• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] How do I make a custom ability with a unique effect

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
I was watching a video earlier today which mentioned that Pichu's PokéDex Entry says that it often hurts itself with its own attacks, then joked that it should have a unique ability that makes all moves have recoil.

Long story short, I want to make it so.

I have all of the concepts down (name, description, etc) but I have no clue how to implement it. The idea for the effect is that it makes all moves do 5% recoil (usually only 1 or 2 damage tbh bc of Pichu's abysmal stats). This would affect moves like Struggle and Take Down which naturally have recoil, so a Pokémon with the ability gets some benefit too.

Years
Youd have to do all that in asm. Start reading asm tutorials and reading about ram locations. Go over to the ability resource thread and see how new abilites are added. This will not be an easy feat if you don't know where to get started. An asmagician could probably do this in a day but itll take a few weeks if you have no asm experience.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
Youd have to do all that in asm. Start reading asm tutorials and reading about ram locations. Go over to the ability resource thread and see how new abilites are added. This will not be an easy feat if you don't know where to get started. An asmagician could probably do this in a day but itll take a few weeks if you have no asm experience.

lol why would I need to edit the RAM if I'm making data for the ROM?

Years
lol why would I need to edit the RAM if I'm making data for the ROM?

You want to do 5% recoil. How do you calculate 5% of damage? Damage is in ram. Who has the ability so who gets that damage? Well that's in ram. Go look at the ability resource thread. Just about every ability uses info from ram...

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
You want to do 5% recoil. How do you calculate 5% of damage? Damage is in ram. Who has the ability so who gets that damage? Well that's in ram. Go look at the ability resource thread. Just about every ability uses info from ram...

huh...Never considered that...my noobness is showing XD

Back