• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen emerald pokedex expansion: what could have been

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • so, both of the "sequel/third version" games after emerald, BW2 and Platinum, expanded upon the regional pokédex of their original games. BW2 expanded the dex to 300, Platinum to 210. Emerald is an exception, as it didn't add any new obtainable Pokémon to the regional dex.

if you were designing the game, what pokémon would you have added that weren't available in the original Ruby/Sapphire games? and why? technically this should be restricted to Gen III or earlier pokémon, since we're not discussing remakes per se, but it's not really a big deal.

my thoughts:
    Because why not:
    Ditto
    Eevee
    Flareon
    Vaporeon
    Jolteon
    Espeon
    Umbreon

Because Hoenn is rather short on Ice types:
    Seel
    Dewgong
    Swinub
    Piloswine

Like most regions it doesnt have too many Fire types, and half of them are double weak to water, so let's throw in a few more:
    Houndour
    Houndoom
    Growlithe
    Arcanine

thoughts? suggestions?

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
    Years
  • well I think the reason their pokedex's were expanded was: DP completely left a whole bunch of new pokemon (specifically almost all the new evolutions) until after the elite 4 and some of the new pokemon weren't even available without transferring their prevolution from rsefrlg (gliscor, tangrowth, electivire, magmortar); and BW only contained the new pokemon and nothing else so B2W2 was expanded so previous mons could be used, so with emerald, personally I don't really see a reason on why it needs to be expanded, but regardless it could have been.

but anyway back to the real topic, this is a list of pokemon I feel fit into the Hoenn dex rather than I want in the Hoenn dex

• the Swinub line: their ground-ice typing just fits into shoal cave so well
    • the Bellsprout line: i feel they fit the whole tropical feel of hoenn
    • the Exeggcute line: again, tropical feel
    • the Krabby line: the region has lots of water, crabs being there makes sense
    • the Shellder line: lots of water means lots of shells
    • Lapras: just like the orange islands, surfing places on Lapras seems normal for hoenn
    • the Cleffa line: they give out a strong Meteor Falls vibe

it's quite a short list but I don't really feel most of the other pokes fit in Hoenn (apart from in the safari zone, but they all fit there XD)

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I definitely think Eevee would make sense. Although it kinda makes Hoenn unique as the only region where you can't get one, the fact that in Gen III you have to trade Eevee to Hoenn in order to get Espeon or Umbreon means it seems a bit weird that you can't just get it in the games themselves.

As for the lack of Ice-types and Fire-types? I think it makes sense that there's very few Ice-types due to the fact that Hoenn is tropical. The Fire-types thing is very overstated, excluding starters here's how many fire-type lines you can get in each of the games I've played:

FrLg: 5 (6 including Moltres)
    RSE: 4
    DP: 1
    Pt: 4
    HgSs: 8 (including Kanto starters, excluding legendaries)
    BW: 5
    B2W2: 10

When you factor in that HgSs and B2W2 pokédex both include around 50% of all pokémon that existed at the time, Hoenn doesn't actually have a shortage. Diamond / Pearl were ridiculous but Hoenn is just average.

Back