• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Repopulating Kanto: Route 1

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I started this series earlier in the year with Pallet Town, which you can read here.

Here, once again, is the mission statement:

People have said that a return to Kanto would be boring because we've done it hundreds of times before. But what if Kanto was refreshed, renewed, and recalculated?

Starting today, we are going to take a look at every route, town, cave and city in Kanto and determine what changes, if any, need to be done. By the end, we will hopefully have a refreshed Kanto to be proud of, and a refreshed Kanto to enjoy.

It's finally time to kick this back up and move on to Route 1.

Here are the questions you must answer:
    What Pokemon can be found on this route?
    Will there be any trainers on this route?
    Will you still be given a free potion on this route?
    Any other items?

Last time I said you had a week, but I instead gave you months. I won't put a time limit on this, but we will move on to Viridian City sooner than we moved on from Pallet Town.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I quite enjoy catching a Pidgey, so I do think that should stay. I do think maybe adding Nidoran would make it a bit more exciting. As for items, I would like to see Pokéballs given instead of potions and have the Potions put in your PC at the start. The trainers were fine but maybe making them a bit more challenging, but of course not to the point where they'd be overpowered in anyway. I think a Fisherman would be a nice twist.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • I like this concept.

Route 1 is such a nostalgic route for most players. It's the basic beginning route and I think there are only a few things we could change to improve it.

Rattata and Pidgey are staples but bland. I agree with tokyo that having a Nidoran here would shake things up a little. I could even got on board with a wild Spearow or an early-bug type, like Caterpie or Weedle. As far s I remember, we had a few trainers (none remarkable whatsoever) and it's perfectly fine with that. It's enough to teach you about game mechanics while keeping the difficulty level at a minimum.

For the item, yeah I'd prefer a Pokeball or a random berry to be given out. The free potion should be on the PC already.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    For the record, you can include Pokemon from all the generations. That's why it's called "repopulating" Kanto.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • For the record, you can include Pokemon from all the generations. That's why it's called "repopulating" Kanto.

yep, but including a different-generation Pokemon to this route seems off to me. Like Pallet town, it seemed like a staple of the Kanto region. There are plenty of routes we could introduce other-gens.

Back