance to you, she just stands there and can't do anything. I didn't sit there long, as I assumed that I had bugged it, but I thought I should mention it anyhow.
    I'll have the Player do a backstep to avoid Idris' path. Easy fix.
    Thanks for pointing everything out!

I have problems with Skill Tracker. It does not work in my save file.

My save file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16BhHvtxtdczflXhWOIHN82rEhR9Pl-A2/view?usp=sharing
    So, any Pokemon that evolves with a Stone will cause that problem. It should be fixed by the next update.
    Or at least, when I downloaded your save file into my version, it's all fixed up there.

i can't go to party menu it does Graphics/Characters$094[f2]M
    That's strange. The game is saying you're missing the character image with that name? It should be the Mutated Gengar.

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I have to say that i really enjoyed this game,and i love that make feel like garbage sometimes but does anyone know how to cut the trees?

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2020
    Progress: Long time no see. There's been a lot of real life stuff keeping me busy.
    I've written out the final bits of Rocket Rising's main plot, but it all still needs testing. There are a lot of moving parts in the background based on your choices.
    So, not much to report, but I'm still alive and hoping to be able to work on it again during a Fall/Winter break.

I have to say that i really enjoyed this game,and i love that make feel like garbage sometimes but does anyone know how to cut the trees?

There is no current way to cut trees! But they shouldn't be stopping your progress in any way.

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2020
    Progress:http://www.mediafire.com/file/jw3m9nit0d4z029/RocketRising1.0.exe/file

Well. That's it. The main plot is finished.
    NewGame+ should be working, although it's still largely untested.
    There is still some side content and polish-work that needs to be done but...

I made a Team Rocket game guys.

Enjoy. Let me know where bugs and glitches show up, I'll be able to hit them up in a few weeks when my classes give me that good long winter break.
    Thanks for sticking with me for the last 4-ish years.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2019
    I'm really enjoying the game, the combat system reminds me a lot of the Super Eevee edition. However, I ran into a bug when entering the tower in Lavender Town. I encountered and ran from a Gastly, then went up a floor (to the 3rd floor, I think). When I hit the staircase, the game crashed and it gave me an error message that said it couldn't run a "Defog" script.

I was in the tower to try to find Mr. Fuji for the letter sidequest. Hopefully he isn't at the top of the tower.

Edit: There were also a bunch of ledges that I couldn't jump down. Mostly around Cerulean City (to the west and north)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2020
    I'm really enjoying the game, the combat system reminds me a lot of the Super Eevee edition. However, I ran into a bug when entering the tower in Lavender Town. I encountered and ran from a Gastly, then went up a floor (to the 3rd floor, I think). When I hit the staircase, the game crashed and it gave me an error message that said it couldn't run a "Defog" script.

I was in the tower to try to find Mr. Fuji for the letter sidequest. Hopefully he isn't at the top of the tower.

Edit: There were also a bunch of ledges that I couldn't jump down. Mostly around Cerulean City (to the west and north)
    Yeah, Super Eevee is amazing. Seeing an ATB system in a Pokemon game was absolutely inspiring.

My bad with LavenderTown, I renamed the fog script to "fog-copy" at some point, and didn't think anymore about it. Changing the names of pictures even slightly messes some things up.
    Download http://www.mediafire.com/file/jw3m9nit0d4z029/RocketRising1.0.exe/file again and the pic-name will be fixed, and I also threw in more of the ledge jumps that were missing around Cerulean.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Yeah, Super Eevee is amazing. Seeing an ATB system in a Pokemon game was absolutely inspiring.

My bad with LavenderTown, I renamed the fog script to "fog-copy" at some point, and didn't think anymore about it. Changing the names of pictures even slightly messes some things up.
    Download http://www.mediafire.com/file/idpt71k8acyyff2/RocketRising1.0.exe again and the pic-name will be fixed, and I also threw in more of the ledge jumps that were missing around Cerulean.

The link you've provided just says, "Download Ready Soon"

---------------

As far as power-scaling goes, I am incredibly annoyed by the fact that Gary has level 50s and you give no real viable method to get to those levels by that point without facerolling for more hours than absolutely within reason.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2022
    Hey, im loving your game, but i seem to be completely stuck on the saloon mission. it says i have to go to viridian forest for the coin case, but i can't find a way. I just spend 1-2 hourse trying to get there and im completely stuck.

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2020
    The link you've provided just says, "Download Ready Soon"

---------------

As far as power-scaling goes, I am incredibly annoyed by the fact that Gary has level 50s and you give no real viable method to get to those levels by that point without facerolling for more hours than absolutely within reason.
    I fixed the download link, thanks for pointing it out!
    There are also a few things you have that Gary doesn't,. Cheat items, even besides the Darts, are really helpful. I particularly like Sound Clip as an opening move.
    Plus, with the addition of the "bonus" or whatever that you get from certain Rocket Recruits, I'm sure there are a couple of different strategies that will destroy higher level opponents.

Hey, im loving your game, but i seem to be completely stuck on the saloon mission. it says i have to go to viridian forest for the coin case, but i can't find a way. I just spend 1-2 hourse trying to get there and im completely stuck.

Hm,there are two routes to Viridian. One is through the Diglett Cave by Vermilion city.
    The other is the longggg way up past Cerulean, towards Pewter, through Mt. Moon.

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2022
    Thanks, still not sure how to get to Mt. Moon (which is the way I tried to go), but the Diglett Cave worked. completely forgot about that.

Back