• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What Pokemon are on Gold's Team?

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2021
    We all know Red has Pikachu, Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Snorlax and Lapras (maybe Espeon, eh?) and Blue has Pidgeot, Alakazam, Rhydon, Gyarados, Exeggutor and Arcanine.

Silver would have to have Sneasel, Magneton, Gengar, Crobat, and Alakazam (with a missing spot if Gold uses the Red formula of having all the starters.)

What would Gold's team be?

Meganium
    Typhlosion
    Fealigatr
    Possibly Sudawoodo, since it's kind of an equivalent of Snorlax in Silver and Gold?
    Maybe Scizor since he could have won the bug catching contest and it's a Steel type.
    For the last spot I'd say Umbreon since friendship is introduced this gen and so is Dark type.

What do you all think?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I disagree with Gold having three starters. Red gets the three starters through the story in Pokemon Yellow. Nobody in gen 2 story gives away the starters.

It's mostly assumed Cyndaquil is the "canon" starter, because it's what was chosen in the manga.

I agree with Sudowoodo, because of the in game event.

Togetic, because he gets the egg from Elm.

Red Gyarados, because in game event

Dragonite, because it's given in game (Crystal Version)

Then the last, Idk, maybe Umbreon.

So I assume

Typhlosion
    Togetic
    Gyarados
    Sudowoodo
    Dragonite
    Umbreon

withheld

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2018
    You know, i'd have loved it if Red had Pikachu, the 3 legendary birds, Mewtwo and Mew.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Cal has all three, though. He's supposed to be like Gold.

Sudowoodo, no.

Gyarados instead imo, played a large role in the story.
    Gold would have an Espeon instead imo, due to Espeon being the good one & Gold being the good one.

You know, i'd have loved it if Red had Pikachu, the 3 legendary birds, Mewtwo and Mew.

Gold or Red? This is about Gold only :)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Cal shares the same sprite as Gold, but I don't think they meant for any similarities. The starters are only filler until someone with Mystery Gift replaces the team, and they gave him a unique design in the other games.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Possible members:

Chikorita

Totodile

Cyndaquil, there's no canon info, but most of Gold's other versions have a Cyndaquil so this one is the most likely

Togepi because it's given to the player as an egg and presumably Gold raised it into a Togetic/Togekiss, and unlike me, didn't dump the egg into a computer

Sudowoodo because it's a mandatory encounter like Red's Snorlax

Eevee because Bill gave it to Gold, and presumably it evolved into Espeon or Umbreon. Maybe Umbreon because Red has an Espeon in GSC

Red Gyarados another mandatory encounter.

The ExtremeSpeed Dratini but it's not mandatory so this one is not as likely

The Tyrogue from Mt. Mortar but's it's not mandatory either

Less likely:

The Spearow named Kenya from Webster because it's nicknamed makes it unlikely

Shuckle from Cianwood pokemaniac Kirk, though Silver taking Sneasel is canon, Gold taking Shuckle and using it is not likely cause it's nicknamed Shuckie

Odd egg pokemon

Primo trades in HGSS

Near impossible:

The Kanto starters from Oak

The Hoenn starters from Steven Stone

What I think:

- Typhlosion

- Togetic/Togekiss

- Sudowoodo

- Espeon/Umbreon it's 50/50

- Red Gyarados

- Dragonite

Or maybe if Gold/Ethan is made a NPC in the games, GF would pull a Red and give him all the starters

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Kris (because screw Gold, Gen 2's hero is a girl) always has this team whenever I write about her:

Feraligatr
    Togekiss
    Gengar
    Jolteon
    Dragonite
    Houndoom

Totodile is her canon starter, and nobody will ever convince me otherwise. It goes the best with her color scheme (just as Typhlosion fits Gold's color scheme), and it's just a great Pokémon overall.

(And, I personally think Silver's story is strengthened when he ends up with Chikorita. What happens when someone who's all about power and hating the "weak" has the weakest starter ever?)

Togekiss (not available in GSC, I know) would be the Mystery Egg, Dragonite, the Extremespeed Dratini, and Jolteon, Bill's Eevee. I went with Jolteon over a Gen 2 Eeveelution because a) Electric offers better type coverage than Psychic/Dark, b) the evolutionary stones are more readily available in Crystal than GS, and c) Espeon/Umbreon are already associated with Red and Gary, respectively.

GSC are lacking in great giftmons (IMO), so I just throw in Gengar and Houndoom to fill in the other two spaces. Gastly is one of the first really useful Pokémon you can catch in the wild (available as early as Sprout Tower), so it's something I always use in Gen 2 playthroughs, while Houndoom is simply a Pokémon I love and always try to train up, despite how late in the game it appears.

Last edited:
    Back