• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Past of the Past": A Beta Johto Journey

Should there be Gen III and upwards Betamons?

• Yeah, we would like to see even more of t those Betamons!

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No, i'm sure Gen I and II have already enough Betamons and variations.

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
So While i was looking through designs, i found Honoguma. I think that every person who is well aware of Pokemon's Story and it's development during games, may know who this is.

So Honoguma is a Beta Starter Pokemon for Pokemon Gold And Silver. He was in demo. Beta Pokemon? These are Pokemon who were cut during development. But back at it. He was the original Fire Starter before our Beloved Cyndaquill came up. He was based in a Bear, as the Guma (Or Kuma) part of the name states, which is Bear in Japanese.

So i did then think "How cool would be if this was a starter.", and eventually, we (This was discussed in Discord at 4 AM, please) evolved this conversation of me finding Beta Maps of the Johto Region. And suddenly, people just started hyping about "Beta Johto Journey! Next RP of the summer!", and we started just searching into the beta, alpha and demo secrets of GSC about the Region of Johto, years before the happening of the games, as it would be the setting for the rp.

So to sum it up, my plan is to see who i interest with this idea. I mean, We gotta do a load of research in stuff, set up some Beta Pokemon to work better, and eventually, sure, we will have it. We plan to have a more plain Johto Region, as it wasn't as developed as of today, and we would have location different than you know. Who's up for it? I surely am.

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
SO this is a Jhoto AU based on what could have been in GSC?

Yes and no. It is more likely of Before of GCS Events. As in, Goldenrod wasn't as developed. It didn't have as much as things we had. And so on with other places.

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
Years
It's a really cool concept but in an RP setting I worry what would make it different from a regular Johto RP in terms of setting, culture and scenery.

After all, a journey RP that involves in game maps as more than a very very loose guideline to describe what two points are connected by what seems a little restrictive in terms of creative liberties... so if alternate maps are a big selling point of what makes this RP different, how exactly will they affect what the players are writing/doing in the beta Johto world?

You mentioned this Honoguma, would it be included in the RP? Are their other betamon present to help this RP stand out alongside it?

Now what you said about the region itself being less developed story wise IS very interesting.

I like the concept of an a pok?mon region in the past being the setting of an RP. A past version of Johto for the players to explore... you mentioned Goldenrod being less developed but by how much? A few years? A few decades? Centuries? There's a lot of potential for that kind of story when you consider the lore behind Kurt's Balls and their history as predating the modern design of pok?ball, for example.

I don't know, however, if your concept involves the story being set very far in the past as well as the maps.

I guess my main question is this: How far in the past is the RP set? And if not very far then what makes it stand apart from the typical Johto journey RP?

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
It's a really cool concept but in an RP setting I worry what would make it different from a regular Johto RP in terms of setting, culture and scenery.

After all, a journey RP that involves in game maps as more than a very very loose guideline to describe what two points are connected by what seems a little restrictive in terms of creative liberties... so if alternate maps are a big selling point of what makes this RP different, how exactly will they affect what the players are writing/doing in the beta Johto world?

You mentioned this Honoguma, would it be included in the RP? Are their other betamon present to help this RP stand out alongside it?

Now what you said about the region itself being less developed story wise IS very interesting.

I like the concept of an a pok?mon region in the past being the setting of an RP. A past version of Johto for the players to explore... you mentioned Goldenrod being less developed but by how much? A few years? A few decades? Centuries? There's a lot of potential for that kind of story when you consider the lore behind Kurt's Balls and their history as predating the modern design of pok?ball, for example.

I don't know, however, if your concept involves the story being set very far in the past as well as the maps.

I guess my main question is this: How far in the past is the RP set? And if not very far then what makes it stand apart from the typical Johto journey RP?

Well, i think that players would explore a different story. As Gold and Silver explored Team Rocket's come back, giving Johto the vibe that it needs an hero, it's not as much in this setting. In fact, i plan to make Past Johto more peaceful, but not completely peaceful. This is also due to Region limits. For example, the region itself didn't have certain limits written down, so there would be a lot more to explore, such as west of Cherrygrove/east of Route 32, The long ocean West of Goldenrod and east of Olivine, the wild, almost untouched by mankind, Cianwood Island, maybe even south of Cherrygrove, and probably more which i can't remember on top of my head. What i mean is, this Johto will affect players in one way, where we probably rely on Kurt to make Poke Balls, as they would become more rarer and mostly at shops, where the Gym Leaders would change, or even the gym order. As well as Pokemon, and even lack of technology, such as the lack of some features like the Time Capsule, The lack of the Pokemon Communication Center at the beginning, and lack of some facilities we knew. It's gonna have changes, but for those who are quite familiar with the Gen II Games, it would bring both a teeny bit of nostalgia while bringing a fresh adventure.

Honoguma, yes, the fan favorite Beta Starter, or not depending your tastes. As obvious, yes, these would exist probably in place of Cyndaquill, or both co exist being Cyndaquill the extremely rare one, but to be fair, maybe Cyndaquill will not exist to give this little guy a place. Like all other Beta Pokemon, yes, i plan to add every single of them, thus allowing a fresh, while reminiscing, experience with Pokemon. The Beta Starters would be the starters the players can choose, but if they feel a bit uncomfortable in trying something new out, worry not, old Pokemon are still available, and thus, adds more selection to what there could be. It will take a while to set up these pokemon Completely, but once it's done, it's going to be something new. Maybe some Pokemon who lack evolution stages on some beta Pokemon (Like the Starters), we could either look for fan art or ask someone to do art, or keep them as stage 1 Pokemon, but, as i said, not everything is done yet.

I see that the main question poking out. I see why. Well, as of now, i am planning in a huge decision with maximum 15 years or minimum 3 years. Probably 4-7 years back from Gold And Silver Events, which sum it up to 2-5 years before Red and Blue. If we do maximum 15, it would be 13 years before the events of Red and Blue. But i have this choice cause i want to date back quite a bit, but not too much. Just enough to make a different Johto experience to our eyes. Example, Goldenrod. How far it would date back? Enough for an old harbor to exist west of Goldenrod (As one of the Beta Maps show, there is a Route Gate to the east), to adding the lack of the Underground, the Radio Tower becoming a simple Radio Station, the lack of the Department Store and instead a Normal Poke Mart (Worry not, i'll figure out a way to introduce something similar to the Department Store), enough time for only the Pokemon Center to be finished, not the PCC or Pokemon Communication Center. With also the lack of the Game Corner (Maybe it was not finished) and Bill's New House. The Gym still would exist, but this town would have a look of a not so long created town.

Another Example: Cianwood is missing, and Lake of Rage is instead a town. Other Example: The Lack of the Dragon's Den (How, i don't know), or maybe a different league situated entirely in Johto, due to commission or jurisdiction problems in the border. We would also have Olivine's ocean Closed off, as in, a bay, so no possibility to reach Cianwood from there. Instead, if you wish to reach Olivine, take East of Goldenrod, and cross the sea. Or also the lack of gym in Azelea, so, should you want the Hive Badge, maybe the Gym was Ilex Forest. Or even whole new towns we don't even have knowledge off, and got forgotten in the future GSC.

What i mean is, i don't want to be earlier than 3 years, but no more than 15 years, or gap between this and GSC. I hope this answer was enough, and if any more clarifications are needed, just ask.

Reactions: Jay

KazukoHimura

"I guess I'm just a bit hungry..."
Years
I'm completely for this idea, regardless of how it turns out. All I ask is that people understand that I have an 8-5 job and a long commute, so I can only post in evenings on weekdays. Weekends are fair game.

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
I'm completely for this idea, regardless of how it turns out. All I ask is that people understand that I have an 8-5 job and a long commute, so I can only post in evenings on weekdays. Weekends are fair game.

I'm fine. We just want to have a good time.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
Years
I like this idea but why not create a new region with all betamon included, not only GSC beta. Because, as I look at it, it's basically just a Johto RP, with new Pokemon and somehow a new story?

but either way, I'm always in for a good journey RP.

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
I like this idea but why not create a new region with all betamon included, not only GSC beta. Because, as I look at it, it's basically just a Johto RP, with new Pokemon and somehow a new story?

but either way, I'm always in for a good journey RP.

I see why you said that. But unfortunately, it's far too risky to actually add all Beta Pokemon starting from GSC. I have no way of proving that they existed. But i promise that RGBYGSC Betas are all here. Don't worry.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
Years
I see why you said that. But unfortunately, it's far too risky to actually add all Beta Pokemon starting from GSC. I have no way of proving that they existed. But i promise that RGBYGSC Betas are all here. Don't worry.

Why is it risky? I'm sorry, I'm not really familiar of game betas past Gen III lol. I need my blaziken/latias combination.

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Why is it risky? I'm sorry, I'm not really familiar of game betas past Gen III lol. I need my blaziken/latias combination.

Well, i agree that i would love some of Gen III and above betas, but unfortunately, that may not be possible, due to actually being there Gen III or above Pokemon, mainly like hidden, in quests, or really really rare. Though that is not final, as this is still in development. Plus, i have a lot of beta pokemon and variations (Thanks to the palette limitations of the Gen I and II games). I will make a poll, but it's still early to assume things.

Back