• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My First Sprites (Tilesets)

s l u g

arriving somewhere but not here,
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 2, 2023
    Voila!! It's Good .. ^^
    ~~ no seriously it's you're first time and it's good for the first attempt~~
    Keep doing the good work ~
    good luck :D

PB.

'PB
    Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2011
    These are really great, An Excellent first attempt.

I couldn't get the first Image to show up.

-BlackShadow-

Shadow King
    Years
  • Shadow Weavile said:
    Way to big =\
    rezise them plz
    They are made in rpg maker xp form(32x32)

Totomud said:
    Voila!! It's Good .. ^^
    ~~ no seriously it's you're first time and it's good for the first attempt~~
    Keep doing the good work ~
    good luck :D
    Thank you totomud.

Perry! said:
    These are really great, An Excellent first attempt.

I couldn't get the first Image to show up.
    I'll reupload the first image.

Years
  • As a first attempt, they are fairly decent. But, they contain some serious flaws (please do not get mad at me. I am just trying to help), For one, they all have the same shape. You might want to change the shape a little for each one. Two, the roofs are pretty bad. They are all really thin, and have little shading. Make them a little thicker (I will explain shading later on). The rail on the Center's and Mart's roof needs to be a lot shorter, and a bit thicker, in order to shade correctly. Now, onto the shading. For one: The roofs have very little and the rest of the building has no shading at all. The light source in Pokémon typically comes form the upper-left corner. That said, the angles on the left side of the buildings should be lighter than the rest of the building and the right side should be a bit darker. About the grass and house (Custom Tile 4), I was not able to see them. You might need to re-upload them.

Now, please do not take my comments as offensive, and stop spriting. I am just trying to help you improve. There aren't that many tile-spriters out there, and the more, the better!

-BlackShadow-

Shadow King
    Years
  • Thank You for the comment Дон Пач I'll do my best to improve it. I might update again... Thursday.

!UPDATE!
    added House

added Gym

See First Post

Mechanic

Shin!~ hohohohoho!~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    The only problem they have is there shading a bit off, and also that they are a little big as someone said already.

Other than that its good for firsts attempts.

-Unit

-BlackShadow-

Shadow King
    Years
  • The only problem they have is there shading a bit off, and also that they are a little big as someone said already.

Other than that its good for firsts attempts.

-Unit

And as i said before it's in rpg maker xp form(Each tile 32x32)

Any way thank you for the comment i'm working on shading right now.

Mechanic

Shin!~ hohohohoho!~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    And as i said before it's in rpg maker xp form(Each tile 32x32)

Any way thank you for the comment i'm working on shading right now.

Oops, sorry, its just that i`m used to read the first reply skip the rest and post xD but nodaways work that shading b4 i boot you RAWR!

DarkPegasus

~ Stargazer ~
    Years
  • Nice! Another tileset spriter ^^

Hm, not very bad for your first attempt. In general your sprites only lack shading, where outlines are pretty good. Now, I know it's a paint in the a** but sprites just won't look nice if you don't shade them. Also, Дон Пач said a lot off useful hints, I'll probably repeat some of the things he said.

I'll try to help out a bit:

[1st sprite]: Ok, what you should do is widen the roof a bit. Also, you should know that roofs in Pokemon games make shadows, so sprite a bit of shade under roofs. Because the building is "bending", all the parts that are further from our sight should be a bit darker. Also, if you're going with the windows of that size, they should bend with the house.

[2nd sprite]: You made a nice outline. But grass isn't perfect, and yours looks mirrored, sorry. You should also shade it. Give it circular shades, where the lightest tone should be at the top.

[3rd sprite]: Same as the first sprite. The windows here look like they are a part of the roof, maybe lower them a bit. The pipes (sorry for the bad word) should also give out a shadow and the right side of the looks a bit strange, I suggest that you shorten it.

[4th sprite]: Best so far. Now, the farther part of the roof should be darker. Also, congrats on making the farther part of the roof smaller, you have good perception.

[5th sprite]: Basically the same as for sprite number 3.

[6th sprite]: Roof needs shading. Now, there are two ways to do this. The first way is to make the left part lighter and the right side darker. The other way is to make the top of the roof (both sides) the lightest, and slowly work down to the bottom of the roof, making it the darkest. If you're going with the second way use dithering. Also remember that the roof itself makes a shadow.

[7th sprite]: Same as 3 and 5.

Hope I helped a bit.

Back