• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: In-Battle Message Research and Discovery

Smeargle

Illusory
Years
  • 0xD7360 battle messages
    3F#### Region Discovery

Smeargle here, some credit goes to bugmania for finding D7360 calling it the "wildbattlemessage" pointer. However, I would appreciate credit for finding what we see below :).

So without boring anyone, I'll explain a little of whats below.
    Mainly when I first saw D7360 or what we can call "Battlemessages" (because they are not limited to wild battles perhaps originally believed) I was decided to look into the pointers.
    Unfortunaintly my first discovery wasn't documented, but I was able to completely skip the "A wild (pokemon) appeared message on battle start. After that I knew I needed to break as much of this information apart as I could. Below are some notes straight out of notepad I wrote.

I will BOLD points of interest for those with low attention spans like me.

--Bytes-- --Pointer--

0xD7360 -- 63 (64 73 0D 08) *Points to D7364*

0xD7364 -- 67 (7C 73 0D 08) *controls Starting messages for both trainer and wild Pokemon Battle, more info below* Freezes Game just after battle starts when removed

0xD7368 -- 6B (28 74 0D 08) *controls (trainer) sent out (pokemon) Message* Freezes before that
    message appears when pointer is removed (shouts the Pokemon name and gender if pointer remains but data is removed)

0xD736C -- 6F (C8 74 0D 08) *No Info* Nothing Happens (More research needs to be done on its
    pointer) <-- haven't tried opponent items could be linked to item usage in battle by other trainer

0xD7370 -- 73 (58 75 0D 08) *No Info* Nothing Happens (More research needs to be done on its pointer) <-- haven't tried opponent items could be linked to item usage in battle by other trainer

0xD7374 -- 77 (F0 75 0D 08) *Likely controls (Pokemon) used (attack) message* Freezes before players pokemons attack message appears when removed

0xD7378 -- 7B (54 76 0D 08) *No Info* Nothing Happens (More research needs to be done on its pointer) <-- haven't tested critical hits, super effective, Not very effective, or evaded.

Now that some of the main bytes and pointers are done, here are some notes I took when messing with some specific areas. I will underline points of interest.

The Pointer on D7364 for 0x0D737C from my experiments controls both wild battles and trainer battles. Remove it entirely and both types of battles won't start but follow the pointer and mess with the bytes and you can freeze wild Pokemon battles only.

Remove the bytes D737C -- D737F and something interesting happens. When You start a battle with a trainer it writes the name and gender of the opponents first Pokemon before they send it out.
    Spoiler:

It completely writes over the *trainer class* *name* would like to battle.
    Same results achieved when removing bytes D7388 - 8B only wild battles will continue to work.

Research done on 0x3F#### "message data"

But where are the actual messages stored? Well after finding this I was determined to find out which is when I noticed that I was seeing many pointers going to the 3F#### region.
    I'm 90% sure this is where all messages are stored, some of my findings are below.

Remove Bytes 3FD57A to 3FD5CF and It will skip the announcements for attacks making battles much faster. All you will see are the animations for attacks, no clicking the "z" button on your keyboard. Its pretty convenient really.

Want to Just shout "Go" when you send your Pokemon out?
    Remove Bytes 3FD460 to 3FD4FF

^The rivals pokemon is controlled in lower bytes
    Gary got sorta confused about his Pokemon when I removed the bytes 3FCB70 to 3FCC0F
    Spoiler:

That's all I've gotten to, like stated above I did have wild pokemon messages removed at one point. However I never documented what I changed.

I know we can do some amazing things if we completely figure out the in-battle messages.
    I look forward to what everyone brings forward :) I'm going to continue to contribute to this page, pasting all information on found on this first post.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • I think by this maybe we can add pointers in between and make the trainer Comeup saying something and going back, like gym battles HG/SS. I am not very strong in hex, but after seeing your reasearch , i thought about it!

Back