• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Hello people i was wondering how i can change the MAP name of a new map (i created 43,0 for this in Fire Red) without changing existing map names such as PALLET TOWN or ROCK TUNNEL.

and how do people change map tiles into completely new tiles do they make them theirself or how does it work

hope someone can help me
Go into the Header tab in A-Map, and click the dropdown next to the spot where you can change the name of a Map. It'll let you select a the map name. You need to refresh A-Map for the changes to become noticeable, with either F5 or closing and reopening.

Hello, I have two questions.

Both are associated with Pokemon Fire Red:

First Question:
I just made a new route in my hack, and I removed all of the person events. Yet, when I go in game and go to the route, there is one person still wandering around. I can't figure out how to get rid of him. He isn't associated with a level script or anything, A-map even says he doesn't exist. (I was editing Route 2 if it matters) Help please?

Second Question:
I was trying to insert a new Rocket Grunt Sprite into unLZ. First off, I exported it from unLZ and edited it in Paint. Then, I went into a program called IrfanView and loaded up my sprite. From there I went to | Image --> Decrease Color Depth --> 16 Colors. I copied the image at that point. Then I edited the palette and switched my background color to the first palette slot. Then, I saved my new indexed sprite.

Next, I went into Paint and opened up my indexed sprite. I pasted the original sprite over my new one to get rid of the pixel mess-ups that IrfanView made. I saved the sprite. Here's where the problem comes in. I went back into Irfanview with that sprite and checked to make sure the color depth was still 16 colors but it automatically changed the color depth back to 256 colors and reset my palette changes... Help please?

Thanks.

For the second question, the newer Paint no longer supports indexed files. use Gimp or Photoshop.

Years
  • Seen Aug 24, 2012
Hello! I've just started ROM hacking today, and I'd like to start small by simply editing a Pokemon Emerald ROM to better suit my preferences. First on the agenda is to replace all of the protagonist trainer sprites.

Using destinedjagold's Sprite Indexing and Inserting Tutorial thread, I was able to change the basic sprite (the one in the trainer card) of the female protagonist. However, how am I to go about changing all of the sprites? This includes walking, cycling, surfing, in the end credits, etc.

Much appreciated to anyone who can help me out!

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
Ok, I just realized I don't like music hacking, as it is very difficult and tedious (especially with Sappy), so I may switch over to Ruby as my rom base due to it having a lot more and better music in my opinion.

My question is: Is it possible to initiate a wild battle similar to the GHOST from FireRed using Ruby(where you can't do anything to it but Run)? If not, can I somehow make a Pokemon absolutely uncatchable/have attacks done to it be completely ineffective?

EDIT: Another question, In Ruby, is it possible to script a "checkpokemon" event (like special2 does for FireRed), where it will check if I have a certain Pokemon, and will do something else based on that?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2021
Go into the Header tab in A-Map, and click the dropdown next to the spot where you can change the name of a Map. It'll let you select a the map name. You need to refresh A-Map for the changes to become noticeable, with either F5 or closing and reopening.
This is what i said in my message if i do that it changes the current names of all the maps so example i make a new map and name it Shadow Cave maps named ROCK TUNNEL get that name i want to make a completely new name

hope anyone understands it now and might work

PS: Thnx for trying to help you just misunderstood how i ment it but thnx alot:D

Years
  • Seen Nov 3, 2019
1) I'd just use it like normal. I doubt anyone will notice or be annoyed by a cry playing when it's used.

2) Feel free to read an ASM tutorial on the Tutorial page...displaying full-sized images are not easy, and you wouldn't understand unless you knew ASM in the first place.

4) Yes, just make sure the "compressed" box isn't checked, if you're using Classic NSE.

5) Many apologies, but this is one question I can't answer. I don't hack music.

1) Nevermind, I found a method, it's Jpan hacked engine, it has show uncompressed picture function.

2) That's ok, thanks.

4) It's worked!!! Thanks.

5) ...Nevermind, I will post this question to this thread again.

redriders180

Years
This is what i said in my message if i do that it changes the current names of all the maps so example i make a new map and name it Shadow Cave maps named ROCK TUNNEL get that name i want to make a completely new name

hope anyone understands it now and might work

PS: Thnx for trying to help you just misunderstood how i ment it but thnx alot:D

You can only use the pre-existing names. In Firered, you get 109 names to use to your leisure, and you can only assign maps those 109 names. You can assign a map a different name in the way I mentioned earlier, by selecting the dropdown next to the name list.

Ok, I just realized I don't like music hacking, as it is very difficult and tedious (especially with Sappy), so I may switch over to Ruby as my rom base due to it having a lot more and better music in my opinion.

My question is: Is it possible to initiate a wild battle similar to the GHOST from FireRed using Ruby(where you can't do anything to it but Run)? If not, can I somehow make a Pokemon absolutely uncatchable/have attacks done to it be completely ineffective?

EDIT: Another question, In Ruby, is it possible to script a "checkpokemon" event (like special2 does for FireRed), where it will check if I have a certain Pokemon, and will do something else based on that?

Ironically enough, both of these are the reasons I've stayed with Firered. Of course, the cheating way is to make a Dark/Ghost Pokemon with Wonderguard and a catch rate of 0, but there won't be Silph Scope functionality, and it won't look as neat. You might want to disassemble the routine called by Special 0x156 and see what happens, and try to port it over.

I just took a look at an in-game trade script, and the important parts are so:

Code:
Setvar 0x8008 0x0
special2 LASTRESULT 0xFC
copyvar 0x8009 LASTRESULT
special2 LASTRESULT 0xFF
copyvar 0x800B LASTRESULT
comparevars LASTRESULT 0x8009
if 0x5 goto @donthave

It seems like special2 LASTRESULT 0xFC will put the species of the Pokemon wanting to be received in a trade into LASTRESULT. special2 LASTRESULT 0xFF seems to convert the slot number you specify into the species number, and stores it in LASTRESULT. The slot number is specified with Special 0x9F, which prompts you to choose a Pokemon. If Ruby is like Firered, Special 0x9F should store the slot chosen into a variable, most likely 0x8004. So, in theory, if you write the slot value to 0x8004, and call special2 LASTRESULT 0xFF, that should store the species number of that slot into LASTRESULT.

Hello! I've just started ROM hacking today, and I'd like to start small by simply editing a Pokemon Emerald ROM to better suit my preferences. First on the agenda is to replace all of the protagonist trainer sprites.

Using destinedjagold's Sprite Indexing and Inserting Tutorial thread, I was able to change the basic sprite (the one in the trainer card) of the female protagonist. However, how am I to go about changing all of the sprites? This includes walking, cycling, surfing, in the end credits, etc.

Much appreciated to anyone who can help me out!

OW sprites are uncompressed, so UNLZ.gba won't help you at all. Nameless Sprite Editor (Classic) and Overworld Editor (Rebirth Edition) are both great programs to edit overworld sprites. The credit sprites ARE compressed, so use UNLZ.gba to find them. I don't have a specific number, so just go through them all.

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2022
Hello.

I'm trying to create a new move, using the Attack Editor with Pokemon Game Editor. I replaced a move that I do not intend to use on any of my Fakemons: Volt Tackle. Everything seems to work as intended, except for two things:

-The description always stays the one for Volt Tackle. Even thought I press Save, just switching moves and going back to it changes the description back.
-The move animation also stays the Volt Tackle one, despite trying to repoint to the Leaf Blade animation. The Animation Pointer keeps the Leaf Blade value thought...

Any idea what's wrong? Should I download a new program to modify those?

Thanks in advance for the answer.

Years
okay... so i was trying to figure out how to extend just the starting dex to hold a couple more pokemon (cuz i figured in my hack 180ish pokemon were enough) so i started searching the forums for a way to do this. Jambo had a thread for pokedex hacking so i figured it was a good place to start.
Upon reading his post, i realized that that the following was exactly what i needed:
Kanto Dex Limiting Bytes:
Spoiler:

Evolutions work without National Dex:
Spoiler:

So after testing this out, I realized that while level -up evolutions worked, stone-based evolutions didn't (only 2 evolution types i tried)... which implies that there should be another limiter for the kanto dex in the stone - evolution data. Does any1 know where this limiter is?

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2014
54331986.png
74588853.png

When I resize pokemon sprite in photoshop that looks like blurry. What tool do you recommend to use?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2022
74588853.png

When I resize pokemon sprite in photoshop that looks like blurry. What tool do you recommend to use?

The problem is that Photoshop isn't really made for Pixel-art. If you resize a 1-pixel-think line of 150%, you'll see a line of 2 pixels layers: one fully black, and one fully grey. Same goes from resizing of 50%, in which the pixel will just become grey instead of black.

Your best bet is to manually redraw it. Resize it from Photoshop, send it on paint, and redraw every line so that it looks sharp. Or you could attempt to force photoshop to work in 16 colors only, but that may not look good...

BrandoSheriff

Years
Ironically enough, both of these are the reasons I've stayed with Firered. Of course, the cheating way is to make a Dark/Ghost Pokemon with Wonderguard and a catch rate of 0, but there won't be Silph Scope functionality, and it won't look as neat. You might want to disassemble the routine called by Special 0x156 and see what happens, and try to port it over.

I just took a look at an in-game trade script, and the important parts are so:

Code:
Setvar 0x8008 0x0
special2 LASTRESULT 0xFC
copyvar 0x8009 LASTRESULT
special2 LASTRESULT 0xFF
copyvar 0x800B LASTRESULT
comparevars LASTRESULT 0x8009
if 0x5 goto @donthave

It seems like special2 LASTRESULT 0xFC will put the species of the Pokemon wanting to be received in a trade into LASTRESULT. special2 LASTRESULT 0xFF seems to convert the slot number you specify into the species number, and stores it in LASTRESULT. The slot number is specified with Special 0x9F, which prompts you to choose a Pokemon. If Ruby is like Firered, Special 0x9F should store the slot chosen into a variable, most likely 0x8004. So, in theory, if you write the slot value to 0x8004, and call special2 LASTRESULT 0xFF, that should store the species number of that slot into LASTRESULT.

I took a look at one of the three trade scripts in Ruby and found those same commands as well. What I think I'll do is copy one of them and mess around with it to see if I can make it want different Pokemon and possibly give me more than one in return using givepokemon with it (I'm very ambitious. xD).
Seems there's a way around everything, I completely forgot about Wonder Guard! I just wanted a battle where nothing worked against it, forcing the player to Run as the only option. I guess that can work. Thanks for that.

iirc, special 0x156 is the Ghost battle? how do I disassemble that?

redriders180

Years
I took a look at one of the three trade scripts in Ruby and found those same commands as well. What I think I'll do is copy one of them and mess around with it to see if I can make it want different Pokemon and possibly give me more than one in return using givepokemon with it (I'm very ambitious. xD).
Seems there's a way around everything, I completely forgot about Wonder Guard! I just wanted a battle where nothing worked against it, forcing the player to Run as the only option. I guess that can work. Thanks for that.

iirc, special 0x156 is the Ghost battle? how do I disassemble that?

The routine for the Ghost battle starts at 0x0807F904. Just open that up in a disassembler and try to piece together how it works.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
You can only use the pre-existing names. In Firered, you get 109 names to use to your leisure, and you can only assign maps those 109 names. You can assign a map a different name in the way I mentioned earlier, by selecting the dropdown next to the name list
Well, you can always repoint the name of the maps table, and change the limiter bytes. You can find this topic in the r and d section.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Does anyone know how to set a spawn point in Pokemon Fire Red? I know there is a command "sethealingplace 0x?" but I want to change what happens when the player spawns. Maybe it has something to do with a flying position tile? Thanks.

Last edited:

BrandoSheriff

Years
sorry for asking so many questions, but I've run into a bit of a snag.
I'm currently using this tutorial to expand my attack table so I can include some Gen 4/5 moves: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=263479

It says it can be done with Ruby, but since it's done with FireRed in mind, I don't know the offset for the attack table or anything else, and therefore, can't do anything it's asking me to do. Is there a list of Ruby's offsets for the attack table, the attack names, and stuff like that? Google is not being my friend here. :/

redriders180

Years
Does anyone know how to set a spawn point in Pokemon Fire Red? I know there is a command "sethealingplace 0x?" but I want to change what happens when the player spawns. Maybe it has something to do with a flying position tile? Thanks.

Currently, I only know how to change the map and bank you spawn at...I don't know what's involved in repointing the sethealingplace table, but it shouldn't be major. JPANs engine substitutes sethealingplace with the use of variables, so you might want to look into his coding.

Additionally, the scripts that are run when the player respawns are at 0x1A8D97 and 0x1A8DD8 for Pokemon Center and Mom, respectively.

I'm currently using this tutorial to expand my attack table so I can include some Gen 4/5 moves: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=263479

It says it can be done with Ruby, but since it's done with FireRed in mind, I don't know the offset for the attack table or anything else, and therefore, can't do anything it's asking me to do. Is there a list of Ruby's offsets for the attack table, the attack names, and stuff like that? Google is not being my friend here. :/

It seems that the table of names are at 0x1F832D, while the data is at 0x1FB12C

Last edited:
Years

for future reference, check a tool's ini... it usually has relevant offsets there :) (use pge's, its got all the main offsets)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back