• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rival Discussion & Speculation

Years
  • Both Wally and May/Brendan had great character progression in ORAS particularly. It really felt like they were rivals right until the end yknow? They showed up several times, they helped you out and gave you items when needed. Compare that to X/Y and it's kinda like a whole different story. In those games the abundance of rivals just ruined it for me, having too many at once didn't really give any of them a chance to shine or show true character progression. Shauna stood out a little, but having an extra 3 showing up randomly just threw it off. I think that's why I prefer only having one or two rivals similarly to ORAS or BW.

I did find Shauna interesting as far as the XY group was concerned, but you didn't battle her much (seriously it's so bad that you battle Calem/Serena more and I guess that's because he/she is your main rival) and that hampered her for me as a character.

It also taught me that too many rivals is not the best thing for Pokemon. I'm hoping for something like Hoenn or BW Unova where we had two rivals which I think was a perfect balance.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    The way he said "that gave me chicken skin" just wierds me out. I think I may end up hating him :p

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I know lots of people are tired of getting multiple rivals each time, but I'm really hoping that Hau getting the starter weak to yours means someone else gets the one you're weak to. Because if not, what's the purpose of that? All it would be doing is making the game easier than it already is...

Also what is up with that translation? Is "chicken skin" actually a saying? Why not just go with goosebumps?

Besides that, though, Hau is totally cute. He's truthfully the character helping me stay positive about SM. I genuinely hope he isn't as annoying as the XY Brigade or Brendan........... (knocks on wood)

Years
  • I know lots of people are tired of getting multiple rivals each time, but I'm really hoping that Hau getting the starter weak to yours means someone else gets the one you're weak to. Because if not, what's the purpose of that? All it would be doing is making the game easier than it already is...

I could imagine that if we don't get a second rival who picks the starter we're weak to, it must be a sign Game Freak is making SM even easier than 6th Gen and I know some people won't like that. Also, apparently Hau's name comes from the Hawaiian word for the sea hibiscus flower, which makes sense when you consider the flower pattern on his shorts.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I could imagine that if we don't get a second rival who picks the starter we're weak to, it must be a sign Game Freak is making SM even easier than 6th Gen and I know some people won't like that. Also, apparently Hau's name comes from the Hawaiian word for the sea hibiscus flower, which makes sense when you consider the flower pattern on his shorts.

You got to remember that we see both starters in the Poke Dex already. I still think people are taking "I don't like battle" too far when it comes to the girl. She is out age and usually when kids travels, they get a pokemon. The opposite gender worked for the Professors and they still both got starters. We didn't battle them too much, but we did some.

N didn't like battles at all, even more so than Lillie. Yet he still battled.

One of the translations say "I... I am not good with battles when pokemon get hurt. But I will cheer for you."

This could mean that she will still battle the hero because she trusts them. And if she is working for the evil team, which I am honestly doubting, at least not directly, she will probably have to battle eventually. Not giving her a starter is just a bad move.

And giving Hau the weak starter, I don't think effects difficulty at all. Before we battle a rival for a second time, we will usually be able to catch a pokemon that is stronger than the other starters.

People are also looking at early early game play. We will probably circle the island before we even go to the next island, and by then, anything could happen. We could encounter another rival. We could have another rival like N who will battle us.

Back