• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Battle✓] Changing the abilities of opposing trainer Pokémon

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2022
    In Radical Red, the Pokémon of opposing trainers can have any of their abilities, including hidden. I'm trying to put together an Emerald decomp hack, but I haven't found a way to edit the abilities of trainer Pokémon. Is there a simple resource that I'm missing, or is this a more scripting-intensive problem?

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • In Radical Red, the Pokémon of opposing trainers can have any of their abilities, including hidden. I'm trying to put together an Emerald decomp hack, but I haven't found a way to edit the abilities of trainer Pokémon. Is there a simple resource that I'm missing, or is this a more scripting-intensive problem?
    It's completely unrelated to scripting.
    A trainer's Pokémon can only use their very first ability by default.
    As a result, you need to modify at least one of the structs that handle a trainer's Pokémon data in order to make them read abilities.

Is there a simple resource that I'm missing
    As a matter of fact, yes. There's 2 contributions related to this in the Simple Modifications Directory.
    This is one of them, and this is the other one.

The first public resource, Diego's, does specifically what you want. It allows you to set the ability of a trainer's Pokémon no matter what type of party type your trainer uses.
    The second one, Surskitty's, is more complete. It gets rid of the 4 types of trainer party and instead uses a single, general type that allows you to edit anything you could possibly want out of a trainer's Pokémon. Ability, nickname, EV, IV, Poké Ball, moves, shininess, etc.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2022
    Lunos, you are a gem. I read through the Simple Modifications post and missed these somehow.

Thank you.

Back