• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ugh, You're Back?

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Is there one character trope that makes you cringe every time you see it?

For me, it's mascots. From Pikachu to the pigmole from Gurren Lagann, I've seen my fair share of shows with some adorable marketing ploy that always seems to but in at the end of multiple scenes, if only to remind you of their existence. They rarely have any plot relevance that isn't shoved at them, and there isn't any character to them aside from their charm. I'm struggling to think of more, and I'm sure there's plenty, but I must've burned them out of my memory.

I also don't like the cute, quirky, adorable little girls Japan seems so fond of. Some annoy me more than others, but I've seen so many of them that they're getting on my nerves. The younger sister in No Game No Life was a particularly irritating example for me, while Mayuri from Stein's Gate appealed to me more than usual, for reasons that still baffle me. Maybe it's because she makes a good foil for Okabe?

Oh my goodness I totally agree. Just because Pikachu is the mascot doesn't mean it has to be literally EVERYWHERE (except unova in B/W). People dress up as pikachu, have pikachu toys, pikachu has 2 unique Z moves, it got a prevo, and that's not even close to all of it. After a while I just cringe after seeing Pikachu. It's not even that cute compared to say, Marill, cutiefly, or mudkip. And because pikachu is an electric type, a lot of electric types get a lot of attention.

Years
  • I dislike characters that either overly good at everything or that are overly bad at everything. You'd think they wouldn't be that common but they are.

SkyeSisters

Want a dose of experimental hydroxyacelunodosetras
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2017
    I didn't use to mind mascots, but then I played the Ace Attorney games and saw the Blue Badger everywhere.

Hmm...I'm not a fan of situations such as the following exchange:

Character #1 - And you're sure you don't know anything about the victim's poisoning?
    Character #2 - Of course not! Why would I, after all? I didn't know the victim; I've never even met her!
    Character #1 - ...I didn't say the victim was female.

The problem for me is that it's ALWAYS the same characters in this trope; I'm referring, of course, to Jessie and James in the slot of Character #2. I once read a fanfiction with Cassidy and Butch in this slot, and that was only slightly more bearable.

Back