• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Pokémon Gen III Rom Hacking Suite

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Haha, well I was thinking of something similar to the Attack editor in PGE. Although that basically only chooses from a set of ready-made effects ~_~

What if I want Intimidate to lower defense instead of attack, for example? Or what if I want an ability that combines two abilities (like insomnia and water veil)? Would that still require ASM hacking?

Attacks != Abilities in any way shape or form. As far as I have seen, each ability is hard coded as its own function or at least has its own starting routine. The only table is one that points to these routines. Attacks are run off of a table that controls the stats and effects. In fact, Attacks have a far closer structure to Pokemon than they do abilities (and that is why they will also be the next main tab in G3HS.:P) So yeah, it doesn't work anywhere near the way you think it does. I honestly don't have much experience hacking abilities, but it you want to know more in depth about it, contact MrDollSteak. He is very good at them.

Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
Okay, silly question time: The filenames for the zip files to download say stuff like 'English.Encoding'. If it had 'English' in the filename, is that the file for English speakers like me? For some reason, it causes doubts in my mind (maybe I should increase my caffeine intake!).

Also, I am currently using Windows 7 Starter. Are any users of this suite aware of any issues that may wreck using this program?

karatekid552

Years
Okay, silly question time: The filenames for the zip files to download say stuff like 'English.Encoding'. If it had 'English' in the filename, is that the file for English speakers like me? For some reason, it causes doubts in my mind (maybe I should increase my caffeine intake!).

Also, I am currently using Windows 7 Starter. Are any users of this suite aware of any issues that may wreck using this program?

My program is safe, trust me. If it wasn't, wouldn't my computer be infested with issues?:P I have had over 3000 downloads with no reported security issues. If anyone finds one, please let me know. I am still relatively new to coding and I make mistakes.

Now, encoding is NOT the same as language. Encoding is a byte scheme that sets the character map to be used by the program. On Chinese computers, the encoding requires multiple bytes per character whereas on English (and other latin/germanic based languages) computers, the encoding only uses one byte per character for the standard set. This led to many errors to the users of Chinese computers and prompted me to make a special version for it. (Well, I asked a friend to compile a special version.:)) So both versions are in English, they just use different schemes to display it.

Can this be used for scripting? Would you create a tab for XSE or MEH will cover it?

Shinyquagsire is working on a script editor called SEA that is to work alongside MEH. When he and I are done, you will only need three tools to do 99% of hacking.:D

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
Do you know a tool that you can change the characters (letters) with?

Akiak

dreamin'
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
Attacks != Abilities in any way shape or form. As far as I have seen, each ability is hard coded as its own function or at least has its own starting routine. The only table is one that points to these routines. Attacks are run off of a table that controls the stats and effects. In fact, Attacks have a far closer structure to Pokemon than they do abilities (and that is why they will also be the next main tab in G3HS.:P) So yeah, it doesn't work anywhere near the way you think it does. I honestly don't have much experience hacking abilities, but it you want to know more in depth about it, contact MrDollSteak. He is very good at them.

Ah, I see, thanks for clarifying.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
Well, I'm making a tranlation of fire red and need to have Å, Ä and Ö. You seem to be able to do this in the text via Hex editing, but I don't see a way to add them to pokémon names thus I asked if you knew any program that could do this.

karatekid552

Years
Well, I'm making a tranlation of fire red and need to have Å, Ä and Ö. You seem to be able to do this in the text via Hex editing, but I don't see a way to add them to pokémon names thus I asked if you knew any program that could do this.

Those characters, as far as I have been told, are not available.

This is the encoding chart I use in G3HS. It is formatted as a python list for very easy access. It contains every known character that I have been made aware of that is available in game. If the character does not appear on this chart, it is skipped. If you do find that there is a hex byte for them, I will gladly add it in.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
So I write Ä like "\\xF1" or "\\xF4" and Ö like "\\xF2" or "\\xF5"?

karatekid552

Years
So I write Ä like "\\xF1" or "\\xF4" and Ö like "\\xF2" or "\\xF5"?

No, it should accept them right off the bat (sorry, I didn't realize they were on the list). F1 and such are their hex values in game. You should be able to just copy and paste them. I just (like right now) tested Ä by pasting it in and it works just fine. However I am also on Ubuntu Linux, so that may have something to do with it even though it is the exact same code running on both.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
According to the windows 7 version they are not accepted. Sadly I don't have access to that computer so I can't give you the error message...

karatekid552

Years
According to the windows 7 version they are not accepted. Sadly I don't have access to that computer so I can't give you the error message...

I will try to get access to a Window's 7 computer today and test it out. There shouldn't be an issue since it is the same code and I switched everything over to unicode, but I'll check it out.

Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2023
I came over a problems, two problems actually when using this toolkit:

At first I don't seem to be able to open it on my computer, it opens a new window, does not load an interface and does not react until I forcekill the process, no error message, windows 7 64bit, I even installed the new Python version.

Second, a friend of mine is able to open the tool, but with a modified ini file for our hack most graphic related things won't work anymore(front-/backsprites, footprints, etc.)
Those are all located past the 16MB mark of the ROM, the table front/animation sprite table for example has the following entry: 3803B009, the tool however loads it as if there was 3803B008(which by the way is the original offset of the sprite anyways)

Here are some screenshots:
Spoiler:

And the ini file we are using(The offsets are correct however):
Spoiler:

I suspect it loading the pointers somehow wrongly, as if they were shifted 16MB backwards, but thats just an assumption of course. I hope you are able to fix this because your tool is awesome and we would really like to use it(Troubleshooting in terms of my strange crash would also be nice)

~SBird

karatekid552

Years
I came over a problems, two problems actually when using this toolkit:

At first I don't seem to be able to open it on my computer, it opens a new window, does not load an interface and does not react until I forcekill the process, no error message, windows 7 64bit, I even installed the new Python version.

Second, a friend of mine is able to open the tool, but with a modified ini file for our hack most graphic related things won't work anymore(front-/backsprites, footprints, etc.)
Those are all located past the 16MB mark of the ROM, the table front/animation sprite table for example has the following entry: 3803B009, the tool however loads it as if there was 3803B008(which by the way is the original offset of the sprite anyways)

Here are some screenshots:
Spoiler:

And the ini file we are using(The offsets are correct however):
Spoiler:

I suspect it loading the pointers somehow wrongly, as if they were shifted 16MB backwards, but thats just an assumption of course. I hope you are able to fix this because your tool is awesome and we would really like to use it(Troubleshooting in terms of my strange crash would also be nice)

~SBird

Issue 1: Why would installing python help at all? First of all, this was built using Python 2.7. Python 3 (I am assuming you have 3.3 as that is the latest) is not compatible because of syntax changes. So the latest version wouldn't help. Second, the Python interpreter is built into the exe itself. It does not use the system Python, because there is no guarantee that it will exist. Now, I have run this flawlessly on 64bit Windows 7 Systems. Is your antivirus catching and preventing anything? It does GitHub server checks at start-up and it may be causing issues even though I wrapped those whole functions in try blocks. I'm thinking it might be putting it in a loop that won't end.

Issue 2: Failure to comprehend the ini system that is well documented. I don't need to see your base ini classes, I need to see the ones tagged with a number. Those are the only ones that are used. The original ones are only used when first loading the rom and are copied out into a new section that has a number matching the one found at 0xFFFFFE

Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2023
Issue 1: Why would installing python help at all? First of all, this was built using Python 2.7. Python 3 (I am assuming you have 3.3 as that is the latest) is not compatible because of syntax changes. So the latest version wouldn't help. Second, the Python interpreter is built into the exe itself. It does not use the system Python, because there is no guarantee that it will exist. Now, I have run this flawlessly on 64bit Windows 7 Systems. Is your antivirus catching and preventing anything? It does GitHub server checks at start-up and it may be causing issues even though I wrapped those whole functions in try blocks. I'm thinking it might be putting it in a loop that won't end.

Issue 2: Failure to comprehend the ini system that is well documented. I don't need to see your base ini classes, I need to see the ones tagged with a number. Those are the only ones that are used. The original ones are only used when first loading the rom and are copied out into a new section that has a number matching the one found at 0xFFFFFE

Issue 1: Well I am not familiar with python, so I just thought if this was built using python, it might as well help to have python installed, if it doesn't, well it was worth a try. I'll check my firewall and will force_allow the program for once to see if thats a problem...

Issue 2: We do use "justusestandardini = True", just because we thought this might cause problems after it did not work the first time we tried it with the second rom ini section. So those are definitely the offsets that should be used, there is no other section in the file.

~SBird

karatekid552

Years
Issue 1: Well I am not familiar with python, so I just thought if this was built using python, it might as well help to have python installed, if it doesn't, well it was worth a try. I'll check my firewall and will force_allow the program for once to see if thats a problem...

Issue 2: We do use "justusestandardini = True", just because we thought this might cause problems after it did not work the first time we tried it with the second rom ini section. So those are definitely the offsets that should be used, there is no other section in the file.

~SBird

1) Always familiarize yourself with what you are working with before you start installing things. It will save A LOT of headaches and time.

2) Okay, in that case it should have worked. PM me your rom and ini?

Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2023
You recieved a package from me ;)

I did by the way authorize the program in my firewall(I have no idea why it was blocked, it self regulates new programs) and that worked, so for anyone having the issue of starting an empty window, thats your way to go. I would pop out an error message if that happens though because it really is confusing. ;)

~SBird

juzzRizard

Pokemon Collector
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
why cant i download this??
it's always - "no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

karatekid552

Years
You recieved a package from me ;)

I did by the way authorize the program in my firewall(I have no idea why it was blocked, it self regulates new programs) and that worked, so for anyone having the issue of starting an empty window, thats your way to go. I would pop out an error message if that happens though because it really is confusing. ;)

~SBird

The issue here is I have no networking experience. In terms of coding, I wrapped the entire connection part in a try block that auto-skips it if an error is raised. I thought that a failed network connection would raise an error, but unfortunately it seems to put it in an infinite loop. I will look into this.

why cant i download this??
it's always - "no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

GitHub is blocking your download? That is weird. If you scroll up, a nice person put up a dropbox link. Try that. Unlike certain developers, I actually like it when people help me out.

Edit: I think that link is on the PHO thread. If you go to the last page of this same thread on Pokemon Hackers Online, that link should be there. I think Pia Carrot posted it. I would go get it, but I am a little busy with other stuff.

Back