• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] hello i can art rly gud!! :]

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
Years
After a year, I am back! Five years have passed and I think I've improved on my art immensely. At least, I've learned a lot about anatomy, line art, and volume.

Sprites:
9gX3g4S.png
ADlyEkQ.png
fjKaIv8.png
tXskbiq.png
5FphWJd.png
QUfrMQt.png
scraftyhd2dkindof.png
YN8oDIu.png
7xvAvFf.png
k6wMiC4.png

Spoiler: DERPmons!
derpdreigon_by_fafrir_dbyrlha-pre.jpg
kommo_derp_by_fafrir_dc6hu1w-pre.jpg
derpchomp_by_fafrir_dc9anog-pre.jpg
saladerp_by_fafrir_dc6kc18-pre.jpg
derpgross_by_fafrir_ddi9exi-pre.jpg

Spoiler: Avatars
deadly_nadder.png
seasaur.png
scrafty_icon.png
pura.png

big_boi.png
spitzfire_icon.png

Spoiler: Drawings from Drawception's Sandbox
drawception-1570521775.png
drawception-1569542036.png
threecolourdragon.png

seadragonthing.png
scurfty_road.png
capehuntingdog.png
drawception-1570572887.png

Spoiler: OLD OP AND OLD ART IS OLD
Ahoy there PC! I am a fourth year university student majoring in Studio Art and art has been a passion of mine since I was a child. I love working with any material; Conte, pencil, acrylic paint, soft pastel, etc. so I guess you could say I'm a mixed media artist.
Anywho, my stuff:

Pixel art:
greninja_devamp_by_bluehoundoom-d7f5mq3.png
AfByOgZ.png
w2Kb77k.png
nwSQGzS.png
jqpleaw.png
a5MOYkN.png

Sig (well, one for now in this style):
lVEhE9g.png

Drawings:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I will add more but I'll need to scan them. So yeah, enjoy and I love cnc since I do want to improve~

Last edited:

JustJeff

Striving for Rank #1
Years
I'm not really a fan of pixel art but I really like the 1st and 2nd of your drawings~
Keep up the good work on them~ I would love to see more of them~ :)

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2024
You're off to a good start (and please don't stop!), but I'm going to be honest and say a lot of these seem a bit amorphous. If you're going for abstraction that's one thing (and the Mienfoo has a rather pleasing graphic boldness to it), but as someone with an art degree, I'm surprised that for being that far into an art college they haven't drilled the idea of volumes and form in space into you. The Scrafty on the third post does demonstrate some of that, though. Personally I think it's the best out of these. I hope I haven't sounded mean or anything! Do keep it up! :3

faf

Years
You're off to a good start (and please don't stop!), but I'm going to be honest and say a lot of these seem a bit amorphous. If you're going for abstraction that's one thing (and the Mienfoo has a rather pleasing graphic boldness to it), but as someone with an art degree, I'm surprised that for being that far into an art college they haven't drilled the idea of volumes and form in space into you. The Scrafty on the third post does demonstrate some of that, though. Personally I think it's the best out of these. I hope I haven't sounded mean or anything! Do keep it up! :3
Nah, it's fine; I do appreciate CnC like this! :) I am currently studying backgrounds at the moment and I wish to implement them more into my drawings (if that's what you are getting at). I tend to only draw the subject since I'm more interested in that over backgrounds. Also, my current drawing prof isn't helpful; she's kind of teaching us abstraction (at least that's how I view it) but that's something I don't want to go for. I will certainly keeps your words in mind and improve more~ And I'm glad you love the Scrafty! It's my favourite Pokemon and I do my best to make it perfect~ Thanks for the CnC! :D

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2024
Ah, well that might explain a bit. Though I do agree backgrounds and composition would be helpful, what I meant was construction of the Pokemon themselves - imagining them as volumes rather than areas of color or contours.

Pokemon are stylized fantasy creatures, but they still have grounding in anatomical forms and obey the laws of structure, which makes them believable. Quite a lot of the work involved in improving art involves training the eye to observe things and how they work, like different lighting conditions or how arms are attached to a torso or how different postures affect the feeling something is conveying. The better you get at observing, the better you are able to use those things to control your art and evoke what you want with it.

Hope that helps clarify things!

Reactions: faf
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
The Scrafty pixel art is really, really awesome! The texture and patterns you created to adjust the tonnage of the piece is spectacular. It adds just the right amount of depth and dither but doesn't subtract from the visual cue my eyes are supposed to pick up on; as in certain parts of Scrafty are the same shade, without blending into one another. That is something I really like.

My advice is that you play with darker tones in your pixel art. Since you're working in such static colors. Darken up some of the pixels where there's meant to be shading, and don't be afraid to add the depth it needs! There's never any harm in experimenting. :)

Good luck to you!

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
Years
I really love the Noivern sketch-type art in your second post and the Pumpkaboo in your most recent. They're all good, don't get me wrong, your experience really shows is almost all of your artwork. The Noivern and Pumkaboo just stand out to me. Think it might be the colouring on the Noivern piece, and the shading, and just the overall feel of the Pumpkaboo piece. Plus I love Pumpkaboo.

Keep up the great work! I wish you luck. :)

faf

Years
Thanks for the critiques all and I do apologize if I've replied almost a month late, oops. x.x
Anywho, a Mega Mence sprite I'm working on:
vUdSgsn.png

It just looks really derpy and the wings are unnatural. The belly outline isn't finished but I will definitely finish it. Critiques will be helpful!

And more sprites:
HU1Rthr.png
KsQvTxk.png
t8FiBlx.png

Some Art Academy stuff (top two were Secret Santas):
Spoiler:

A triptych painting I'm currently working on:
Spoiler:

And traditional drawings:
Spoiler:

faf

Years
'sup! Yes, I do have a scanner but decided to take pictures instead because EFFORT. So then, here's some pics for my Pokedex thing:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

This is too big for the scanner, lol:
Spoiler:

And a redraw:
Spoiler: OLD
2494_1103184293600_2342142_n.jpg

Spoiler: NEW
62670_10204748301961191_3282196102024777637_n.jpg

faf

Years
Time for an updoot!
To celebrate me almost done fifth year art, here's some stuff I did (I'll add more, if I do I'll edit it):
Spoiler: Prints (most are from the book of Revelations)
OjSmqFT.jpg

5WfLJr9.jpg

oV9DUEC.jpg

T8DMsHO.jpg

Spoiler: Paintings
HXzRgPk.jpg

tKpxEK9.jpg

Spoiler: Painting that's still a W.I.P.
ZDER9E1.jpg

killer-curry

Oro.........?
Years
I admit that, the arts are really great!

I am not a person who has lots of knowledge about art but they are special! I cannot describe it well, they are really look alive.

Besides, the sprites are quite well done and I think you have put a great effort to do these. Thumbs up!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 25, 2016
Much art. such good. Reminds me of my pixel art days, good times. Your art looks great, man! Keep it up!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Oh wow, you weren't kidding! Your latest work looks great and you've most definitely improved over time! I especially like your gen 2 style mons. They look extremely authentic to the games.mid love to see more of those from you! :)

faf

Years
I should probably update this more often. Speaking of updates:
Spoiler: DERPmons starring Tyranitar and Goodra!
tyraniderp_by_fafrir_ddib3dl-pre.jpg

gooderp_by_fafrir_ddjjx1k-pre.jpg

Spoiler: lizards
lizards.png

Spoiler: Eternatus
eternatus.png

Spoiler: Wolf creature using Drawception's newest palette
green_wolf.png

Spoiler: new Pokemon sprites
inteleon.png
dragapult.png
grimmsnarl.png
toxtricity.png
toxtricity_low_key.png

faf

Years
hi, more arts. :]
Spoiler: low quality tho
20200703_201053-1.jpg

Spoiler: because yes
for_marriprom_art_completed_version.png

Spoiler: dragon quest plus pokemon dump
Great_Argon_Lizard_the_GMax_Toxtricity.png

Rashaverak_the_Dragapult.png

Sham_Hatwitch_the_Mamoswine.png

Argon_Lizard_the_Salazzle.png

AU-1000_the_shiny_Silvally.png

Appletun_and_the_Slime.png

Kandar_the_Scrafty.png

Knight_Aberrant_the_Escavalier.png

Elysium_Bird_the_Aromatisse.png

Winky_the_Sigilyph.png

Spoiler: flair
contest_flair.png

i had a tv so the resolution was more zoomed in, once i got a monitor the flair sadly doesn't fit. time for a new flair!

Spoiler: and a sprite, aka something i should do more of
egrilliuspregapp.png

Back