• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 5] Can you beat Black 2 with just Purrloin without fainting?

Years
  • PURRLOIN NO-FAINT SOLO RUN

I've been thinking about doing this run for months, so here it is. Just like my Rattata No-Faint Solo Run last year, I want to do the same with Purrloin in Black 2. So let's look at the rules...

General Rules:
    • I can only use Purrloin that I catch on Route 19 right after getting Poké Balls
    • If this Purrloin dies, I have to restart the whole game with a clean save and start over
    • I can use HM slaves, but they can't battle
    • The goal is to beat Iris and get to the credits
    • Assist is banned
    • I can only use same number of items as my opponent

And that's it. See you soon with update on my first attempt.

Years
    ATTEMPT 1

Well... this was quick. I started the game with Snivy and quickly went to Route 19 and found this little boy. Meet Soloin:
    Can you beat Black 2 with just Purrloin without fainting?

Not the best nature, but Limber is better out of the two abilities. Tutorial part was pretty easy and I quickly leveled up Soloin to level 13. I grinded a little bit more and challenged Cheren, who I was able to beat without even healing.

Continuing on my journey, I found a worthy opponent... Dunsparce. It caught me off guard while Soloin had only 14 HP and got critical hit on its Rollouts. I was able to heal after each hit to full HP, but Dunsparce's last Rollout took Soloin down...

Years
    ATTEMPT 2

This is sad...

But there's a new hope! Meet Princess:

Cheren was easy, I used same strategy as before, but there is a worthy opponent I need to beat.

Easy!

I grinded a little bit for Roxie and Princess wanted to evolve.

Princess learned Hone Claws, which became my new strategy. With +6 in Attack I was able to one-shot all of Roxie's Pokémon.

One grinding session later and I was sure I'll wipe on Burgh after almost wiping on the very first clown in a gym.

But then... I was able to set up Hone Claws on Swadloon and beat both Swadloon and Dwebble with one hit while maintaining good amount of HP. His Leavanny put Princess in red with one Razor Leaf, while Princess took down good 2/3 of Leavanny's health with Pursuit. Leavanny healed with Sitrus Berry and that was the thing that decided this match. Princess was slowed down by String Shots, but was able to dodge another Razor Leaf and I healed her. Next shot would bring me victory over the hardest Gym in this run. But.... Leavanny hit Princess with crit. And it was over...

Years
    ATTEMPT 3 AND 4

Here we go again...

New Purrloin, Bug Killer:

This time Burgh has no chance. I'll beat him for sure this ti...

Ehm...

It's time for Soloin II to shine.

Beating all the important battles up to the Burgh was easy this time. I'm getting better at this.

I was confident I can beat Burgh. But there was one critical hit I didn't expect.

Last edited:
    Years
    ATTEMPT 5

This will be that one Run. I feel it...

New Purrloin, Soloin III. He'll avenge his brothers and sisters:

Once again, all important battles leading to Burgh were easy.

Soloin III had HAS Jolly nature, meaning after my EV training, he can move first in most battles.

I started battle vs Leavanny in pretty good position. -6 in Speed, +6 in Attack, 6 HP...

Luckily Leavanny didn't use Struggle Bug, so I healed and hot to this position in like two more turns.

I think Leavanny didn't want to battle me anymore and used String Shot. I finally beat the biggest obstacle of this run.

This was one of those situations I was glad for Limber. It stopped Colress's Magnemite from using Thunder Wave and I was able to set up Hone Claws for free.

And I kid you not, the moment I've seen "Riolu used Counter" I almost died inside. All this effort for nothing... But Soloin III took it as a champ. The run continues!

Years
    ATTEMPT 5

Journey up to Elesa, and including her was really easy since Soloin III learned Night Slash and I think it was this Gym I taught him Return.

I got really screwed in Driftveil Gym. 1st Drilbur made one thing cleared. I'm not getting through this Gym with level 39 Purrloin. And after looking through Clay's team, I was sure I can't get pass this Gym with Purrloin at all. Why? His Krokorok destroys my strategy of setting up Hone claws with his Torment and Excadrill were resisting all my moves. Perfect. So I did simple math and leveled up to level 50 and learned Sucker Punch in a process. And I still almost died.

At this point I decided I don't want to repeat this whole run over again and so I study each Route and Gym before challenging them. I decided to dodge all the trainers I can and then grind on Audino to be save. Skyla was surprisingly easy. The only obstacle was Skarmory, but few Night Slashes took care of it.

Can't I get Hop, please?

You see this trainer? She has 3 Fighting-types. Let's just skip her.

And then this happened...

Speaking of trainers with nasty teams, there is a guy on Village Bridge with Durant and Lucario. He can't be skipped. But Soloin III is the best Purrloin in the world and beat this old man.

So at this point there is one thing clear. Fighting-types and Steel-types are the biggest threats in this run. Thankfully last Gym aren't these types.

Not much happened after that. I got really good with the strategy and had bunch of healing items in my bag just in case. Battle with Colress was fun.

Also when planning this tun, I totally forgot about these Kyurem and Ghetsis battles. But my kitty can take them both on easily.

This was the point when I was 100% sure I don't want to repeat this run from the start. So after getting through Victory Road that was btw full of Steel and Fighting-types, I got to the Elite Four and decided to grind to level 100. And to finally got held item. After few minutes of deciding which one, I picked Scope Lens.

Let's talk about E4. Shauntal and Caitlin were really and I didn't even need to set up Hone Claws. I think I got crit against every Shauntal Pokémon, which was nice. I had to set up against Grimsley and his Liepard gave me good opportunity to do so. With +6 Hone Claws I was able to one-shot his Bisharp with Return. Marshal on the other hand... I wanted to set up on Throh, but I was able to only get +3 before he started attacking with Circle Throw, so I had to take him down. Sucker Punch helped me beat both Mienshao and Conkeldurr. But his Sawk totally destroyed my Sucker Punching strategy with Sturdy. But Sawk went for Payback for some reason so Soloin III survived and was able to take Sawk down.

Battle with Iris started great. But then I was able to set up few Hone Claws and her whole team went down... Except for Haxorus. Same thing like before with Sawk happened. He had Focus Sash, so I couldn't Sucker Punch it easily. I have no idea how I survived, but at the end, Haxorus went down.

Conclusion... This was a lot harder that I thought. This run was so much harder than my Rattata No Faint Solo. There were so many Pokémon that want to kill my kitty. Last half of the game is full of Fighting and Steel-types. I taught Soloin III Return just to counter Scraggy line, Durant and rest of Steel-types and even then I had to use bunch of healing just to beat one Pokémon. But I had fun doing this. I think I'll do Sunkern in Johto next.

Back