• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Assuimg Pokemon movies franchise was rebooted, does it mean...?

Years
  • Since M21 will be a continuation of the alternate timeline from ''I choose you'' we can probably assume from now on the Pokemon movies franchise will have been rebooted. If such reboot comes to happen in gen 8, will it mean all the prior movies to I choose you are out of canon given on how the Pokemon movies franchise will be rebooted? or will they still remain canon no matter what as this is just another timeline?

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    If I Choose You is the start of the reboot then the pokemon movies are no longer good in my opinion. I prefer all the pokemon movies from Mewtwo to Volcanion.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • It's another continuity, kinda like the Electric tale of Pikachu manga. I like that their going on this route now rather than what they where doing before. Because other than the first few movies, I felt that some of the Pokemon Feature films are nonsense filler, as in the end, none of the characters actions have any impact on the TV shows story.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • It is a different universe or time. I is fairly well established that there are hundreds of universes and time lines in pokemon now.

Also the movies have never really been canon with the anime, the only being Pokemon 2000. Other than pokemon 2000, they haven't really said anything about events in a movie in the anime.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Maybe gen 8 will be a reboot on the games and the anime too, the movies are starting early.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    It is a different universe or time. I is fairly well established that there are hundreds of universes and time lines in pokemon now.

Also the movies have never really been canon with the anime, the only being Pokemon 2000. Other than pokemon 2000, they haven't really said anything about events in a movie in the anime.

Actually, a lot of the movies were canon, including Movie 1 (don't forget, Mewtwo Returns was a sequel to Movie 1 essentially), and I know Movie 7 pretty much revealed Drew's hometown, and Movie 10 had Dawn getting the Lunar Wing which later appeared in an episode of the anime (and since Movies 11 and 12 were direct continuations of Movie 10, that means they're canon by proxy as well). Not to mention Movie 8 started the whole thing about Ash having Aura abilities that was given more focus in DP, and DP also had a reference to that Manaphy May befriended. Heck, with BW and XY, they even had special episodes or even a few episodes that if anything directly foreshadow the events of the upcoming movies. Probably the only movies besides the current reboots whose canonicity IS debatable was the Zekrom/Reshiram two-for-one movie, largely due to it being a... well, a two-for-one movie.

Maybe gen 8 will be a reboot on the games and the anime too, the movies are starting early.

Well, if there's going to be an anime reboot starting with Gen 8, they'd better have Ash win the league this time.

Last edited:
    Back