• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Getting back into Pokemon... Team help?

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2013
    Hey guys! Well, I've just started getting interested once more in Pokemon, and I am in need of some team advice. This is meant to be competitive (not on an "earn money" competitive scale, more like a, "destroy all my friends' teams" scale, if you know what I mean) team.

Right now the only Pokemon on the team that I actually have and is not subject to change is my Garchomp; already Lv. 100, so don't bother telling me her nature blows because it's way too late to fix that!

So, originally I'd linked this great spreadsheet I made, but I found that I'm not allowed to link things yet...

Garchomp (Lonely / Sand Veil / ? Item)
    Dragon Rush (P / 100 / 75%)
    Earthquake (P / 100 / 100%)
    Stone Edge (P / 100 / 80%)
    Dragon Claw(P / 80 / 100%)

Again, I already have her trained, so the only thing you can really edit is her moveset and item.

Walrein (Quiet / Thick Fat / ? Item)
    Blizzard (S / 120 / 75%)
    Surf (S / 95 / 100%)
    Ice Beam (S / 95 / 100%)
    Aqua Tail (P / 90 / 90%) or Earthquake (P / 100 / 100%)

Ampharos (Modest/Quiet / Static / ? Item)
    Discharge (S / 80 / 100%)
    Thunder (S / 120 / 70%)
    Thunderbolt (S / 95 / 100%)
    Signal Beam (S / 75 / 100%) or Volt Switch (S / 70 / 100%)

Houndoom (Modest / Flash Fire / ? Item)
    Dark Pusle (S / 80 / 100%)
    Overheat (S / 140 / 90%)
    Flamethrower (S / 95 / 100%)
    Fire Blast (S / 120 / 85%)

Lucario (Rash / Inner Focus / ? Item)
    Close Combat (P / 120 / 100%)
    Aura Sphere (S / 90 / Infinite)
    Flash Cannon (S / 80 / 100%)
    Focus Blast (S / 120 / 70%)

Sylveon (Modest / Synchronize / ? Item)
    Moon Blast (S / 95 / 100%)
    Dazzling Gleam (S / 80 / 100%)
    Psyshock (S / 80 / 100%)
    Shadow Ball (S / 80 / 100%)

So for the most part I'm really looking for help item-wise and for certain things that are italicized. Other suggestions are always open!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • EV spreads would be helpful here.

For your current Garchomp set, use Choice Scarf to compensate for the lost Speed that Jolly would have brought.

Walrein is terrible. Don't even bother with it. Its bad defensive typing lets it down, and it's only good on Hail teams thanks to its infamous Stallrein set, which wears down the opponent with a combination of Hail, Toxic and possibly Super Fang; Ice Body in Hail in conjunction with Walrein's Leftovers will give it plenty of longevity. Unfortunately, this isn't a Hail team, so I'm afraid you'll need to take Walrein out. Cloyster is a Pokemon that can function outside of Hail and can go on the offensive with Shell Smash, despite its defensive-leaning stats:
    -Shell Smash
    -Icicle Spear
    -Rock Blast
    -Razor Shell/Ice Shard/Hydro Pump
    Nature: Jolly/Naive
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: White Herb/Lum Berry/Focus Sash
    Ability: Skill Link

Or you can use Barbaracle to have a bit more raw power, though its defensive typing is still bad:
    -Shell Smash
    -Stone Edge
    -Razor Shell/Poison Jab
    -Cross Chop
    Nature: Jolly
    Item: White Herb/Lum Berry/Focus Sash
    Ability: Tough Claws

Ampharos is terrible in the standard environment because of its low Speed, which makes it easy to revenge kill. Wash Rotom is a better alternative:
    -Volt Switch
    -Hydro Pump
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Pain Split/Hidden Power (Ice)
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 232 HP/56 SAtk/220 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

or
    -Volt Switch
    -Hydro Pump
    -Pain Split
    -Thunder Wave/Will-o-Wisp
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/28 SAtk/232 SDef

or
    -Volt Switch
    -Hydro Pump
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Trick/Thunderbolt
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

Houndoom is a good Pokemon in the UU environment, but not in OU because of its Stealth Rock weakness and susceptibility to common types (Water, Rock, Ground, Fighting). Infernape is generally a better option because it's fast and has a wider movepool to take advantage of:
    -Flare Blitz
    -Close Combat
    -U-turn
    -ThunderPunch/Mach Punch
    Item: Choice Band

or
    -Overheat/Fire Blast
    -Close Combat
    -ThunderPunch
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/U-turn/Mach Punch
    Nature: Hasty/Naive
    EVs: 180 Atk/76 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt

or
    -Fake Out
    -Stealth Rock
    -Overheat
    -Close Combat
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash

or
    -Fire Blast/Flare Blitz
    -Close Combat
    -U-turn
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/Stone Edge
    EVs: 36 Atk/220 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

Lucario's current set is walled by Jellicent. Hard. It has a wide movepool to take advantage of. A mixed set isn't a good idea because it's hard to split EVs for Lucario to take that route:
    -Swords Dance
    -Close Combat
    -ExtremeSpeed
    -Crunch/Shadow Claw/Ice Punch/Bullet Punch
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    Item: Life Orb/Lucarionite (ExtremeSpeed can be dropped if Lucarionite is used, since Mega Lucario gained a much-needed Speed boost; regardless, don't use Shadow Claw and Crunch together)

Moonblast completely and utterly outclasses Dazzling Gleam on Sylveon. Dazzling Gleam has no added effects, while Moonblast is stronger and can lower the opponent's Special Attack:
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Moonblast
    -Shadow Ball/Toxic
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef

or
    -Calm Mind
    -Moonblast
    -Shadow Ball/Psyshock
    -Substitute
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef

Just saying, this team has a pretty bad Ground weakness. A Ground immune Pokemon like Skarmory is ideal, but I dunno who to take out:
    -Stealth Rock/Spikes
    -Whirlwind
    -Roost
    -Brave Bird/Iron Head/Taunt
    Nature: Impish/Careful
    EVs: 224 HP/252 Def/32 SDef or 224 HP/32 Def/252 SDef
    Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell
    Ability: Sturdy

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2013
    Thanks for the in-depth reply.

As far as Garchomp goes, I changed my mind (seeing that I won't be getting a 3DS anytime too soon), and decided to spend my time attempting to breed a good Gible. Currently what I'm going for is a Jolly Gible, with maximum speed IV's and a possibility for maximum attack IV's via past ancestry. Looking towards getting the guy to tell me it's got "outstanding" potential and "can't be any better" in the speed department. Then off to get 252 EV's in speed and attack, and 4 in HP.

As for the team changes, I'm not gonna lie, I'm seriously petty about the aesthetic appeal of the Pokemon on my team. It definitely plays a larger role than it should when I select what I'd like to train – but let's be honest, since I'm not really entering a true competitive scene, I've little to no drive to raise, well, a clam (oyster? I dunno) and a fire-monkey (I just think they're so ugly, man. I know it makes me sound dumb and all, but I just don't think I'd have the patience to go through with training and breeding something I don't really want).

On that note, I definitely like the changes to Lucario and Sylveon. I'll be looking into that once I get my hands on a good Gible. And while I'm talking about them, do you have any recommendations on what IV I should be going for on Lucario and Sylveon? I was thinking of doing the same thing for a Riolu that I am currently doing with my Gible (which is going to blow, because Riolu don't breed…).

As for Walrein replacement, the only thing I can see myself switching with is a Lapras or a Gyarados (which would aid in the whole ground weakness thing). All the other water Pokemon just have no appeal to me. And for Houndoom, the only thing I'd consider in its place would be a Delphox, which also has considerable speed, and could serve as a special sweeper. Again, that monkey… -shudder-. I just can't do it, regardless of that great move pool.

For Rotom, my general issue is again, it's pretty gross looking. That, and all the other electric types I see look pretty terrible as well. What about a Metagross with thunder punch?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Gyarados can helps with Ground weakness, as you mentioned if you don't want to use Wash Rotom. Lapras, despite its wide move pool, isn't cut for standard. Its offensive stats are only average and its defensive typing is the same as Walrein's, which is terrible:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Bounce
    -Taunt/Substitute
    EVs: 88 HP/248 Atk/4 Def/168 Spe

or
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Bounce
    -Stone Edge/Earthquake
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    Item: Lum Berry/Life Orb

I'm a bit iffy on having Delphox in an OU team. Think about why you'd use it over things like Heatran or Volcarona. Still, if you want to use it, be my guest:
    -Calm Mind
    -Fire Blast
    -Psyshock
    -Grass Knot/Shadow Ball/Substitute
    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers
    Ability: Blaze

or
    -Fire Blast
    -Psyshock
    -Shadow Ball/Grass Knot
    -Switcheroo
    Item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
    Ability: Blaze

Remember that you get a free Lucario from Korrina at some point in X/Y, while baby Pokemon found in the wild tend to have 31 IVs in at least 2-3 stats, so I'd say 31 IV in Speed and 20-31 in the offensive stat you intend to use. For Sylveon, have around 20-31 in the defensive stats and Special Attack (though 31 would be preferred, you can just go for 20-30 if you can't be bothered going for perfect IVs all round).

Back