• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Things only writers would notice.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • As someone who is writing a character who is observant and doesn't speak often, I take note of character's body language and even the speed of words being spoken.

As a writer, I feel like that's something only I would probably notice, and people who don't write wouldn't care to pay attention to that.

But, as a writer, I study body language and linguistic words speed since I've started noticing that not all characters in fiction speak at the same speed. (But, I'm probably the only writer who actually has a word speed dialogue tag, but anyway).

What are some things you feel like only writers like us would notice in fiction?

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I am actually extremely interested in this as I've begun work on telling the origins of a cosmic entity that does not emote, does not talk, and uses all gesturing as a form of locomotion. There is no tangible way this creature can communicate besides one instance of having illuminated a cluster of radio-galaxies.

And I have no idea how to bring life into this character... or even any thing into this character... beyond the scope of an "anomalous subject" being witnessed by other people. Would love to hear how I can take such a static creature and turn it into something greater than the sum of its parts.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm struggling to think of specific examples right now but I find it almost impossible to switch off and just enjoy media the deeper I get into writing. Every show/movie/comic/book I consume is done so with half my brain trying to just enjoy it and the other half critically deconstructing and analysing every writing choice. It's made me a better writer but damn do I wish I could turn that off and just vibe sometimes.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I'm struggling to think of specific examples right now but I find it almost impossible to switch off and just enjoy media the deeper I get into writing. Every show/movie/comic/book I consume is done so with half my brain trying to just enjoy it and the other half critically deconstructing and analysing every writing choice. It's made me a better writer but damn do I wish I could turn that off and just vibe sometimes.

I wish I could say the same, but I have yet to find a character that has similarities to mine (not that I'm the first person to invent a character that doesn't auditorily or visually communicate in a human way), but references feel few and far between. Again, I find myself cycling back to this observer role that is writing more writing an article on an SCP than developing characterization.

But maybe it could just be writers block or me not thinking outside of the box enough. Either way, veteran writers, help. ;o;

Years
  • I wish I could say the same, but I have yet to find a character that has similarities to mine (not that I'm the first person to invent a character that doesn't auditorily or visually communicate in a human way), but references feel few and far between. Again, I find myself cycling back to this observer role that is writing more writing an article on an SCP than developing characterization.

But maybe it could just be writers block or me not thinking outside of the box enough. Either way, veteran writers, help. ;o;

I think you should, as a starting point, really figure out how this entity experiences the world itself because that will dictate much of how it interacts with it.

Back