• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Pokémon Gen III Rom Hacking Suite

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
  • KarateKid,

In this thread, http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=321951&page=2, Chaos Rush and SBirds seem to have come up with a way of expanding the Pokedex in BPEE. Do you think it would be possible to implement that routine into the hacking suite similar to what has been done to Fire Red?

Anyways, great tool. Definitely the best when using expanded movetables etc.

Chaos and I have already been personally chatting about this. When he perfects it, I will code it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2014
    Great stuff! I will definately need this. Basing a lot around ghost-type pokemon I will need to expand the pokedex eventually. Thanks!

Mr.Mako

Resident Edgelord Troll
    Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2023
    This is a great tool. Now if only Advanced Map and other tools supported an expanded pokedex. I will say I keep having issues when I replace the standard sprites with the ones from Chaos Rush's 64*64 resource. It keeps saying something about being unable to decompress the image and it was ok at first since it was just Charizard and Jigglypuff as I don't use Jigglypuff and there are alternatives to Charizard, but after I did a little wild pokemon editing in Advance Map (ya know wild legendaries, though Mew sucks since it doesn't listen) and the next thing I knew it wouldn't show images of any sprite other than 3rd gen (since i hadn't replaced those due to Chaos Rush not having finished that set). I figured it was just the program, but upon running the game and getting into a battle it crashed. On top of that this thing wont register the Fairy type I added, despite having followed the tutorial to the letter. Hopefully that will be fixed along with the other problems I stated.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2016
    I apologize in case you have already answered this question
    But now that I have expanded the pokedex what method/tool would you suggest for adding these new pokemon into the wild?

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2015
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=324867
    Just so you guys know, I'm, not promoting this thread by any means. I saw a couple of people asking how to add the new pokemon in the wild, so I posted it here. If it is a problem, Sir karatekid552 can delete this post! But it may help those wondering how to add the new pokemon in the wild! But for the record, the tutorial section always helps with stuff like this. It was bound to come up eventually!

Edit: As to not double post, I'm posting my message onto my edited post! Chaos Rush's thread is finally up on the emerald pokedex expansion! karatekid552, does that mean you'll be implementing this? If so, I am sooo excited, you won't believe! Emerald is just an overall great rom to hack, and getting this for it would be absolutely amazing! No rush, though!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2019
    If you're planning for this, MEH and SEA to be the only three tools needed for hacking these games does that mean you're planning to add an overworld editor (and an overworld expander?), a tilemap editor, a music editor etc.

I do want to say that you've done an incredible job so far and this has made me want to get back into hacking/modding again and I look forward to progress and future updates on this.

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years
  • This is a great tool. Now if only Advanced Map and other tools supported an expanded pokedex. I will say I keep having issues when I replace the standard sprites with the ones from Chaos Rush's 64*64 resource. It keeps saying something about being unable to decompress the image and it was ok at first since it was just Charizard and Jigglypuff as I don't use Jigglypuff and there are alternatives to Charizard, but after I did a little wild pokemon editing in Advance Map (ya know wild legendaries, though Mew sucks since it doesn't listen) and the next thing I knew it wouldn't show images of any sprite other than 3rd gen (since i hadn't replaced those due to Chaos Rush not having finished that set). I figured it was just the program, but upon running the game and getting into a battle it crashed. On top of that this thing wont register the Fairy type I added, despite having followed the tutorial to the letter. Hopefully that will be fixed along with the other problems I stated.

I'm still trying to discover why sometimes sprites fail to decompress. All of my testers cannot find a way to replicate it consistently, which is making the bug incessantly hard to track down. We will keep looking though.

I apologize in case you have already answered this question
    But now that I have expanded the pokedex what method/tool would you suggest for adding these new pokemon into the wild?

2012maniac was kind enough to provide a nice link for you.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=324867
    Just so you guys know, I'm, not promoting this thread by any means. I saw a couple of people asking how to add the new pokemon in the wild, so I posted it here. If it is a problem, Sir karatekid552 can delete this post! But it may help those wondering how to add the new pokemon in the wild! But for the record, the tutorial section always helps with stuff like this. It was bound to come up eventually!

Edit: As to not double post, I'm posting my message onto my edited post! Chaos Rush's thread is finally up on the emerald pokedex expansion! karatekid552, does that mean you'll be implementing this? If so, I am sooo excited, you won't believe! Emerald is just an overall great rom to hack, and getting this for it would be absolutely amazing! No rush, though!

As soon as Chaos' method is perfected and completely finished, I will. As of right now, I think he told me he hadn't done the stuff that is non-dex related, but I could be wrong. The Pokedex expansion was by far the hardest compared with the other stuff.

If you're planning for this, MEH and SEA to be the only three tools needed for hacking these games does that mean you're planning to add an overworld editor (and an overworld expander?), a tilemap editor, a music editor etc.

I do want to say that you've done an incredible job so far and this has made me want to get back into hacking/modding again and I look forward to progress and future updates on this.

Maybe I am, maybe I'm not, but I can say that I am nowhere near done with this tool.:P

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2019
    Apart from the fact this tool is amazing, I can't use this because I expanded my dex manually... And no matter all the right offsets I put in your ini. file I still get the evolution table pointer is not loading correctly.

I really only need this tool to make my hacking easier (especially with typing the movepools!) and the eeveelutions. But I know I'm probably the only one who hasn't used the tool, any tips?

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2018
    If you want to import the sprites without issues try A-Pokemon Sprite Editor and set up the ini with the offsets of the fronsprite, backsprite, shinysprite, playerY, enemyY I think is what the area for the enemy's position is, Altitude, species names, and the rest of the things A-Pokemon Sprite Editor plus increase the number of pokemon in total, and go over in the number of pokemon by one to show the last pokemon slot.

Whitney's Shaymin

Creator Of Pokemon Grace
    Years
  • So I tried adding more pokemon to a rom that already added a extra and now it seems it not work yet I can incorporate 500 new mons in a different rom... Wtf...

EDIT: I figured out the main problem with the sprite decompress, for some reason some of the offsets given are used...

EDIT2: Why is this so hard to do, cannot figure this out!!

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years
  • So I tried adding more pokemon to a rom that already added a extra and now it seems it not work yet I can incorporate 500 new mons in a different rom... Wtf...

EDIT: I figured out the main problem with the sprite decompress, for some reason some of the offsets given are used...

EDIT2: Why is this so hard to do, cannot figure this out!!

Do NOT double expand lol. I made some poor coding choices in order to make sure that Unowns lined up properly, so it will have issues with that. If you need to expand again, you will have to do it manually. I plan on adding a check that prevents this in later updates.

0.0 If the pointers are the same, and you fill with free space, it WILL have issues. I just had a great idea though! On a repoint, I will search the entire rom for pointers that match the old offset. If one is found, it will ask you what you want to do.

Apart from the fact this tool is amazing, I can't use this because I expanded my dex manually... And no matter all the right offsets I put in your ini. file I still get the evolution table pointer is not loading correctly.

I really only need this tool to make my hacking easier (especially with typing the movepools!) and the eeveelutions. But I know I'm probably the only one who hasn't used the tool, any tips?

Besides going over your offsets (I would suggest the evo table one. Try looking at it in a hex editor for the original and comparing it to what you are trying to load) make sure it that you are also working with the dynamic ini feature properly and editing the right ini section.

Akiak

dreamin'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2024
    Me again, got a small issue, not sure if it's just me being a noob though.

Basically the tool sometimes just randomly deletes Pokedex descriptions for some Pokemon, usually replacing it with "/x". I've been editing stats, moves, egg moves, and sometimes I just get to a Pokemon and notice the dex description is suddenly not there anymore. I've also edited some Pokedex descriptions for some other Pokemon, which means I had to repoint, but I don't know if that's the problem.

karatekid552

Years
  • Me again, got a small issue, not sure if it's just me being a noob though.

Basically the tool sometimes just randomly deletes Pokedex descriptions for some Pokemon, usually replacing it with "/x". I've been editing stats, moves, egg moves, and sometimes I just get to a Pokemon and notice the dex description is suddenly not there anymore. I've also edited some Pokedex descriptions for some other Pokemon, which means I had to repoint, but I don't know if that's the problem.

Hmmm, I really didn't do a hell of a lot of testing on that feature so I will look at it more. Thanks for the heads up. Today I also inserted code to make sure that when repointing images, it will check to see if something else uses it and will prompt the user before filling with FF (if that option is selected) if it finds another pointer.

Vin_Prismriver

Pokémon Cremisi Portals Game Director
    Years
  • Hi karatekid, and thanks for making this great tool.
    You might really deserve the title of "Lord of the Tools" :P because this is already better than YAPE

Anyway, I've opened it on Windows 8.1, modified a few things and it worked flawlessly.
    Just a question: in the Evolution tab, we can set an evolution through Friendship at Night. We do need another to implement a Day/Night system before, right?

Best wishes~

karatekid552

Years
  • Hi karatekid, and thanks for making this great tool.
    You might really deserve the title of "Lord of the Tools" :P because this is already better than YAPE

Anyway, I've opened it on Windows 8.1, modified a few things and it worked flawlessly.
    Just a question: in the Evolution tab, we can set an evolution through Friendship at Night. We do need another to implement a Day/Night system before, right?

Best wishes~

TBH, I have never worked with those evolutions so I am not sure. I know Jambo51 made a hack for Prime Dialga's DNS that allows for that, but I don't know much more.

lukasz_pro

Saiyan Prince
    Years
  • this looks great ! u put rly good work at this

i dont know if i understand first post correctly , in future this program will got same function as advance map ? (new tab)

PiplupGHacker

Keeping the dream alive.
    Years
  • You may already know by now, but the toolkit (1.1.3 at least) works totally fine for me on Windows 8.1 x64. Also, is there a premade INI for Jambo's 649 patch? And is he okay with people releasing things based on it as long as there's credit where credit is due?

Last edited:

Wesley FG

Pokémon Kalos Advance !! Gba Hack
    Years
  • I using Windows 8.0, and the tool works fine, but i need use one method ( open 2 times the tool and wait for 1 or 2 minutes and its open).
    Man this tool is awesome, its make me back to rom hacking, its the major update in rom hacking since it begin, really nice, and congratulations for make dreams reality.

I have 1 sugeestions for you:
    1- if posible work in cry expansor too.

Congrats and thanks

Back