• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rival Battle

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Ok so i copied the rival battle from the essentials version into my new game im creating. The only things i changed were the events it controls and the move route where the rival leaves to. Once the rival is done walking he freezes and doesn't disappear off the map and it freezes my player in place as well. Any idea why this is happening?

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
I'm not sure if this is correct since the last time I've done stuff with events was months ago, but I think it may be colliding with another event (this doesn't have to be a visible one), disallowing him to walk, making him unable to finish his move route and thus keeping you stuck.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I'm not sure if this is correct since the last time I've done stuff with events was months ago, but I think it may be colliding with another event (this doesn't have to be a visible one), disallowing him to walk, making him unable to finish his move route and thus keeping you stuck.

This is probably what's happening. For the most part, RPG Maker doesn't allow two events to overlap unless one has their "Through" flag enabled. The solution is either to, in your battle event, move the conflicting event out of the way temporarily, or set the Rival's event to "Through" temporarily (or just make them walk somewhere else, i guess).

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Ok I set through on in the characters move route but the same thing happens. There is an invisible event there on the move route. So I decided to move this event back a bit so that the two do not cross and the same thing happens. Even with through on. I'm confused. I've spent hours trying different things and it still results in the same thing

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 20, 2017
This generally happens when you move an event past the camera window. It looks like RPG Maker XP doesn't really support off-screen movement?

Or at least I've had the same issue since I started my own game 500+ hours ago and I've always simply moved a character 1 tile out of the screen (any further and the game will freeze) and then just make them invisible (set their graphic to 'none' in their move route).

With default Pokémon Essentials settings and resolution, an event can move 9 tiles horizontally away from the player, and 7 tiles vertically. After that they are just out of the screen and should simply be turned invisible.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Ah that does the trick!! Thank you!!!

ok no it doesnt do the trick. I just realized that when i come back onto the map the rival is locked in his position and following me all around the map on the edge of my view the map.

Attachments

• Event.jpg
    Event.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:

Sir_Tman

Overworked game Dev
Years
If you have your rival walk onto the screen first, just used that change Graphic in the movement route to change it into your rival.
Then when he walks off use the Change Graphic and set it to None

If you do this, have the rival event set no graphic.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
ok i did all that but it refuses to change the graphic... im so lost as to why

I created a blank event. Have the rival walk onto the screen. The battle ends and the rival walks away. I took your guys advice and did the change graphic option to make him disappear. But for some reason he doesn't disappear and stays locked in the corner of my view and is dragged all over the map I'm on until I leave the map. When I come back to the map he is still there in the view.

EDIT: Ok so i figured out that after making the players graphic change to none and getting rid of the set even location function to move the player off screen it works now. Argh... So many hours wasted just trying tot fix this one dumb issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back