• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] How big should an overworld map be to match the regional map?

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2023
    This is probably subject to interpretation, but I've been having trouble making an accurate gauge for 1 16x16 Regional Map square. I want that one 16x16 Square to match an Overworld Square but I don't know how big the Overworld Square should be. So I was wondering how big other people have made them, if they've even followed a specific pattern? I was going for 16x16 Overworld for 16x16 Regional but that ended up looking a little small. I think.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
    Years
  • From experience, 32x32 or 40x40 for 1 mini-map square is about as accurate as you can get.

But like TBM_Christopher said, there's really no reason to make it that accurate to scale, unless you're having trouble piecing your maps together.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2023
    It's more of a personal preference than anything. Don't want to go ten squares and be in a different square, then fifty to get into the third square. So I wanted to know what other people did =)

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • Your players really aren't going to notice, to be honest, unless they're already not having fun with your game to the point that they're counting steps on minimap squares.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2023
    Yeah, but again, personal preference. Besides my friends would catch that sort of thing, and they're the target audience. Bunch of jerks xD

Back