• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other FULL] Vale Institute of Magic [M] [IC]

Colony

Poe and Palahniuk's Prodige
Years

• Vale Institute of Magic

Spoiler:

Background

On July 19th, 1941, a phenomenon occurred that changed World War II, and the entire world: denizens of Earth discovered that they could use magic, bending nature to their will. Not only that, but they found their bodies more durable, and capable of handling the extreme strain of controlling the elements. This was quickly put to use in medical, physical, and technological research under now-famous names such as Einstein; but more importantly it found a place on the battlefield. Magic's first offensive use in the war had been December 7th of that year, when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. The French immediately surrendered. Magic went on to become a major part of the war; the atomic bombs dropped on Japan had been crafted by earth mages, and the various elements had been used in place of conventional weaponry for the few who could wield it. On top of controlling the elements, mages had found that they became much more durable than before, their bodies harder to burn, blast, and penetrate than their normal counterparts, and for longer periods of time.

In response to the destructive nature magic posed to the world, at the end of the war the United Nations, in correspondence with the governments of various countries, had worked to keep public recognition of magic to a minimum. Conspiracy theories abound, magic soon became truly known only to mages and government officials. With the rise in mages and the Internet, however, it was necessary that institutions be built for the sake of isolating young mages and teaching them to control their abilities before they became a threat to anyone's safety, and before magic as a whole had to be revealed to an anxious public. Various government-funded boarding schools were erected across the world, and the United States alone now has 21 academies working in concert with surveillance networks to find as many magically-endowed citizens they could find. The oldest of these is the Vale Institute of Magic, known to non-mages as the Vale Institute of Higher Learning.

Located somewhere in the High Plains of the western United States, the Vale Institute of Magic is one of four high schools, ranging from grades 9 to 12, and is currently run by a powerful mage named Kristen Vale. Through any means of communication they can muster, Vale contacts young adults around the country (and sometimes in other countries) and invites them to complete their schooling at the Institute, providing not only control over one's magical prowess for use in battle and many recreational pursuits, but the full benefits of a well-funded education system. Roughly a thousand students attend at any given time, and they're typically accepted into their college or university of choice, or as apprentices for multiple vocations where they can put their magic and education to productive use. Needless to say, magic academies are pretty great.

Attendance comes with some hefty risks, though. While Vale has some of the best medical mages in the country (only surpassed by the US government), students could lose their lives, much like if every student was equipped with a loaded gun. Rumors also tell that the headmistress isn't as righteous as most believe she is. Some believe she has some hidden agenda for the students and faculty of the school. But that's just a rumor.

You are a student who, one way or another, was invited to the Vale Institute of Higher Learning for the start of a new school year, offered the best education the United States could offer. You may be new to your powers, or a seasoned veteran of the magical arts. You'll be making new friends, and learning about magic, yourself, and things about the world you may not need or want to know.

The School

Main Building: To the north end of Vale's campus is the main building, a fairly simple rectangular brick-and-mortar building standing three stories tall. First year students' classes and faculty offices are on the first floor, along with the cafeteria; infirmary; and the entrance to the gymnasium, which doubles as a basketball court. Both the cafeteria and infirmary are found in the east, while the gym is located in the west wing. The cafeteria offers a wide selection of professionally-prepared food on its own, as well as a few kiosks that give students quick access to Subway, McDonald's and Pizza Hut. Kitchen-inclined students have culinary classes here. The second floor is made up by second and third year classes, and the third floor holds the headmistress' office and fourth year classes. Classes are based on years of study at Vale (and in some cases experience), rather than being segregated by age.

Magic Fields: Along with traditional sports fields found immediately west and east of the school, behind the building to the north is a collection of eight magically-charged battlefields (about half the size of a football field) tended to by a small group of Vale staff, including a groundskeeper to allow students to practice using their magic in various environments.

Recreation Center: The recreation center is the place to go if you want to have some unconditional fun on campus. You can find all sort of stuff here, such as TV, games, and some athletic equipment for the more physical students. The school's 50-meter swimming pool is located here. Half of the pool is inside while the other half is outside, and both are separated by a sheet of glass to keep the outside from getting in.

Dorms: There are two gender-specific dorm buildings on the south side of campus, with the boys' dorm to the southwest, and the girls' southeast. Student rooms are furnished with two twin-sized beds, two computer desks (including a MacBook Pro), two dressers, a closet, and a full bathroom. They can be decorated however students wish, and they can even exchange their desk or bed.

Ridgeton: The school is found at the center of a small, magic-filled town only about ten miles wide. Still, Ridgeton houses many magic-oriented residents, and a few restaurants, shops, facilities, and even a strip mall and movie theater. Students can work at these locations for extra money, and their student IDs double as debit cards. Vale rewards students with an allowance based on positive performance, behavior and achievements during their time at the school.

Magic

No one really knows where magic came from. Some scientists theorised that magic leaked in from a neighboring universe or alternate dimension, lending to their belief in various multiverse theories. Others dug into the existence of qì, the energy that flows through all living things. Others also turned into religious nuts. What we do know is that magic allows humanity to control and manipulate the natural world in ways most could only dream of. Magic users are known as mages.

There are four base elements from which all magic blossoms, and anyone can learn:
    • Fire
    • Earth
    • Water
    • Air

Most people (about 90% of humanity) aren't born with the ability to use magic, but with determination (or should they undergo trauma), they can learn how to use it. The lucky ones, however, find that they operate on a certain "wavelength", so to speak, which makes them compatible with a magical element from birth, but they may not even realize they can use it, leaving less than 5% of humanity capable of using magic. Academies like Vale exist across the world to raise that number and make it conducive to human progress.

With time, talent, and training, a mage's element evolves, taking on new forms. An ember becomes a spark of electricity, a bundle of stone hardens into a ball of steel or blooms into nature's bounty, water freezes over or seeps into the skin and recovers it from damage and stress, and the invisible air solidifies into smoke and vapors.

There are three other elements to magic, but they are not taught at Vale due to their rarity, and they cannot be learned. These mages are "chosen" by the element they wield by overwriting their original magical wavelength, and may very well have controlled one of the four elements before the new one supplanted it. They are named the Light, Darkness, and Spirit elements, and supersede one's ability to use the natural elements.

Light and Darkness wielders are able to manipulate the power of light, or the lack thereof. It's not unheard of for a Light mage to literally become a beam of light or make a solid shield, or for a Darkness mage to sink into the shadows or make a spear. Although their individual abilities and limitations are aligned with the four natural elements, no one really knows what would happen if Light and Darkness mages could combine their efforts.

Spirit mages, however, don't have control over the physical world. Spirit mages manifest their force of will. By generating and using their own energy, rather than that of the elements surrounding them, Spirit mages can achieve a variety of feats, from mimicking the properties of other elements to increasing the abilities of other mages. With diligence, patience and years of practice, officials believe the few Spirit mages there are would be able to transcend the limits of a physical body; they are power personified.

Rules

∞ All PC and RPC rules apply.

∞ All IC posts must be at least 100 words in length.

∞ Do not use abbreviations like "lol" or "omg".

∞ Do not double post.

∞ Do not godmod or bunny other players' characters.​

∞ Colony and Songbird are the GMs of this roleplay. Please do not question our decisions. Chances are we've already answered it.

∞ Respect your fellow players; communicate. It hurts everyone when you don't.

∞ You can't win everything. Be prepared to take a loss at some point.

∞ This RP is rated M for mature/16+. Themes involving excessive gore, explicit bedroom scenes, or overt amounts of swearing are still banned.

Accepted Characters

∞ Zane Reav - Colony

∞ Shion Kavanagh - Songbird

∞ Domingo Hernández - Geras32

∞ Alma Sophia Jones - Nakuzami

∞ Jack Marrick - Lord Sephear

∞ Violett Fuerst-Shaw - Grif of Hearts

∞ Nasrin Nouri - doge

∞ Michael Graves - DreamOrDestruction

Signup Sheet

Name:

Element:

Spells:

Appearance:

Personality:

History:

Other:

Day One: First Announcement

A loud bell rings across the campus, quickly followed by a woman's voice. "We here at the Vale Institute would like to extend a warm welcome to students both new and returning. Please relax and take the time to roam the school grounds. Shortly after noon, you will all be called to report to the field behind the main building."

After hearing the opening announcement, your character has plenty of things to do. Some include:

∞ Explore the school grounds.

∞ Meet some new people.

∞ Do some last minute practicing.

∞ Get a snack at the cafeteria.

∞ Play some games on your device of choice.

∞ Or anything that doesn't get them killed.​

Last edited:

Sephear

Believe in the you that believes in cheese
    Years
  • Jack, Luca and Lucia: Insert Title Here

A step onto the campus, a deep breath of the fresh air, then another step. "Here I am!" Jack Marrick said quietly to himself, a wide smile on his face. I never thought I'd get to go to some famous, fancy school. This is gonna be great! I can't believe I'm actually excited to go to classes! Even missing his parents already couldn't put a damper on his spirit as he walked down the pleasant path to Vale's main building, whistling a jaunty tune with his dulcet voice.

It wasn't long before the PA system rang throughout the entire campus, letting all the arriving students know that they had until noon to do whatever they felt like. He pulled out his phone and took a glance at the screen. That was about an hour away.

Jack held his hands behind his head for a moment after the announcement and puffed up his cheeks while he thought. Hrm, guess the excitement was a little early. Ah well, s'pose I'll just walk around for a while, take a look at the school and get a feel for the grounds. As much as he would have liked to just walk the grounds and admire them for a bit he decided in the end that it would be more practical to take a stroll through the actual building so he'd know where to go when it was time for orientation or classes. When Jack finally went through the front door of the Vale's main building he was as impressed by the splendor indoors as he was by the grounds. Apparently he wasn't the only one who thought knowing where they were going might be a good idea, because he could barely see anything through the mire of people in the main hall.

Jack had always been good at weaving through crowds, and he did his best to avoid touching anyone on his way through the hall. Eventually his tact was thrown out the window when someone else clumsily bumped into him, which made him stumble and bump into someone else before hearing a fairly loud thump.

"Ow!" a faint cry came from below Jack's field of vision. He looked down to the person he had bumped into, and briefly stared at a bundle of black hair atop a blue and white sundress. Jack quickly offered the girl a hand and helped her up after she hesitantly accepted.

"Sorry," she meekly started. "I wasn't watching where I was going."

"No no, please allow me to apologize. I should have been more careful, maybe if I'd been focused more on my balance and less on just avoiding people altogether I wouldn't have stumbled into you like that. Are you alright?"

"Yes, thank you."

Once the girl was completely upright Jack let go of her hand and smiled down at her. "I'm so sorry for my clumsiness, I was just taking a look around so I wouldn't be lost when our time to mess around was over."

The girl chuckled, "I could do with some direction right now. I came here with my sister, and I can't find her anywhere."

"Oh man, that sucks. I hope you can find her soon, I mean I'm sure you'll be safe in the halls of the school. But the thought of a girl who looks so gentle walking around a big place like this all alone still doesn't sit right with me..." He scratched his head. "Where were you going before you got separated? Maybe if it's not too far she'll be here to find you in a few minutes."

"We got separated in the cafeteria, but she wouldn't be there now."

Jack sighed; it seemed like his quest to explore the school would have to wait, the girl wasn't telling him to go on without her and he couldn't just leave her if she wasn't okay on her own—

"I shouldn't be bothering you with this," she continued. "I'm sorry to take up your time."

"No-no it's quite alright, I'm the clumsy one here. Would you like some help finding your sister? It's the least I could do after knocking you over like that." His eyes widened when he noticed he hadn't intoduced himself yet. "Oh! Where are my manners? I'm Jack, Jack Marrick. What's your name, if I may ask?"

The girl smiled in response and looked up at Jack's face, extending her hand. "My name is Luca Fera. It's nice to meet you, Jack."

"it's nice to meet you too Luca." Jack grabbed Luca's hand and gently shook it. "It's nice to have already met someone polite in my first few minutes here."

Luca nodded as Jack let go of her hand and thanked him for being so patient with her, promptly moving to the next topic and fidgeting with a sleeve on her dress. "We could look around the dorms. She might have gone back to our room."

"Alright then, I haven't really been to the dorms yet, so I'll follow your lead." Of course, Jack didn't expect to be the one in front as they made their way out of the main building, but between him and Luca, he was definitely taller and more noticeable, so it was certainly easier for him to navigate the dwindling crowds of new and returning students.

When they finally got to the dormitory, Jack was stuck waiting outside the pair of rectangular buildings. It wasn't a problem to him—he wasn't going to just casually wander into the girls' side and say, "What's up?" Still, it was a boring wait, not like he had anything to do. He thought about whistling to himself, but decided against it in case someone might think they were a cheap attempt at cat calls or otherwise getting girls' attention, as if waiting outside their place of rest wasn't enough.

Playing with a small chunk of dirt he'd pulled from the ground with his abilities, Jack heard his name called from the doorway. There was an attendant inside, Luca told him, that mentioned her sister heading to the rear side of the main building.

"Great! We've got something to work with, let's go!" Eager to finally get moving Jack made his way excited in the direction Luca had indicated for a few feet before he stopped and made sure he wasn't leaving the girl behind. "Sorry. I just got a little bored waiting outside. It's nice that we can move now."

Having used up 30 minutes or so of walking in total since Jack arrived, a new announcement was bound to be coming up soon. Freshmen were starting to gather in the back yard, surrounded by eight large fields, roughly half the size of a football field each, and every one of them had a different kind of ecosystem to it. A pond, plains, a forge on top of solid steel, and even one with torches amongst coals were among the list. It amazed Jack that the Vale staff could do this kind of thing, but then he realized that they were probably really good with magic, and apparently groundskeeping.

"Luca!" a voice yelled, immediately muffled by a splash of water. Running up in a loose black T-shirt and a pair of blue jeans was a girl strikingly similar to Luca in appearance and voice, wrapping her arms around the latter.

"Agh! You're wet!" Patting the girl's back, Luca pulled her away.

"Where were you? I couldn't find you in the cafeteria after I got swept away by the other students." She quickly acknowledged Jack's existence, realizing that he had been following Luca around as they arrived, and whispered, "He didn't do anything to you, did he?"

Luca shook her head, mentioning that Jack kept her company while they were wandering the campus.

The drenched doppelgänger smiled and extended her hand to Jack, offering it up for a handshake. "My name's Lucia Fera. Thank you for keeping my sister out of trouble."

Jack took her hand with the same smile on his face as when he'd introduced himself to Luca and shook it happily. "Nice to meet you Lucia, I'm Jack, and it's no trouble at all. What kind of person would just leave a lost girl all alone after bumping into her like that? I'm just glad she wasn't hurt." After, his eyes wandered just enough to notice Lucia's shirt was wet and he averted his eyes, but something did occur to him. "You're all wet, were you just in the lake or something?"

"Nah," Lucia answered as all the water from her clothes began to seep out, gathering into a ball in her hand. "I can use water magic. I was practicing."

"Oh, cool, and that's a clever way to preserve your modesty. I use earth and metal magic. What type of magic do you use Luca?"

Luca looked to her sister for a moment, then in Jack's direction. "A little bit of everything," he noted before glancing back at Lucia. "I need to get changed before the exams. Don't waste too much energy practicing before we even start." With all of their business finished, Luca ran off back toward the dormitory, leaving Lucia and Jack to their lonesome.

"A little bit of everything?" Jack turned to Lucia, but changed his mind at the last second. "You know what, it's none of my business. Hold on, exams? What do we do, show our magical aptitude somehow?"

"Something like that," Lucia replied. "Luca and I are from another school like Vale. We had combat evaluations like this every few weeks since we need to control our magic under stress."

"... Combat?"

Last edited:

Colony

Years

• Zane Reav

The smooth, pristine white ceiling encompassed Zane's vision as he lay in bed. The bed loosely wrapped around his form, a true indication of plush comfort. For a few moments he compared it to being caressed by some form of angelic entity. Quickly, his attention was drawn back to his ears, and more precisely, his headphones.

Music blared in his ears, drumming through each melodic note. One after another they played, blurring his sense of reality. The effect was only increased by the sensory muting experience provided by the bed and ceiling. He had been there for what seemed like ages, though in all actuality it had been less than an hour. At least, that's what the clock on his phone said the last time he checked. Zane was never all that good with time, after all.

The only reason he had been in bed in the first place was due to the announcement from earlier. There was no way possible for him to wait around for an hour, especially on the day of the entrance exams, which only gave him two options, either he could play phone games or listen to music. And since he was running low on energy in said phone games, he only had one viable option left. So, naturally, he decided to just lay here and listen to music until the time had come to head over to the fields.

Zane continued to kill time in this manner for what seemed to be at least another half hour before growing bored of lying in bed. He pulled out his phone once more, switched the music off, and slowly hoisted himself from the cushiony frame. Even though he had grown bored of listening to music, he had no idea what could remedy his boredom. Once again, his attention was drawn back to the entrance exams. He knew that his magic would be put to the test today, and that it'd be best to get in some practice before the main event.

First, he decided to do some basic control work. Zane formed a small orb of light about a foot away, and then started prodding at it with his hands. Like a piece of clay, the light orb changed shape, bending and shifting with each hand movement. This was a common form of practice for Zane, as it helped him with shaping hard-light objects. He continued to cycle through his routine, each exercise taking around ten to fifteen minutes each. Before he knew it, it was time to head over to the fields.

The walk from the dorms to the fields wasn't particularly long, possibly even shorter than the walk to the main building. Students littered his walk at all points, giving the school a surprising amount of bustle on a Sunday morning. Zane didn't really give anybody a good look over and only focused on the walk. By the time he actually arrived at the fields, dozens of people had gathered. Some were practicing while others were observing. Zane had already done the former, so he figured he'd do the latter now. He found himself a seat on the side of one of the fields and watched onward as various individuals practiced. The only remaining question that remained on Zane's mind was when the entrance exams would start.

"I guess I'll have to wait." Zane said, under his breath.

Last edited:

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
    Years
  • Violett Feurst-Shaw

If it had not been for the sharp tang of magic in the air that was exacerbated with every spell that the students cast then the Vale Institute of Magic, or the Vale Institute of Higher Learning as it was known by those without magical powers, might have seemed like any other academy in the world. It was large and carried an undeniable sense of grandeur about itself that would have made the simple act of stepping through its doors feel like the start of a brand new adventure. The late-morning sun hung high in the sky and the voices of students could be heard down every corridor, organising their things and making new friends in this strange and unusual environment.

A young woman stood outside of the main building of the school, examining it and its grounds intently. She was a third year student but brand new to the school, tall and with long black hair that was kept immaculate at all times. She wore a brand new leather jacket which she tugged tighter to her body, enjoying the warmth and protection against the morning wind it offered, and her black boots clicked gently against the pavement every time she moved her feet. With a flick of her hair and a sway of her hips she walked forwards, pushing the doors of the main building open and strutting inside.

Violett's lips curled into a smile as she entered the hallway, sliding passed a small congregation of other students who were gossiping amongst themselves as she did so. She noticed one male student look up at her, momentarily distracted by the woman who passed him, and Violett winked playfully back. He blushed and her smile turned into a large grin. Installing herself in this school would be easy.

This was Violett's first proper examination of the school. She had explored here before, both on a visit for an applicant day some months back and when she had carried her things up to her new room, but this was different. While Violett had spent an adequate amount of time exploring Ridgeton, the small town that surrounded the school, the school was new enough that she still felt the need to explore. Her body tingled with excitement, and she eager to find out just what made the school and the people in it tick. Violett intended on inspecting every aspect of the school intently, eager to know every nook and cranny of the building.

The school's PA system rang out only a moment later. The voice of a woman spoke and she gave a brief welcome to both the new students of Vale, such as Violett herself, and those that were returning for their second or third years. It was a nice sentiment, even if Violett was too wrapped up in her own thoughts to truly appreciate it.

She had caught a glimpse of her own reflection in a window and noticed almost immediately that a few strands of her hair were out of place. Violett groaned, using her slender fingers to put them back into place and the window as a mirror to help her. Pouting her lips briefly, Violett was eventually satisfied with her efforts and carried on her way. Playfully teasing the people she passed from a distance. Violett found it incredibly amusing to watch, whether they happily bat the teasing back or squirmed under the pressure. It was those who did not respond at all that disappointed Violett, but thankfully the students of Vale seems more than eager to liven up her morning.

Eventually Violett found herself back outside of the building in a large field that was just as packed with people, and she was finally contented with her knowledge of the school's layout. She was even happier with the students at the school, most of which showed great promise for entertainment. She sighed happily, resting herself casually against the outside wall of the building. Violett glanced at her watch and noticed that it was growing closer to noon which, according to the PA announcement, meant that she would be needed out here in the field in a short amount of time.

While Violett could have seen what the rest of the school had to offer she elected to stay here and try to cause as much mischief as she could. A few flames sparked between her fingers, dancing elegantly across her skin. Violett played with it, watching as the fire warped and twisted into different shapes, colours and sizes. Meanwhile her keen eyes scanned the horizon, looking for something else for her to toy with, and it was only moments before she found her first victim. A blond-haired male student, likely in the same year as Violett, was busy gossiping with two younger female students who looked up to him doe-eyed. She eyed the three of them up like a lion would its next meal, preparing herself for the most opportune time to approach, until eventually she pushed herself from the wall and taking a slow walk towards the trio as she played with the tiny cinders that formed in her palm.

"…Combat?" she heard the man say, and quickly interjected when she was close enough.

"Combat trials. They're common in schools of this… unique nature," Violett said. A soft, sweet smile had appeared on her face and she purposefully emphasised her accent to sound a little more exotic. "It is far easier to compare the magical skills of an individual in action with another mage since it shows their versatility and ability to operate under stress."

"Sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. " She held out a hand daintily to Jack. "My name is Violett. Violett Feurst-Shaw. I am new to Vale and I can't say I know many other people. I hope you don't mind me interrupting your conversation."

Last edited:

Geras

Roleplayer
    Years
  • Domingo Hernández: Land of The Free​

As Domingo gradually regained consciousness, his body felt light. It was almost as if he were floating. His eyes fluttered open to a blurred scene of pure white. His senses felt numb, but despite that he was calm. The last thing he could remember was being surrounded by complete darkness and not being able to breathe, but now he felt safe. Domingo took a deep, relaxing breath before speaking softly. "Parece que he llegado...al reino de Dios."

"Mr. Hernández, I don't know what you've been smoking but where can I get some? Don't answer that, I'm joking."

The voice was that of a grown man, but the words and even the language he spoke definitely weren't something Domingo was expecting to hear. Suddenly, everything began to snap into focus. The smell of disinfectant assailed his nostrils while the bitter taste of bile filled his mouth. As his vision cleared, the pure white image he saw was replaced by the sight of speckled white ceiling tiles and fluorescent lights. Domingo pushed down on the surface on which he laid with his left hand and realized that he wasn't floating at all, rather he was just on a particularly soft bed. He sat up in his bed abruptly and stared at the wall in front of him. Where am I? What happened?

"Well, from the look on your face I'd say you've finally rejoined us in the wonderful world of the living." It was that same voice from just now. Domingo turned to its source to see a thirty-something-year-old-looking white man in a lab coat sitting on a backwards-facing office chair, with his arms resting over the back of the chair. He had messy, reddish-brown hair that was all over the place, even standing straight up at some parts reaching maybe about 3 inches tall at most, but his most apparent feature was the big handlebar mustache he wore, the right side of which he was currently twirling between two fingers. Domingo couldn't quite figure out what to make of the man, so he found himself just staring. The man just stared right back for a moment before saying, "It's the mustache, isn't it? It just mesmerizes people."

Domingo was finally able to regain his bearings after a few more seconds. Looking at the white coat the man wore, he was probably a doctor or something. Was this a hospital? Was he sick? Before he could ask himself more questions, Domingo felt a chill at his back. It was then that he realized that he was shirtless, and his scarred and tattooed torso was on full display. Rather uncharacteristically of a man, Domingo felt compelled to pull up the blanket he'd been using and cover his torso. The doctor's only response was a raised eyebrow.

Looking at the markings covering his own body brought back memories of where they'd come from, and more importantly of where he'd come from. Taking another deep breath, Domingo finally asked the man the biggest question in his mind at the moment. Upon hearing the man's first words, his mind had been able to switch gears to English, so it didn't take too long to find the words he wanted. "So...what exactly am I doing here?"

"Figures you'd be confused. They said you were out of it pretty bad when they finally got to you. Well, here's what I know." The man spun around in his chair once before continuing, though it didn't look like there was any real reason. "Way I heard it, nobody responded to the letter they sent so they looked around for you and their cameras caught you running around in the desert. When they got there, you were underground in a little burrow with only a few puny holes for air. You were conscious then, but it's anyone's guess as to whether or not you were all there." As he said that, the man tapped at his own head. Domingo couldn't help but scowl. "They offered to bring you here and you said yes, so up you went on the chopper. Soon as you got on, though, you threw up all over yourself and passed out. It was pure bile, so it's pretty clear you hadn't eaten anything in a while. Your hoodie's being washed, so that's why you're shirtless. Well, hoodie-less. Dunno where your shirt went, but you didn't have it when they found you either."

While Domingo was glad that he was getting filled in on everything, the man still hadn't answered his question. He opened his mouth to speak again, but before he could say a word the man held up a finger and said, "Hold on, I'm getting there." Domingo decided to simply lie back down in bed, this time putting his hands behind his head to prop it up enough to be able to lie down but still be able to look at the man without hurting his neck. "Right now you're in the nurse's office which is my domain, not God's." Domingo was surprised that the man understood what he'd said before, but he kind of wished he could forget he'd even said it. "Specifically, the one in America's own Vale Institute of Higher Learning, or as everyone who knows what they're talking about calls it, Vale Institute of Magic." Magic… That power was the cause of all of his hardships, but he found it hard to hate when it was such an amazing thing, not to mention the fact that he owed his life to it many times over. He stayed quiet as the man, or nurse, it seemed, continued. "You're a student here now. Speaking of, you'd better get your ass over to the fields before you miss your entrance exams. They're right behind the building, you can't miss them. Actually no, don't leave yet."

After giving Domingo directions, the nurse stood up and went into into another room where the rustling sounds made it clear he was looking for something. Domingo simply stared blankly at the ceiling, struggling to wrap his head around what he'd just been told. One moment he was dying in a desert in Mexico, the next he was not only suddenly in America, the place he'd spent his entire life trying to reach, but he was also a student in a school that was rich enough to afford freaking helicopters. That was too crazy not to be a dream. Domingo sat up in bed and stared at his hands for a moment before pinching himself hard enough to cause him to wince from the pain. It looked like it wasn't a dream after all. Then something occurred to him. "Wait, entrance exams? Don't I get any time to study?" Domingo realized that an exam at a place like this would probably be really hard, and he hadn't actually been to school since he was 9.

The nurse called out from the room he was in. "Don't worry about it, you look like you can handle it just fine. It isn't a written test, it's a combat trial. You know, duke it out with another mage." Things were starting to go from surreal to ridiculous. What kind of school allowed fighting, much less required it? When he gave no response, the nurse said, "I'm not joking. Think of it like a military service academy with sparring and ****. I bet El Salvador's got those too, doesn't it?" Domingo was surprised he didn't say Mexico considering that's where they picked him up, but he didn't give it too much thought. The comparison made sense to him, and he wasn't sure he was happy with that. Well, at least even an American military school would be better than his old life. "Hey, what's your shirt size?" asked the nurse, seemingly out of nowhere.

Domingo stood up and walked over to a sink he saw by a wall to rinse the taste of bile out of his mouth. "Extra large," he called out as he pulled his oversized pants back up. He thought he heard a comment from the nurse after his answer, but he couldn't hear it very well. Turning on the sink, Domingo scooped some water into his mouth. He swished it around and spit it out, then repeated the action several more times until he decided his mouth had a passable taste. He then went back to sit on the bed until the nurse returned. Domingo saw him carrying four things: a white bottle that from the sound of it was filled with pills, a plain grey shirt, a small package of crackers, and a piece of paper.

"Here you go," the nurse said, handing the shirt and paper to Domingo. "The kids tend to get their clothes ruined all the time in fights, and they don't always come out of them healthy enough to just cover themselves and go back to their dorms to change, so I've got to have clothes here so they can at least stay modest until they can get into their own clothes again. The paper's just a map of the school, since it doesn't seem like you got any of the info from the invitation letter. As for these," the nurse held up the bottle. "These are vitamins. We mages are tough bastards and we heal quickly too, but we're still human and a vitamin deficiency is still a vitamin deficiency. Take one of those every day until you run out." He handed Domingo the bottle, then held up the crackers. "Also, don't go stuffing your face the moment you get to the cafeteria. Your body's gonna hate you for it. You've got to get back to eating slowly, so these crackers are gonna be all you eat for the next few hours. Got it?" Domingo nodded and took the crackers, quickly tearing open the packaging and wolfing them down. The nurse sighed and said, "You're not giving me much hope with that, Mr. Hernández."

Once Domingo finally had something in his stomach, he looked up at the nurse expectantly. "So is that it?"

"That's it. Now get going before they kick you out for not showing up to the exam." Domingo's eyes went wide and he stood up immediately, putting his new shirt on in a hurry. "Whoa, I was joking. They're not gonna kick you out. Although you'll have to reassess, probably get scolded, and probably see your allowance docked though."

Domingo turned to the nurse with a surprised look. "We get an allowance here!?"

The nurse couldn't help but chuckle. "Go, get outta my office." Before Domingo could leave though, the nurse held out his hand. "Mr. Hernández, the name's Jeff Wilson. It was nice meeting you. Good luck, don't die." On that rather uncomfortable note, Domingo shook the nurse's, Mr. Wilson's, hand finally left the infirmary.

As much as Domingo would have liked to explore the school and enjoy the splendor of America, he knew that he couldn't afford to miss his entrance exam. So, much to his chagrin, he ignored his surroundings and ran straight to the fields behind the building. It wasn't a total loss, as the fields themselves were enough to leave him awestruck. Each of the eight large fields had its own sort of environment, each one unique. However, as amazing as they were, the fact remained that this was where their "entrance exams" would be taking place. These were battlefields. Domingo took a moment to try and visualize what a fight between magicians would be like, but it occurred to him that he was the only magician he'd ever known. For all he knew, magicians could have an infinite number of abilities like super speed and laser vision. As cool as that would be, it wouldn't be good for whoever had to fight them, that being him in this case.

It began dawning on Domingo just how dangerous this would be. He'd killed with his power, so it was very likely that every student around him could do the same. Maybe the nurse wasn't messing around when he said "don't die". Domingo sighed, realizing that his new life might not be that much more peaceful than his old one. Then something else occurred to him. Every kid has parents, and there was no way that everyone here was a runaway like him. The nurse said something about a letter, too. All these students' parents would have given their consent to send their precious children to this place, so there had to be something making them feel it was safe enough for their child. An exam always has a proctor, so maybe here the proctor has ice powers or something to freeze someone who goes too far, or maybe even the power to stop time. It was entirely possible that the nurse had healing powers, too. However… Domingo looked at the bottle of vitamins he'd been given. It seemed that magic couldn't quite fix everything and that some things still had to be done the normal way.

Domingo was starting to feel a little nervous, but he was also feeling excited now that the he thought there was a safety net of sorts for the place. There had to be, or it wouldn't make any sense. He looked around and decided to sit by the back wall of the huge school while he waited for things to begin. It was difficult to believe that everyone standing in front of him, talking and laughing, was a magician too. No wait, Mr. Wilson called them something else. Magi… mage! It was similar to the spanish word mago so it wouldn't be too hard for him to remember. Anyway, they were like normal people. Besides the ones practicing magic already, making water float and stuff. It had been a while since Domingo talked with normal people like a normal person.

Suddenly, more civilian concerns began to plague Domingo. He looked down at his tattooed arms. While he had managed to cover most of his torso, his shirt was still short sleeved. Well, maybe if he acted nice enough they would be able to look past that. He hoped so, at least. With a sigh, Domingo rested his head against the wall, looking up at the clear sky. Blue as ever, but this was a different sky than he was used to. The sky over America. See mami, papi? I made it, just like you wanted back then. If you could see me now… well, you'd still probably hate me, but maybe I can achieve something here that can make you proud. Make you finally accept me again.

Lucifer-san

[i]Recently Revived Zombie[/i]
    Years
  • Micheal Graves: A Simple Spark
    ________________________________________________________________________________________

This was the place he was to spend his remaining school years at, it looked like any other ordinary fancy school but there was something that set it apart from others. It was apparently also a school for those with magical abilities and that was the main reason that he was here. He was rather gifted for someone who practiced magic, at least that's what his teacher told him back then, but he didn't really have any way to improve his skills currently as his teacher had…passed on so this would be a good opportunity for him. Standing there in the middle of the walkway leading up to the school building was him, the guy who had the black hair in a ponytail or to be more descriptive the guy in the dark blue jeans, bright red short-sleeve shirt, duffel bag and kick-ass custom designed running sneakers. His name is Michael and as you can by now tell he's pretty darn awesome, ya know.

"Hmm…so this is the place, I have to say it's rather impressive." Looking around Michael took in the sights of the students that were walking around and quickly judging them. Most of them were rather subpar but it was a given that there would be some people that wouldn't meet his standards, they were rather high after all. Scratching his head he let out a small sigh and decided that first on his agenda would be to get himself aware with the rest of the building as he had only really explored the dorms and the city that surrounded the school when he first decided to come here. It would be tedious but maybe someone would spark his interest as he explored, taking his time he made his way into the building deciding that he should hurry up before the exams that were supposed to happen start.

Walking around the building his eyes scanned the surroundings once more and this time committed them to memory as he strolled around. He wasn't in too much of a rush as wanted to make sure he had paths memorized in case he needed to make an exit or needed to find a certain room, he was slightly paranoid he supposed but it was a logical thing to do from his stand point. On a another point the inside of the school building was just as impressive as the outside, however there wasn't anyone he saw that stood out to him much. As he walked around he often looked at the other students and a few had looked back but they usually averted their eyes after seeing his, maybe they were a little nervous he thought to himself his stare wasn't that intense right?

As he traveled around he decided to take a small break before traveling some more he reached into his bag and took out a water bottle which he then drunk from to quench the thirst that was starting to get to him. Putting the water back into his bag he thought about what he had seen so far and suffice to say he liked what he had seen. His favorite place would have to be the cafeteria as it had an amazing selection of food from what he had saw when he went by, he didn't take the time to really look in fear of being sidetracked. Well he had seen a majority of the building he supposed after his walk around so exiting the building using the back exit he looked around again and saw a few more people walking around now that he hadn't seen before.

Letting out a sigh he decided that it was time for him to explore the rest of the campus while he still had the chance to do so. Leaving the building with his hands in his pockets he pulled out some Mentos chewing gum and had a piece, "Now where to next…" He murmured aloud to himself looking down at the map that was on his phone and to his surprise he noted it was nearly time to be to the fields. He quickened his pace just a bit and smiled slightly at his luck at having been close to where he had to go. On his walk there he saw some students but chose to ignore them in favor of thinking about whether he should wait and observe or get some practice in himself.

As he made it to the fields he picked a random one and decided in the end that he should just do some observing for now to conserve energy. If what his Uncle told him the exams were supposedly some sort of sparring or another so it wouldn't due to tire himself which his practice usually did since he didn't know the meaning of restraint. Taking a seat off to the side he reached into his bag and pulled out the latest manga he had gotten into, the words on the cover read "Tokyo Ghoul".

"Things are about to get real interesting, oh all the possibilities." Michael smirked as he spoke flipping the page of his manga lazily, hopefully he wouldn't have to wait to long for something to interesting to happen though otherwise that would suck.

Last edited:

Colony

Years

• Vale Institute of Magic

Day One: Second Announcement

A three-chime alarm echoed across campus, notifying the students that it was twelve o'clock. The bell was promptly followed by the same announcer from earlier that morning.

"To all incoming students, this is a reminder to report to the fields behind the main building for your Combat Application Exam immediately."

Back by the fields, the headmistress of the Vale Institute was standing behind a wooden podium. Not a short woman, the headmistress was actually quite imposing face to face, carrying wavy, dark brown hair and even darker eyes to rest in her light complexion.

Behind her was a collection of small, isolated environments that varied in what they represented, and a faculty member tending to each one. One was a pool with floating stone platforms, another an overgrown forest. There was even a cave made entirely of crystals and dirt, and a fourth seemed to be completely empty—a bottomless vent with invisible walls.

"Welcome, students new and old," the headmistress began. "As you may have guessed, my name is Kristen Vale. I am the person in charge of this Institute. This school was created to assist mages—users of magic such as all of you—to live normally among other human beings, without running the risk of harm to yourself or anyone around you, as well as to further the study and practice of magic as a whole.

"Whether you've come from a family well-versed in magic or you're the child and sibling of completely normal people, you have been given a gift of great potential. During your stay here, you will learn to access this potential, and control your abilities to their fullest. Before we can begin, however, we have a preliminary test that takes place to determine how capable you currently are under stress. This will allow us more personalization about lessons, and we will be able to teach each of you at a comfortable pace. We call it the Combat Application Exam.

"Your prowess in one-on-one combative use of your abilities will give us an idea of how your magic affects you, and what we can do to mitigate risks to your health while bettering your strengths.

"All new students will be divided up into pairs of roughly equal skill level, and given a few minutes to meet with each other. When you are called to begin your duel, you will be placed in one of the stages located behind me. Victory will be achieved either through rendering your opponent unable to continue, or through making them concede.

"Our staff will be standing by to ensure that no one is seriously harmed during these fights, so please: do not hold back."

Kristen then stepped away from the podium with an encouraging smile as it broke down into dirt and soil, a wooden slab rising in its place with various names side-by-side to allow the students to find their opponent.

Among nearly fifty other pairs, the following were listed:

Violett Fuerst-Shaw | Alma Jones
    Michael Graves | Jack Marrick
    Domingo Hernández | Zane Reav
    Shion Kavanagh | Jason Alley
    Nasrin Nouri | Reuben Hollings

Back