• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Tool] Understanding the tools, PGE and G3HS

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2018
    I just read a thread where @Gamer2020 said G3HS breaks compatibility with PGE.

The way I understand these programs, they are just awesomely neat UI created to specific bytes in the ROM for various purpose.

How come G3HS breaks compatibility with PGE?
    If it does, does it also breaks compatibility with any other tools?

Silly guess, but
    Spoiler:

On this note, if anyone can help with my tool recommendation question, I think that should helps not only me but future ROM hackers as well.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=409419

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
    Years
  • I just read a thread where @Gamer2020 said G3HS breaks compatibility with PGE.

The way I understand these programs, they are just awesomely neat UI created to specific bytes in the ROM for various purpose.

How come G3HS breaks compatibility with PGE?
    If it does, does it also breaks compatibility with any other tools?

Silly guess, but
    Spoiler:

On this note, if anyone can help with my tool recommendation question, I think that should helps not only me but future ROM hackers as well.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=409419

Triggered my alert again... May have to turn them off.

Please make sure to ask PGE related questions in the correct place.

I've already answered this, please see the below screenshot.

ENvCfwf.png

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2018
    Triggered my alert again... May have to turn them off.

Please make sure to ask PGE related questions in the correct place.

I've already answered this, please see the below screenshot.

ENvCfwf.png

It is actually due to that post that I made this thread.
    I would like to learn about the technologically deeper reasons why tools "break compatibility," and thus know what to look out for when I pick up and use any tools.

It is not entirely only about PGE, so if you don't mind, could you give some more in-depth explanation, perhaps with one or two examples?

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    G3HS only breaks compatibility with PGE, but G3T still works with it. If you really don't want to use PGE to edit Pokémon, but still want to use PGE, then use G3T

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    IIRC the biggest issue with G3HS is that it doesn't support Jambo's expanded move table hack, while PGE does. That, and it's one of those projects that was abandoned before it was finished, so it's outdated and full of unfixed bugs (I know for a fact its Pokedex expansion and sprite insertion features don't work properly). It is open source, so that could be changed, but why bother fixing it when you could just use PGE which does everything G3HS does and more?

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    PGE has everything G3HS has and more. Basically, if you want to use G3HS, that's your decision, but I know with the ROM I've been editing I needed tools with certain features like being able to support a new type, making moves that type, expanded Pokemon, and expanded moves, and I've found that the combo of PGE and G3T works best for that particular case.

That's fair, but I've had issues with PGE, and G3HS never caused issues (I had issues with PGE BEFORE using G3HS. Before G3HS I was using G3T)

IIRC the biggest issue with G3HS is that it doesn't support Jambo's expanded move table hack, while PGE does. That, and it's one of those projects that was abandoned before it was finished, so it's outdated and full of unfixed bugs (I know for a fact its Pokedex expansion and sprite insertion features don't work properly). It is open source, so that could be changed, but why bother fixing it when you could just use PGE which does everything G3HS does and more?

That's also fair, and honestly I've been considering rebuilding my hack completely, (for the third time lol) using PGE to make all my changes and ignoring G3T/other editors completely unless I need the Anti-Exploud function from G3T for something PGE hasn't covered yet, but I have so many custom maps with warps and scripts and such I'd have to extract...and then there's my move edits I can't remember...

Last edited:
    Back