• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: Backtracking

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
What are your thoughts on fan games that have you backtrack a lot? Do you hate backtracking, or do you actually enjoy it if it's done right? How can it be done right?

I'm curious as at this point with my hack's region it can either involve a bit of backtracking (though Fly is available and routes are worth revisiting because of access to new HMs), or I can modify the story and region so that everything's more linear.

Do you like the fact that the recent Pokémon games are much more linear (e.g. X/Y), and even if there is backtracking, you have the option to warp to the required place directly (e.g. OR/AS)? Should fan games do this too?

Years
I think a purely linear region can be boring, and also severely limits creativity when it comes to mapping. At the same time, backtracking can be boring especially if there's no form of fast travel. The best way to alleviate this, in my opinion, is to have routes with two paths (think the high and low paths in 2D Sonic games), one which you go "up" the first time and a second which you go "down" when backtracking. That gives a sense of progression for the player and also lets you maintain a consistent level curve even when you're going back to lower levelled areas because of new Trainers you can include.

Ultimately, like most things, it comes down to execution.

Back