• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is the purpose of filling the Pokedex?

withheld

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
I always thought it obvious that the reason you specifically were sent away on such task was that you would spend enough time looking for every single Pokémon that in the meanwhile the Prof would have unrestricted access to your mom.

I thought this forum is K rated. If we're allowed to post such stuff, i might as well
open a thread about Prof Ivy being a transgender.

Years
It is less about the actual end-goal, more about the journey to get there.

In other words, in sending the player on a task to "complete the Pokedex", the Professor is essentially giving the player the opportunity to meet and catch all sorts of Pokemon and meet all sorts of people on their journey to "catch them all".

While an argument can be mentioned that catching Pokemon doesn't make you understand them better, a counter-argument to that point is that it actually does; catching and battling with them helps you understand the Pokemon's battle capabilities and individual personality. At least, this is how it is supposed to be in the abstract. It really makes sense once you've put yourself in the shoes of a new Pokemon Trainer who's stepped foot in a completely new, unfamiliar region.

Back