• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Original] The Old King

Years
  • Before I begin my story I must say it is quite short, and it's one of my first so feel free to critique it.
    I've corrected as many grammatical errors as I could find so I'm certain it's readable. Enjoy.

There was a kingdom resting between two tall mountains. A kingdom as old as time itself, which was the first kingdom established that had not fallen to the evil in the land. The king who ruled in this kingdom had kept it and its people safe for many years. Following the example set to him by his father, whose bloodline went back to the first king. He was gentle with his people, and had rarely been seen to draw his sword.

The old king was humble despite successfully defending the kingdom from the many sieges that had occurred during his reign. After many years on the throne he began to look for a new king to take his place. But after turning away so many men, he began to feel discouraged, fearing that he man never finding a suitable successor. However one day, someone with a dark intent approached the king. The king recognized the man despite his dark form. The dark man demanded the king to hand the throne over to him. The king was not so easily swayed, refusing to surrender the throne to the man, he hoped he could get through to him somehow, and talk him out of his folly.

But the man was only enraged by his obstinance, and threatened the king's life. Knowing his own infirmity and seeing the anger burn was enough to convince the king to step down. There was nothing more he could do, for his sacrifice would be in vain. With the kingdom now under his command, the man threw the king out of the castle. Locked out of his home by the man's power, the king headed to the edge of the kingdom where he hoped he could live off of the scraps and generosity of those whom had once been his people.

The next day the king grew restless, for the passing whispers of the new king preparing to assault an enemy kingdom that had once almost brought the kingdom to its knees were enough to stir the old king' emotions. Now knowing of the man's overconfidence in his powers, he would have to be there for the outcome. While the man had merely dabbled in the dark arts, the enemy kingdom bathed in darkness. With the armies of what was his kingdom marching to war, the old king borrowed a horse to ride to the battle, with plans of staying at a distance so as to remain unseen.

At the enemy kingdom the battle that ensued was tremendously one-sided, with the dark king destroying everything in his path. Until the enemy king came out to challenge him. The fight was fierce, but brief. The enemy king grew tired of the fight and ended the whole battle with a blow to the dark king so mighty, that it shook the ground. All the dark king's soldiers who were still alive fled back to their kingdom in fear of the enemy king, who stood triumphant over the dark king.
    Eager to destroy the interlopers for attacking, the enemy king rallied his armies and began their march toward the old kingdom. With the enemy king's armies moving toward the old kingdom, the old king moved towards the fallen king. Finding the man alive, he helped him to his feet and led him away."I hate to say I warned you, but I'm here for you now son".

Last edited:

Bay

Years
  • The king who ruled in this kingdom had kept it and it's people safe for many years

Its. "It's" is a contraction of "it is".

For while the the man had merely dabbled in darkness, the enemy kingdom bathed in darkness.

"For a while".

I do like the twist there at the very end, not just the dark man being the king's son, but the king forgiving him. Some part of me wonder if the father and son had a fallout of sorts and hence why the king tried to find someone else to take his place. I can understand though you left that part out to not spoil the very end, but I can't help but notice that one minor plothole, heh. Otherwise, I really enjoyed this a lot!

Back