• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéParody Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    144a4h4.png

Welcome to Get-Together 8's PokéParody Competition!

Have you ever listened to your favorite song on the radio and wondered what it would be like if it was in the world of Pokémon? Found yourself editing lines to make it work, and maybe even singing it yourself? This competition is for those that have the creative flair for song parodies and are dying to show it off, or anyone looking to try it out!

But what's a parody?

Fine question, young parodist! A song parody takes the music and spirit of one song, but replaces the lyrics. Ever heard of Weird Al Yankovic? Most of his songs are parodies (here are some examples). A good parody of course follows the melody of the song, but it also captures the spirit - it doesn't merely imitate the syllables. If you can hear the song in your head as you're reading the lyrics, you know you're reading the lyrics of a good parody. If you're still confused as to the idea of a parody, feel free to skip to the end of the post for the submission examples to get a better understanding.

Categories!

So, there are two categories in this contest. There's the Lyrical Portion and the Musical Portion. The lyrical portion tests your ability to write a parody, while the musical portion adds your singing skills into the mix. Each portion will have a first, second, and third place.

Rules and Schedule

1. All PokéCommunity rules apply to this competition.
    2. The work submitted must be your original work. Just because you plan to enter the Musical Portion doesn't mean that you can copy a parody off of the internet and just sing it.
    3. However, you're not required to play the background music for the Musical Portion - it's perfectly fine to find a karaoke version of your song online and sing along with it or even sing with no background music at all.
    4. Multiple submissions are permitted.
    5. Submit your entries on this thread, using the submission format outlined at the end of this post.

Time Periods

Entry Period:
    12:00 AM, Friday, July 15
    to
    11:59 PM, Monday, July 18

Judging Period:
    12:00 AM, Tuesday, July 19
    to
    11:59 PM, Friday, July 21

Entry Period:
    12:00 AM, Friday, July 15
    to
    11:59 PM, Thursday, July 21

Judging Period:
    12:00 AM, Friday, July 22
    to
    11:59 PM, Sunday, July 24

Judging and Emblems

The judges for this competition are Toujours, Forever, and Opposite Day. They'll each give a score from 1 to 10, and the final result will be the average of the scores. There are multiple judging criteria for each portion:

Lyrical Portion:
    -Adherence to melody
    -Rhythm/Rhyme
    -Respect towards the spirit of the song

Musical Portion:
    -All criteria from the Lyrical Portion
    -Vocal ability
    -Performance quality

Emblems

Of course, there are emblems for winning, and even just participating. They are as follows:

eu0z5s.png

PokéParody Participant: You may not have won, but those songs definitely have a whole new meaning now that your hands have touched them! Thanks for participating in the PokéParody Competition during Get-Together 8.

2mevhg0.png

I Placed in the PokéParody Competition!: Those hits will never be the same, thanks to your incomparable contribution to the PokéParody Competition during Get-Together 8!

w9ihxx.png

Lead Singer: You're the Jigglypuff of the PokéParody Competition for Get-Together 8! Keep on crooning those smooth tunes, because you claimed best performance.

2m7c1l4.png

Head Lyricist: You felt the soul of the music, pulled it out, and made it your own with your lyrical skill. Congratulations on writing the best lyrics in the PokéParody Competition during Get-Together 8!

Submission Guidelines and Examples

To make it easier on the judges, it's preferable that you submit your parody is submitted this way (don't worry, not too complicated):

Song name
    Link to song (Youtube or mp3)

Submission

This way, everyone's on the same page as to what song is being parodied, and can listen to the original for comparison purposes. If you submit in the Musical Portion, please include your lyrics in the post as well as the music. Still a bit confused? Here are two examples:

Example 1 - Toujours
    (Lyrical Portion)
    Spoiler:

Example 2 - Opposite Day
    (Musical Portion)
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • This is sort of the other way round, I'm afraid; I misinterpreted the rules originally. Oh well, here goes.

Pokemon (English Dub) Theme
    (YouTube Link)

Link to me, singing - PROCEED WITH CAUTION

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Us Against The World - Play

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFa6V9EZbRc

Parody Name:
    Leaf Against The World

Spoiler:

Last edited:

terminoob

Waffles.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    Poker Face - Lady Gaga

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yODa2bifHs0

Parody Title: Poke Face

Spoiler:

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • It's bad but it's done :3
    Spoiler:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Thanks for the entries, they look great! There's still two days left to enter, so even if you think you probably won't do well you should definitely try out making a parody :)

Arcaray

Tetris God.
    Years
  • Mine is a parody of Poker Face too; I wrote it months ago, seems like the perfect opportunity to unleash it onto the world!

It is merely called Pokemon.

Spoiler:

Years
  • I actually wrote this around Halloween 2 years ago, and all I had to do was change it a little bit so it flowed better. It's based off of Thriller by Michael Jackson.

Spoiler:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    New entries, yay :3 By the way, this competition will be extended. I included the new entry/judging information in the first post in case you still want to enter, or want to edit your parody a bit.

Maraala

a fiery passion
    Years
  • New entry go

This one is based of Staind's "It's Been A While"

Spoiler:

Years
  • Ice Can't Dance

Based on I Can't Dance, by Genesis

This should be an all right video but to be honest, who hasn't heard this one before?

See if you can guess which Pokemon this is about (it's not difficult). And, this is my second submission, I noticed that the rules and regulations allow for multiple attempts. But if I got it wrong, can this one be my entry? Thanks.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    See if you can guess which Pokemon this is about (it's not difficult). And, this is my second submission, I noticed that the rules and regulations allow for multiple attempts. But if I got it wrong, can this one be my entry? Thanks.

No, you're right, you can enter as many time as you'd like. :)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Yes, have to say I like your entry and taste in music there, Nemesis. =)

Oh and uh, some entries of mine too. Yay late night parodies of questionable quality! But hey I enjoy it even at late/early hours so what the hey.

(I also love having to post this again an hour before the deadline because pc had a fit with my post =|)

Firstly, parody for The Longest Time, Billy Joel

Spoiler:

The next one is off Holy Grail, Hunters and Collectors. More based on those sales in some of the pokemon games in dpt. stores/markets - not that good a one imo but OH WELL more for the fun of it!

Spoiler:

And Mambo Number Five! I guess Lance be pimpin'...?

Spoiler:

Oh and one I did a while ago - guess it's not easy to get it unless you're familiar with Colosseum/XD and more so Miror B, a character from those games with a girant afro and a thing for Ludicolo, dance and music - sung by himself and his loyal followers Folly and Trudly. =p

Based on Road Trippin' by RHCP!

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    And with that, entering is CLOSED! Thanks for all the entries!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Okay, thanks everyone again for the entries! Unfortunately, the only entry we had for the Singing Competition didn't qualify, so I guess no one gets that emblem :( But for the Lyrical Portion here are the results! There was a slight domination here, but he deserved his wins ;) And with that, this competition is complete, so any higher staff is free to close this thread :)

Coming in 3rd...bobandbill tied with bobandbill lolwat with "The Daycare's Sublime" and "Miror B'in"!
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

And for 2nd place, we have Brendino with Eeveelution Night!
    Spoiler:

Finally, in 1st place, we have...bobandbill with "E4 Member Number 5"!
    Spoiler:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    By the way, I forgot to mention that if you want to know your score, feel free to PM me. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back