• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Is EB:DX actually cancelled?

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2020
    I can't find a proper answer to this anywhere - on Twitter, Luka appeared to suggest it'd been shelved, but it still appears on his website. Does anyone know what's actually going on, or is it all a mystery?

(Background info - Literally just got interested in the scene, and was probably going to wait for EB:DX with v18 of essentials, but if it has been shelved then I might go back to v17. Who knows?)

Years
  • It's a joke.

And why would you switch to v17 just for EBS. Does your game have nothing unique to offer other than a Gen 5 Battle skin or is your game completely dysfunctional if you don't have EBS? If the answer to either of those questions is yes, then go ahead and downgrade. Otherwise, it's downright absurd to downgrade to v17 from v18.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2020
    Ah, thank you. I genuinely wasn't sure.

I don't even have a game at the moment, just tinkering. EBS just looked really cool, and I wanted to integrate it into any projects I might make. As much as I'd love to make a system like that myself, I think it's beyond me given I found out about essentials yesterday. I'll stick with v18.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2023
    In my opinion EBS is very worth the downgrade from v18. The Animated Battle Sprites are the best representation of Pokemon in the entire series imo. But in the end it all comes down to personal preference. You should think about what you find important in a game and compare the two options to decide which one you want to choose for your game.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    In my opinion EBS is very worth the downgrade from v18. The Animated Battle Sprites are the best representation of Pokemon in the entire series imo. But in the end it all comes down to personal preference. You should think about what you find important in a game and compare the two options to decide which one you want to choose for your game.

I think the only subjective element here is when you want to release your game. If you want to release it within like, the next 2 months (or before EBDX drops), and you desperately need EBS in your game, then sure, this is a reasonable debate to have. But I assume OP isn't planning on releasing their game anytime soon. As Golisopod said above, EBDX is NOT cancelled, so making the downgrade to v17 is just a terrible move to make when EBDX is likely going to be released very early in OP's game development. It would be better to just be patient and use the objectively superior battle system (EBDX) at a slightly later date than work on an outdated version of Essentials and EBS.

Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2023

That's the stupidest thing I've heard throughout 2020. Giving up on the massive performance and quality improvements of v18 for EBS, something which is nothing more than graphical upgrade, while knowing that EBDX is slated to release soon, is the worst possible decision to make in this case. Not to mention that there are so many things, mainly Gen 7 and 8 stuff, which you need to make the extra effort to add to v17 which already come preinstalled in v18. So unless it's so important for you that you're ready to compromise so much just for your Pokemon to animate a little bit then yeah, go ahead with your wise decisions. Else, it's much smarter to wait and not do ridiculous things like downgrading.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2023
    That's the stupidest thing I've heard throughout 2020. Giving up on the massive performance and quality improvements of v18 for EBS, something which is nothing more than graphical upgrade, while knowing that EBDX is slated to release soon, is the worst possible decision to make in this case. Not to mention that there are so many things, mainly Gen 7 and 8 stuff, which you need to make the extra effort to add to v17 which already come preinstalled in v18. So unless it's so important for you that you're ready to compromise so much just for your Pokemon to animate a little bit then yeah, go ahead with your wise decisions. Else, it's much smarter to wait and not do ridiculous things like downgrading.
    Yeah well OP posted that he doesnt even have a game right now and is just tinkering around with Essentials. So for the time being he could start with EBS and upgrade later. I meant that he should think about whats more important at the moment. If he wants to make a quick demo game then you would chose v18 but for everything else you could just wait. What exactly is stupid about that?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Yeah well OP posted that he doesnt even have a game right now and is just tinkering around with Essentials. So for the time being he could start with EBS and upgrade later. I meant that he should think about whats more important at the moment. If he wants to make a quick demo game then you would chose v18 but for everything else you could just wait. What exactly is stupid about that?

Your logic is flawed here - if you're working on a long-term project (at least longer than a few months), why would you add more work for yourself by not being patient and waiting for EBDX to release BEFORE you start coding stuff? You're just setting yourself up to redo all of your battle scripts and possibly others. Work on maps, sprites, writing, and maybe even events during this time instead, but downgrading to v17 is literally a regressive step.

I agree with UberDunsparce here - please don't perpetuate the idea that working on an outdated and objectively inferior Essentials and battle system (v17 + EBS) is somehow better than having a little bit of patience and getting to use v18 + EBDX instead. I can only see this decision as debatable for very short games that will release within the next one or two months, but beyond that it just seems ridiculous that you would want to waste development time scripting things that will very likely have to be completely rewritten when you upgrade.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2023
    I can definitely see your point, you're right. I haven't actually upgraded to v18 yet so I didn't know that the difference was so drastic that upgrading was necessary. So I think in conclusion we could say that it is better to wait for EBDX and work on something else in the meantime.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Luka need more time to fix the bug and make it EBDX working perfect in PE v18.
    And He Said "Stop asking when EBDX finish. It released soon if finished."
    Be patient and you can use another plugin for PE v18.
    Or you can adapt EBS to PE v18 for yourself.
    Give him breathing to finish EBDX.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Luka need more time to fix the bug and make it EBDX working perfect in PE v18.
    And He Said "Stop asking when EBDX finish. It released soon if finished."
    Be patient and you can use another plugin for PE v18.
    Or you can adapt EBS to PE v18 for yourself.
    Give him breathing to finish EBDX.

This thread is over 2 months old, and all of the participants have already agreed that waiting is the best option. Though, I guess since it's been a while, it's worth reiterating anyways that Luka IS still working on EBDX, and that it WILL be out some time in the near future.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    This thread is over 2 months old, and all of the participants have already agreed that waiting is the best option. Though, I guess since it's been a while, it's worth reiterating anyways that Luka IS still working on EBDX, and that it WILL be out some time in the near future.

Yup...That's true

Back