• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Going back to competitive.

rob_thijs

Trick Room Master
Years
Hey guys, it's been a while since I last posted here. Decided to go back on competitive and see how things go. I think I made a well rounded team but as for the final slot is kinda hard to put something in that covers some threaths. I opted Infernape over Blaziken cause it has acces to Encore and Fake-Out and can function as a mixed attacker. Well here is the team and under every mon there will be a small explanation why I chose said moves and EV spreads even though some are standard.

4p0pCbW.gif
->
yIWIygh.gif

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability - Clear Body
Nature - Jolly
EV's - 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Pretty standard set, Jolly nature with max attack and speed investments to hit as fast and hard as possible. Meteor Mash for sheer power instead of the more relaibable Iron Head, Zen Headbutt as second stab. Ice Punch for coverage and to hit dragons and that Lando hard.

PDCZc1t.gif

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability - Psychic Surge
Nature - Timid
EV's - 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Protect

Again a more standard set. Timid nature to reveal if Landorus-T has a Choice Scarf, although Assault Vest would be more common now a days, free information is always appreciated. Pyschic and Moonblast for stab, when the latter hits Dark types and is more powerfull for neutral damage if there is no Psychic Terrain. I opted for Taunt over a coverage move because I hate Trick Room and status moves that can cripple Metagross. Overall a very strong teammate for Metagross who benefits greatly from Psychic Terrain.

QtnQaUp.gif

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability - Levitate
Nature - Modest
EV's - 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power

Again a common set for Hydreigon. I opted for a Choice Scarf with 236 Spe and a Timid nature to outspeed Timid 252 Tapu Lele, but I saw no use for it cause I can't even hurt it. So I went for a Modest nature with 252 Spe and SpA to be as fast and hit as hard as possible. Draco Meteor and Dark Pulse are stab, Fire Blast to do as much damage to Steel types as possible and Earth Power to threaten Heatran and Tapu Koko.

f0nAfv2.gif

Zapdos @ Psychic Seed
Ability - Pressure
Nature - Modest
EV's - 252 HP / 148 SpA / 80 SpD / 28 Spe
- Thunder Bolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Tailwind
- Protect or Roost

I wanted something bulky that could also give me speed control. I thought about some bulky water pokemon like Milotic or Suicune but I went for Zapdos. The reason for Zapdos is it can also help me out against rain teams. Thunder Bolt for relaiable damage and HP Ice to hit dragons and flying types. Tailwind for the speed control the last slot is a hard one though. I would like to be able to use protect to predict moves but on the other hand I would like Zapdos to survive as long as possible.

Given EV's make sure Zapdos is bulky enough on the SpD side to survive a modest 252 SpA Shattered Psyche from Tapu Lele when on misty terrain. Also the EV's in SpA make it so it will 0KO an univested non Assault Vested Landorus-T. The rest is dumped in to speed to make it a little faster.

hao9iT2.gif

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability - Intimidate
Nature - Jolly
EV's - 148 HP / 124 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower or U-Turn
- Knock Off

Here it is, the monster everyone is using but it has such good synergy with Zapdos and Metagross. It can take out Fire and Steel mons that threathen Metagross and in combination with Zapdos it can use EQ freely. Also Intimidate support to force switches on physical attackers. I want with some standard moves. EQ as stab and Rock Slide to have acces to another spread move that can hit flying types. Im not sure if I really need Superpower so I'm tempting to take U-Turn instead. Knock Off to get rid of those annoying berries etc.

Given EV spread is to make sure Landorus can outspeed Modest Charizard Y and take an Overheat from Timid Charizard Y and in return 0KO it with Rock Slide. Also it 0KO Tapu Koko with EQ and it makes Mega Kanga's return a 3HKO.

Unq6s4J.gif

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability - Blaze
Nature - Naive
EV's - 60 Atk / 196 SpA / 252 Spe
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Feint or Fake Out
- Encore

Reason I chose for Infernape is because I wanted a strong fire/fight type pokemon that could also support. I know Blaziken is far more powerfull than Infernape but Blaziken doesn't get to learn a lot of support moves. An other option was Gallade (who I love, favorate mon of all time) who has acces to a lot of support moves but that would give me another ghost type weakness. So that being said.

I choose for a mixed attacker cause Overheat has more uses against Amoonguss and other grass walls. Close Combat is a non brainer a strong stab moves that wrecks anything that doesn't resist it. Even 2HKO Snorlax (if he lost his berry). 3th slot is a little hard cause I know with Psychic Terrain I can't use Fake Out on grounded mons, but on the other hand I will not know if it's up all the time. In the last slot I went of Encore over Protect, cause with how fragile Infernape is I don't think I need it. So Encore will show more uses.

The given EV spread lets me 2HKO the most used EV spread Celesteela with Overheat after leftovers. Max speed to be as fast as possible to do his job and disrupt or attack. And the rest is in attack for extra power on the physical side.

196 SpA Infernape Overheat over 2 turns vs. 228 HP / 148+ SpD Celesteela: 216-256 (107.4 - 127.3%) -- guaranteed KO in 2 turns after Leftovers recovery.

So this is my team, I put some words in bold. This are the points Im thinking about, if you have other tips, let me hear them. But please don't come with that said mon is bad so use this OP shit. I like this team it's well rounded the only mon I probally would change is Infernape if something better comes along.

Last edited:
Years
Hey guys, it's been a while since I last posted here. Decided to go back on competitive and see how things go. I think I made a well rounded team but as for the final slot is kinda hard to put something in that covers some threaths. I opted Infernape over Blaziken cause it has acces to Encore and Fake-Out and can function as a mixed attacker. Well here is the team and under every mon there will be a small explanation why I chose said moves and EV spreads even though some are standard.

4p0pCbW.gif
->
yIWIygh.gif

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability - Clear Body
Nature - Jolly
EV's - 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Pretty standard set, Jolly nature with max attack and speed investments to hit as fast and hard as possible. Meteor Mash for sheer power instead of the more relaibable Iron Head, Zen Headbutt as second stab. Ice Punch for coverage and to hit dragons and that Lando hard.

PDCZc1t.gif

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability - Psychic Surge
Nature - Timid
EV's - 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Protect

Again a more standard set. Timid nature to reveal if Landorus-T has a Choice Scarf, although Assault Vest would be more common now a days, free information is always appreciated. Pyschic and Moonblast for stab, when the latter hits Dark types and is more powerfull for neutral damage if there is no Psychic Terrain. I opted for Taunt over a coverage move because I hate Trick Room and status moves that can cripple Metagross. Overall a very strong teammate for Metagross who benefits greatly from Psychic Terrain.

QtnQaUp.gif

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability - Levitate
Nature - Modest
EV's - 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power

Again a common set for Hydreigon. I opted for a Choice Scarf with 236 Spe and a Timid nature to outspeed Timid 252 Tapu Lele, but I saw no use for it cause I can't even hurt it. So I went for a Modest nature with 252 Spe and SpA to be as fast and hit as hard as possible. Draco Meteor and Dark Pulse are stab, Fire Blast to do as much damage to Steel types as possible and Earth Power to threaten Heatran and Tapu Koko.

f0nAfv2.gif

Zapdos @ Psychic Seed
Ability - Pressure
Nature - Modest
EV's - 252 HP / 148 SpA / 80 SpD / 28 Spe
- Thunder Bolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Tailwind
- Protect or Roost

I wanted something bulky that could also give me speed control. I thought about some bulky water pokemon like Milotic or Suicune but I went for Zapdos. The reason for Zapdos is it can also help me out against rain teams. Thunder Bolt for relaiable damage and HP Ice to hit dragons and flying types. Tailwind for the speed control the last slot is a hard one though. I would like to be able to use protect to predict moves but on the other hand I would like Zapdos to survive as long as possible.

Given EV's make sure Zapdos is bulky enough on the SpD side to survive a modest 252 SpA Shattered Psyche from Tapu Lele when on misty terrain. Also the EV's in SpA make it so it will 0KO an univested non Assault Vested Landorus-T. The rest is dumped in to speed to make it a little faster.

hao9iT2.gif

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability - Intimidate
Nature - Jolly
EV's - 148 HP / 124 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower or U-Turn
- Knock Off

Here it is, the monster everyone is using but it has such good synergy with Zapdos and Metagross. It can take out Fire and Steel mons that threathen Metagross and in combination with Zapdos it can use EQ freely. Also Intimidate support to force switches on physical attackers. I want with some standard moves. EQ as stab and Rock Slide to have acces to another spread move that can hit flying types. Im not sure if I really need Superpower so I'm tempting to take U-Turn instead. Knock Off to get rid of those annoying berries etc.

Given EV spread is to make sure Landorus can outspeed Modest Charizard Y and take an Overheat from Timid Charizard Y and in return 0KO it with Rock Slide. Also it 0KO Tapu Koko with EQ and it makes Mega Kanga's return a 3HKO.

Unq6s4J.gif

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability - Blaze
Nature - Naive
EV's - 60 Atk / 196 SpA / 252 Spe
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Feint or Fake Out
- Encore

Reason I chose for Infernape is because I wanted a strong fire/fight type pokemon that could also support. I know Blaziken is far more powerfull than Infernape but Blaziken doesn't get to learn a lot of support moves. An other option was Gallade (who I love, favorate mon of all time) who has acces to a lot of support moves but that would give me another ghost type weakness. So that being said.

I choose for a mixed attacker cause Overheat has more uses against Amoonguss and other grass walls. Close Combat is a non brainer a strong stab moves that wrecks anything that doesn't resist it. Even 2HKO Snorlax (if he lost his berry). 3th slot is a little hard cause I know with Psychic Terrain I can't use Fake Out on grounded mons, but on the other hand I will not know if it's up all the time. In the last slot I went of Encore over Protect, cause with how fragile Infernape is I don't think I need it. So Encore will show more uses.

The given EV spread lets me 2HKO the most used EV spread Celesteela with Overheat after leftovers. Max speed to be as fast as possible to do his job and disrupt or attack. And the rest is in attack for extra power on the physical side.

196 SpA Infernape Overheat over 2 turns vs. 228 HP / 148+ SpD Celesteela: 216-256 (107.4 - 127.3%) -- guaranteed KO in 2 turns after Leftovers recovery.

So this is my team, I put some words in bold. This are the points Im thinking about, if you have other tips, let me hear them. But please don't come with that said mon is bad so use this OP muk. I like this team it's well rounded the only mon I probally would change is Infernape if something better comes along.
Alright, if this team is for gen7 OU (not cartridge) Mega-Metagross is banned and many of the sets and some mons are unviable. Lele is ok though usually Landorus-T defense is run with leftovers to better check zygarde and other threats, Zapdos should be running leftovers, and be defensive to check/counter hawlucha,choice scarf Hydreigon is not the best scarfer, and counter lead ape without rocks is also unviable. keep in mind i do not mean in any way to sound mean i am just giving you my knowledge and honest opinions from playing the tier quite a bit. also offensive lando-T is generally run with a Z-crystal.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Alright, if this team is for gen7 OU (not cartridge) Mega-Metagross is banned and many of the sets and some mons are unviable. Lele is ok though usually Landorus-T defense is run with leftovers to better check zygarde and other threats, Zapdos should be running leftovers, and be defensive to check/counter hawlucha,choice scarf Hydreigon is not the best scarfer, and counter lead ape without rocks is also unviable. keep in mind i do not mean in any way to sound mean i am just giving you my knowledge and honest opinions from playing the tier quite a bit. also offensive lando-T is generally run with a Z-crystal.
It's a doubles team (there's a few small hints in the OP that indicate), so Mega Metagross isn't banned and the selection of viable 'mons/sets is a little different.

@rob: I think you're just gonna have to play around a bit with the bolded moves and see what ends up working better for you/your team in practice. But on Lando though, I'd run Superpower instead of U-Turn. U-Turn seems like a much better singles move than doubles to me. Superpower at least lets you whack stuff you'd wanna hit with a Fighting type move without having to rely on Infernape for that. Knock Off would be something to think about too for that slot, removing non-mega stone/Z crystal items is always helpful imo.

Back