• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red, Green, Blue ~ The Gen 1 Club

Mew

The New Species Pokémon
Years
holy heck I've been absent, time to reboot this thing
pokemon_red_by_novanim-d3hxz1t.jpg

art by Novanim

Welcome to the new Generation 1 Fan Club!

This club is for all things Kanto! Whether it's your nostaligia-filled adventures sitting through long car rides staring at the spinach brick that is the original Game Boy and the Red version of Pokémon, or trying to turn your Advance's screen just the right way to see while your friend was sitting there with his frontlit SP, you're all welcome here!

Signup Sheet
Username:
Favorite Kanto Pokémon:
Topic answer:

Current Topic
What's your least favorite Kanto Pokémon? Why do you dislike it?

Older Topics
Spoiler:

And here's a list of Gen 1 Pokémon!

Members
Mew (owner) - Mew
Wicked3DS - Charizard
Olli - Pidgey
Espeon Master - Ivysaur
Venitardus - Nidoking

Last edited:

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
Username: Wicked3DS
Favorite Kanto Pokémon: Charizard
Topic answer: I inherited a copy of Red from my cousins when they showed me the game, which is how I got into Pokémon in the first place. On a side note, Yellow was my favorite of the Gen I games because of using all the starters. Still wish I had that one :(

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Yay, it's back :D

Username: Olli
Favorite Kanto Pokémon: Pidgey

Which version of the original games did you have? Why did you choose that one? Is there another one you would have preferred?

I shared the Blue version with my brother. I honestly have no idea when we got it, but I'd probably assume my brother got it in either a birthday or Christmas present, since I was too young at the time to really play video games :p Eventually I did get to try it out myself though, but there wasn't much progress involved, considering I knew nothing about the mechanics of the game, as I could neither read, nor could either of us understand English. But somehow I did manage to eventually make my way through the game, though I still wasn't completely aware of how the typing system worked (for the longest time I had no idea that Grass was strong against Rock and Ground types), and I didn't really get familiar with many of the moves.

The Yellow version always fascinated me, since, as I was a fan of the anime at the time, the concept of being able to interact with your very own Pikachu was just really appealing to me. I discovered it through some boy in my school who had it, but unfortunately I never got to own a version myself. But other than that, I didn't see enough difference between Red and Blue to really want Red in any way, so Yellow was the only thing I ever really wanted.

Years
Username: Espeon Master
Favorite Kanto Pokémon: Ivysaur! (All the Bulbasaur line really)

Which version of the original games did you have? Why did you choose that one? Is there another one you would have preferred?
Blue version! At the time Squirtle was my favorite Pokémon (my first starter!) so it made sense for me to pick this one. I'd still pick blue version if I had to do it again- no real reason not to.

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
Username: Venitardus
Favorite Kanto Pokémon: that's a really hard one for me.. Uhmm. Id have to day Nidoking.
Topic answer: I originally got red because, at the time, me and my brothers were all into Pokémon. They both got blue and I got red because I wanted to be different and I liked the design of charizard better then Blastoise on the cover at the time.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Username: Peitharchia.
Favorite Kanto Pokémon: Vulpix, definitely. Been a fan ever since I had first seen it, and still am!

I wound up getting Blue version. I've always wanted to get my hands on either Red or Blue, and since I wasn't allowed much money as a child, I had no way of buying it myself, so I asked my dad if he could possibly buy it for me some day, which he responded with "I'll see." Then, when it was Christmas time, I got few presents from my parents, one of which was Pokémon Blue version. Started playing as soon as I unwrapped, and loved each and every moment; it was all very fun! If I were given some chance to go back in time and experience that again, I would definitely accept.

Got Red version eventually, too, but that was years later.

I'm not sure if there's any Kanto Pokémon I actually dislike. As far as sprites are concerned, though, I'm not such a huge fan of Golbat's, as it looks sort of... intimidating. Haha. Was fond of Charizard's, but only thing I didn't like was its belly, which seemed sort of extended to me.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 22, 2022
Username: epicassassin1811

Favorite Kanto Pokemon: Magikarp. It is the epitome of Pokémon. XD

Zubat! I remember going through Mt. Moon for the first time, with all of the Zubats attacking me every 3 steps.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years

I'm with Peitharchia here, that I can't really think of any Kanto Pokemon that I specifically dislike. Design-wise, I feel like they're all of pretty decent quality. The sprites in the originals may have been horrendous for the most part, but they've all been updated since then to look acceptable haha. But if I were to pick someone, I'd probably have to go with any Pokemon that learns Selfdestruct naturally. Because, if they know the move, they won't be afraid to go all martyr on you, and it's ended in me losing Pokemon so often when it really shouldn't have been that big of a challenge. I reckon the main culprit here would be Voltorb/Electrode, but I believe Pokemon like Graveler also learns it, so they're not the only ones I dislike for it. That's why I've always hated going through the Power Plant to catch Zapdos, since for whatever reason, the escape rate seems to really low for their levels, so it's always impossible to escape. And then they just blow up on you, chunking down the Pokemon I'd otherwise tried to keep healthy for the battle with Zapdos. >:(

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years

I can't come up with anything that sticks out, I've learned to like pretty much all of them. I'm not the biggest fan of Lickitung because it's kind of weird, but it's kinda funny so it can stay.

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
Years
Username: VeranithasVi
Favorite Kanto Pokémon: Haunter
Topic Answer: I can't say that I'm the biggest fan of Jynx. It just creeps me out... Always has.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 2, 2020
Username: Velveteenwolf
Favorite Kanto Pokémon: Pikachu! I just love electric pokemon and pikachu was my first pokemon since yellow was my first game.
Topic answer: What's your least favorite Kanto Pokémon? Why do you dislike it?

I don't really have a least favorite, I grew to love all 151 original. If I had to pick one it would be Jinx. She kinda scared me.

I got Pokemon Yellow as a surprise birthday present along with a brand new teal gameboy color. I knew we did not have a lot of money at the time, so it really meant a lot to me. I would not have wanted any other one, especially since pikachu followed you around and you can get all three starters. I still have that gameboy but yellow had to be replaced. Now own all color and metal pokemon games.

Miah

╮( ^ ∇ ^")╭
Years
Ooooh!
A club about Gen. 1!

Username: Dots
Favorite Kanto Pokémon: Chansey
Topic answer: What's your least favorite Kanto Pokémon?

I don't really have any dislikes about Gen. 1 Pokémon. The first Gen. 1 game I played was Pokémon Yellow. I didn't know much about these games when I was young. Now, since I'm older, I know more about the games. I play all the Gen. 1 games. I mostly play my Pokémon Yellow. But since VisualBoyAdvance can also make GB graphics with colors by changing the graphics into Super Game Boy option. I can play Red, Green and Blue in color.

Back