• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Phantoms Lurking (PG-13)

Years
  • Age 30
  • No.
  • Seen Sep 1, 2018
Alright, so, it's been a long while since I actually wrote anything. I have never managed to continue with one of these, so, hopefully I can change that.

A few heads up first...

• I really like how the Pokémon Generations miniseries had a blend of both games and anime. This will lean more towards anime, especially knowing more than four moves(not too many moves), but, will still retrain many events from the games.
• It's going to be darker, but, no gore or anything like that.
• I am continuing to debate whether firearms should be included. At the most, the police, but, I wanted to inform ahead of time in case it bothers anyone.
• If there is anything I can improve on, don't hesitate to let me know.

Chapter 1: Travis Raider.

Impressive infrastructure, vast forests, towering mountains, and, scorching deserts. These are some of the terms that are used to describe the Corona region. Its most prominent city, Angel City, is quite the impressive sight for those who are visiting for the first time. From its towering skyscrapers to the the famous Solgaleo Boulevard, named after one of Alola's Legendary Pokémon, it attracts thousands every year, with many things to do within the city. However, even the most lively cities have their dark side.....

Far from the towering skyscrapers of bustling downtown are areas of the city that will seem surreal to those who aren't familiar with Angel City. Some of these area are merely quieter parts with nothing malicious occurring. Others are not so lucky....

It's a quite evening as the sun sets over the the distant horizon. While the bustling tourist districts rarely have a decrease in activity, day or night, deep with the city lies an area that experiences the exact opposite. The area has been infamously named Dead Zone by the locals, because beyond the glamour and good times, the Dead Zone is controlled by the ruthless criminal organization that even the most hardened mafiosos shudder upon hearing their name: Team Phantom. Many do not dare to enter Team Phantom's territory, except for the police. However, not all people, Pokémon trainer or not, are the same....

The quiet late afternoon, devoid of almost any activity, is suddenly disturbed with a loud scream. Within one of the wide, run down alleyways that lie in between several of the area's buildings, a salamence is pinning a man against a wall using its left claw. The man, whose black, military-like clothing has been torn in multiple places, as even the center lego, two swords crossing with a skull under them, is only half there. The salamence stares directly into the eyes of the terrifying man, almost as if it's hungry for blood.

"L-look man, I-I don't know anything about who calls the shots in Team Phantom. They didn't tell me anything! Nor do I know anything about these Team Rocket rumors! Honest!" The man says in a loud, terrified voice. A young adult male walks up next to the Salamence, glaring at the pinned man. The man, too scared to make eye contact, looks at the young adult male's leather jacket, which is open, revealing a plain black shirt. The young adult male's short, black, slightly spiky hair comes down to the bottom of his forehead, but, it does not obscure the menacing, angry look on his face. "Don't lie to me." The young adult males says, with the menacing look from his black colored eyes focused on the man.

Salamence applies more pressure, pinning the Team Phantom grunt even more, causing him close his eyes and cringe in pain. However, as the grunt open eyes, he glances to the left, a slight smirk on his face. "I wasn't lying, kid. However, you've done it now. Backup's here. Better scram."

While remaining level headed, the young adult male glances to the left as well to see what the grunt is smirking about. After a few seconds of silence, he address his salamence. "Salamence, let him go. We got more to worry about." Obeying his trailer, Salamence takes his left claw off, thus freeing the grunt. The grunt slowly slumps to the ground, gasping for breath.

The attention of the salamence and his trailers is now focused on the reason why the grunt was smirking: A trio of Team Phantom grunts found them. This two, two male and one female, have their black uniforms intact, with the skull and swords logo clearly visible. Along with the trio of grunts are a trio of Pokémon: a weavile, a haunter, and, a electabuzz. Salamence roars at the trio of Pokémon, ready to fight.

"You have a lot of guts coming into here like this. I'll give you that," The female Team Phantom grunt remarks with a cocky smirk on her face. "However, We of Team Phantom shows no mercy to our foes. I'm afraid you'll have to learn that the hard way."

The young adult male closes his eyes and remains silent for a few seconds. Then, he open his eyes and smirks. "I'm a Pokémon Trainer. Not a garbage man. However, sometimes, everyone has to take out the trash," he tauntingly remarks.

"That's big talk for someone's who outnumbered 3 to 1. Not only that, we have one with a major type advantage," One of the two male Team Phantom grunts say.

"It will take more than numbers and typing to defeat me."

"I like this guy," The second male Team Phantom guy. "I will like him even more when we make him shut his big mouth. Electabuzz, use Thunderbolt!" Electabuzz unleashes a powerful bolt of electricity towards Salamence and his trailer. "Salamence, counter with Flamethrower." The young adult male calmly replies. Salamence flaps his wings, and, proceeds to take flight, while unleashing a powerful stream of fire from his mouth. The stream of fire overpowers the bolt of electricity and lands a direct hit on Electabuzz, sending it flying past the grunts, and ends up slamming it on the sidewalk, knocking it out.

"What in the...." The second male Team Phantom grunt remarks in shock.

"Ah, you're always weak like always!" The other male grunt sharply remarks. "Weavile, use Ice Beam!"

"Haunter, use Shadow Ball!" The female grunt commands.

Weavile unleashes a light bluish stream of cold energy from its mouth while Haunter puts its hands together to form a black sphere of energy, which it then fires.

"That's the best you can do? Pathetic. Salamence, Dragon Pulse." A large, turquoise green orb of energy begins to form in Salamence's mouth. Salamence then fires the orb of energy, which overpowers both attacks and strikes both the weavile and the haunter, knocking them both out, much to the shock of the other two grunts.

"T-this guy's tough!" The female grunt remarks with a surprised, loud tone.

"Low level grunts are no match for any strong trailer. You losers mare a complete waste of my time. Next time, I want to fight the higher ups. Tell them that Travis Raider is looking for a fight. Now scram. Or else." Almost in sync, Salamence lets out a more menacing roar, thus causing the grunts to free. As the young adult male recalls his Salamence back into the Poké Ball, out of the corner of his eye, he notices that the previous grunt has managed to sneak away during the fight. "Didn't produce any leads. Ah well. It's no fun fighting these low level grunts. I want to crush the higher ups. I'll get my chance someday." He proceeds to place the Poké Ball into the right pocket of his black pants. He then proceeds to walk out of the alley, unaware that another man was watching him from a second story window within one of the buildings.

This man's outfit is much different from the grunts, as it is a black suit, accompanied by a red tie and the same skull and bones logo on the left and right shoulder areas. He watches the young adult male, Travis Raider, walk away with a sinister smirk but composed look. "Travis Raider....you have quite the talent," the man remarks in a very calm, collected, almost unnerving tone. "Heh heh, you want to fight the higher ups in Team Phantom, do you? I will be happy to oblige. Just as soon as I...take care of some unfortunate obstacles. However, I, Valon Liniya, boss of Team Phantom, and the most feared man in all of Corona, accept your challenge." His smirk then becomes much more sinister, with a hint of a sadism in it, albeit retaining a collective demeanor. "I look forward to seeing your full strength. Or, will you drown in anguish? This will be quite amusing for me. May the best Pokémon trainer win." Suddenly, Valon's phone rings. Valon reaches into his suit pocket to retrieve his phone, before answering his call. "What is the current situation? Have you found anything on the rumors surrounding Team Rocket?"

"Nothing concrete, Boss Valon," a deep, male voice can be heard replying. "However, we did hear that it is not Giovanni who is leading this rumored new Team Rocket."

"Interesting...do you know who?"

"An associate of ours indicates that it is someone named Proton. He was one of the four Team Rocket Executives who tried to revive the organization in Johto eleven years ago. We will inform of you for further developments as soon as possible."

"Very well then," Valon replies before ending the phone call. "Looks like I cannot crush old man Giovanni quite yet. Another time will have to suffice."

The next day, Travis is sitting at an outdoor cafe table in the bustling downtown area of the city. Travis sips his drink, while looking at something that is on his laptop screen. He stares at the laptop screen, seemingly reading something with intense focus, slowly becoming lost in his train of thought.

I can see you're hard at work, Travis," a female voice calls from behind him, snapping him out of his train of thought. "Was that meant to be genuine or sarcasm, Melanie?" Travis remarks without looking as a young adult female, wearing a dark blue tank top, and, dark blue jeans, approaches him on his left, before taking a seat next to him. "A little bit of both. Come on, can't be serious all the time," She teasingly remarks as her long, black, elbow length hair slightly sways in the slight breeze that started to blow.

"So, how did the boyfriend selection go?" Travis remarks, glancing at her with a slightly amused smirk on her face as he takes another sip of his drink.

"Are you really going to go there again?" Melanie remarks with a sigh. "I told you like a hundred times already that I wasn't going to battle for that!"

"Remind me who just said I can't be serious all the time," Travis remarks while still smirking in amusement.

Melanie closes her eyes and sighs. "Sometimes I really want to smack you, you know that?"

"I know."

"Anyway..." Melanie says as she opens her eyes. "Still nothing on any of the big shots in Team Phantom?"

"No, but, I was reading an interesting article from an archive." Travis turns his laptop towards Melanie's direction. Melanie's focus turns towards the article on screen, specifically the title and date. "Fourteen years ago. The Sliph Co. takeover at the hands of Team Rocket."

"You know, don't you? About the alleged rumors and sightings of a Team Rocket presence in the Corona region?"

"Yeah. If true, they won't last long. Team Phantom is ruthless. Not to mention, they'll be duking it out on their home turf. However, you're forgetting someone, Travis. Someone who even members of Team Phantom fear the wrath of."

"Who would that be?"

"Don Cavano."

Travis remains silent for a second, before replying. "Yeah, you're right."

"You aren't going to continue this alone, are you? You know I'm ready to help in any way I can." Melanie remarks.

"You don't have to ask. Just come along," Travis replies.

"Just making sure you remembered, tough guy," Melanie replies with a teasing smirk on her face.

"Just don't call me Red," Travis remarks.

"Can I call you Brendan instead?" Melanie jokingly asks.

"No."

"Awww, you're no fun."

End of Chapter 1.

Also, a little guessing game for you. Deserts, mountains, forests. Angel City. Solalgeo Boulevard. Can you figure out what real world location I'm basing the Corona region on?

Years
  • Age 30
  • No.
  • Seen Sep 1, 2018
Thanks for the input. Descriptive writing is one of the things I always seem to struggle with, regardless of what I do. As for why the boss showed up, the idea is that the boss himself accepts this challenge, or any challenge directed as his organization. More about him will come in due time.

Back