• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Help: My first Nuzlocke-Challage, but what rules should i use. (Votes, Discussion)

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2021
    Dear Pokemon Fans.

Im one of the Guys who started with the Pokemon games pretty early (What means early i didnt play read and blue but i did play the yellow edition at the age of 4-5)
    With Black and White (the first ones) i stopped playing. I mean those games were not what ive been looking for anymore. I thought ive just got at the Age ive became uninterested in PKM, but now ive read that many people were as dissapointed in B and W as i was and that the games were improved quite much in the last time to regain old players like me. So i finally got over myself yesterday after ive heared of the Nuzlocke-Challenge.
    Just that you know i havent played in years, but im still confident that i know quite the amount of pokemon of the early generations, their attacks and can compete. So i got PKM-Omega_ruby and want to start.
    So why am i writing this here? I need your help with the rules i have to abide. Yeah Nuzlocke has an amount of rules you need to abide that it is a Nuzlocke-Challenge.
    https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nuzlocke_Challenge ive used this site to understand Nuzlocke. (And ive used this site als reference for any rule below)
    As you see there are many optional rules.
    Actually you see im quite confident in my self when its about Pokemon, but honestly i never got above the stage of powerleveling and bruteforce the battle with any physical attack i have (common ive been a teenager so pls dont judge me). Ive allways considered the most attacks used in pkm-fights that dont do damage as useless. I do see some rules here who might help me with the fact, but i do not know how far to go here with the rules to make the game challenging but not impossible.

So thats why i need you: I want anyone who made it as far as this to vote with yes or no about which optional rules i have to abide.

First i do have a question: I have this 10 minute run which is partially... maybe still Nazlock compatible
    But i did not nickname, and i did not consider the sneaking to pokemon events as first encounter... you'll see at the rules section why this might be a problem.
    So you may vote "New" or "Continue" about that. (0.)

The Next votes i need from you is about the rules the new game or the continued game may have from this point.

First let me make the basic rules clear.

The most basic Nuzlocke rules, as they were first introduced, are as follows:

Any Pokémon that faints is considered dead, and (must be released or) put in the Pokémon Storage System permanently.
    The player may only catch the first Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first Pokémon encountered faints or flees, there are no second chances. (There are some Pokemon who randomly appear in PKM-Omega-Ruby in the grass and the players are not forced to fight untill they sneak to them. Do they count as first encounter als well just if you see them but dont sneak to them? (First Yes or No for you to vote)(( Just wirte for example: 1: Yes.))
    If the first encounter in the area is a Double Battle in dark grass, the player may choose which of the two Pokémon they would like to catch. (Fine by me but i dont remember any big grass in the old ruby edition but that might have changed) If there's a static encounter in the area, the player is allowed to capture them despite already capturing a Pokémon in that area. Shiny Pokémon also do not apply to this rule. ( i like all those rules)

Other near-universally used rules include:
    The general consensus is that players must also nickname all of their Pokémon, for the sake of forming stronger emotional bonds. (Im sooooo bad at nicknaming and ive never nicknamed before .... dear God please... but ill do it.)
    The general consensus is that a black out/white out is considered to be "game over", even if there are Pokémon left in the PC (Is the game over for me then?
    Second Yes No for you to vote.
    However, it may be adjusted that other Pokémon in the PC can be used to continue, should this happen.

Strongly implied, though not explicitly mentioned in the comic, is the stipulation that the player can use only Pokémon they have captured themselves, meaning traded Pokémon, mystery gifts, etc., are prohibited. Trading and retrading the same Pokémon (for the purpose of evolving a Graveler, for example) is something of a gray area, and may fall under optional rules. As of White: Hard-Mode Episode 3, it is implied that the player can accept Pokémon that are received freely from NPCs. (I can't use Swaping but if i encounter an NPC who gives me an egg or any Pokemon for free ill recieve it.)
    Also strongly implied is a prohibition against voluntarily resetting and reloading the game when things go wrong. Being able to do so would render all of the other rules pointless.
    That means for me: Reset to the start of the game or reset to the last save? I would consider resetting to the start of the game as a loss, so its a nono. And resetting to the last save when the Hp of a pkm is in the red is.... straight out cheating. so i think this is clear.

Optional rules

First i need this one : If the player has no Pokémon that can use a certain field move that is required to continue through any given point of the game, they may catch another Pokémon that can learn said field move. However, it cannot be used in battle for any reason, and must be released, permanently boxed, or migrated as soon as the player gets another Pokémon that can use said field move. (so no vote here)

Though the above rules tend to stay consistent with all challengers, many optional variations and amendments to the rules also exist to further adjust difficulty. These include, but are not limited to:

Starter Pokémon is based on the player's Trainer ID number. If the last number is 1-3 the player starts with a Grass type, 4-6 is Fire type, 7-9 is Water type, 0 is the player's choice.
    Alternatively, use the Trainer ID modulo 3 for the same purposes. (OH GOD NO, i need Torchic it wouldnt feel the same without it!!?! I even thought of a nickname just for it (if New)... Please dont vote Yes....Please? I couldnt form a bond with Mudkip (3 rd Yes or No for 0,1-3,4-6.7-9 method 4 th Yes or no for the modulo variant. If you vote at both Yes: i may pick one of those random methods i like better. If it's both No you tell me that i shall pick on my own.)

Not officially enforcing the rules until the player has Poké Balls and can catch Pokémon. For example, the Zigzagoon that the player has to save Professor Birch from is not counted as the first encounter on the route, and not counting any other encounters as such until they can catch. Likewise, in the games where the rival battle is immediately after getting the starter Pokémon, the "any that faint must be released" rule is often not enforced at that time.
    I dont consider anything an encounter untill ive reached the point that ive gained pokeballs I dont consider any scriped event as encounter, so i may decide how to go with it. (no Vote)

Species/Dupes Clause: Adjusting the first encounter rule to prevent the player from having to catch multiple of the same Pokémon, for the sake of variety. Generally this means that the trainer can keep fighting Pokémon in the area until one is encountered that has not been caught yet, which then immediately counts as the first encounter. (May i apply this rule? 5th Yes or no)

As an extension, setting a limit on how much Dupes Clause can trigger in an area. If that limit is reached, no Pokémon can be caught in that area (alternatively, the player has to settle for the last allowed duplicate to trigger the clause). (6th Vote (Number) only applies if you voted for 5 Yes.)

Adjusting the first encounter rule to allow or disallow certain types of encounters. (7 th Vote)
    The player is restricted to only catching the first Pokémon after each gym battle, instead of first Pokémon in each area. (If yes type (7:) A;)
    Banning the use of Potions and healing items, relying only on Pokémon Centers for healing. (If yes type B;)
    Conversely, banning the use of Pokémon Centers, relying only on Potions and healing items for healing. (C;)
    Limiting Pokémon Center visits to a certain number per town. (If yes type D (Number of allowed visits);)
    Banning the use of held items. (E;)
    Limiting the number of Poké Balls to purchase per Poké Mart. (F(Number you'd allow);)
    (ill only buy pokeballs, no super no hyper... no variant)
    Banning the use of Master Ball. (G;)
    Banning the use of Poké Marts to only allow use of items found in the overworld or given to the player. (H;) (if you vote for this i will exchange any Ball variant i find in the overworld to a pokeball at the market)
    Disallowing fleeing. (I;)
    Banning use of certain features that make the game easier, such as Pokémon-Amie, the DexNav, or Super Training. (i have no idea about them, but you may vote about them J;)
    You may vote for more than one letter; but not for both B and C together; Voting for C means D(O); F(0) is allowed; F, H cannot be in one vote;

Setting a level limit based on the next Gym Leader's/Champion's highest leveled Pokémon. What must happen to any team members that surpass that limit before taking on the Gym Leader or Elite Four is up to the player.
    This Rule is the one i need the most; Since ive allways bruteforced the game with levels. But since i dont have any idea about the level of the Gym-Leaders anymore and even less about the level of their pokemon. I would love to hear some suggestions at point 8.( About the level i may have to fight those leaders, and about how many pokemon i may use. )

Any other suggestions and ideas or remarks at point 9.

I think ill let this Discussion run for about a day untill i count the votes.

Thank you very much for you help, and Opinion.

Xeth.

(A valid vote would be:

0. New; (Ill start a new game)
    1. Yes; (Any seen pokemon counts as encounter even if i dont fight them)
    2. Yes; (if all currently active members in my team die its game over)
    3. No (i wont use the first starter-randomizing-method)
    4. No (i wont use the second starter-randomizing-method.9
    5. Yes (I may apply the clause for me to get a better balanced team)
    6. 3. (I only may fight 3 times a new pokemon (if i allready had the previous pokemon or any evolution of it in my team) until its forcebly counted as encounter even if i allready have the pokemon.)
    7. D (15); E; G; H; I; J; (Means i only be able to use a pokemon center in a town 15 Times; I wont give my pkm any items; wont use the masterball; ill ban the pokemarket entirely; i wont flee random fights; No easy feature.))

8: Whatever you like to say or leave blank.

9: Whatever you like to say or leave blank.)

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2021
    i apollogize for my bad english since my mothertounge is not english. I do hope i havnt messed up as much that you couldnt understand my text anymore.

Years

• Welcome to the forum! Always happy to see a new comer. I am going to move this thread over to a Pokemon section of the site so hopefully more gamers will see it and be able to help since this is a hangout for more general conversation. Wish you luck! I can understand your English don't worry, also no need to make a second post, the first one has been seen and help is coming for you :)

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2021
    Thank you very much for your help. :) I wasnt sure which topic my post might belong to so just to be save i added it to "off topic".
    Have a nice day and due to the current situation, stay healthy.

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2021
    It seems like ive did to much of a Text-Wall, for the people to read it, or theyve got uninterested while reading trough it, and allways coming online and looking for any answers, only to see many clicked the thread and noone answerd makes me kinda depressed.
    But honestly, what ive wanted to do was a Nuzlocke-Challenge with more than just one person with universal rules. I hoped that i could gain a few more people interested in this topic and hoped i could make the do the challenge with me, same rules (well honesty based). I was interested in or how fast they can be with the rules in the game or how far they can go with the rules aplied. I wished for gaining a bit of insight in they game and let them gain insight in mine.
    I guess i started the Topic wrongly with getting the rules (just for myself) and making it kinda uninteresting as a start. But as well i hoped to sort out those who dont want to help, and dont have to much time at hands for such a challenge. It seemes this starter to the topic was too "well" calculated.
    Since noone was interested in the Topic, i declare the tread as closed.

You all have a nice day and stay healthy.

Years
  • Hi, welcome to the forum. We have the whole section dedicated to various challenges like Nuzlocke, where you can post about your run. It's called Challenge Logs.

As for your questions and voting:
    First i do have a question: I have this 10 minute run which is partially... maybe still Nazlock compatible
    But i did not nickname, and i did not consider the sneaking to pokemon events as first encounter... you'll see at the rules section why this might be a problem.
    So you may vote "New" or "Continue" about that. (0.)
    10 minutes isn't really telling much about where you are in the game. In 10 minutes you can get to and beat Brock, but you can also barely move out of Pallet Town. But I think it's okay to continue, if you don't want to restart. There is name rater NPC in Slateport City that can change/give nickname to your Pokémon.
    The player may only catch the first Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first Pokémon encountered faints or flees, there are no second chances. (There are some Pokemon who randomly appear in PKM-Omega-Ruby in the grass and the players are not forced to fight untill they sneak to them. Do they count as first encounter als well just if you see them but dont sneak to them? (First Yes or No for you to vote)(( Just wirte for example: 1: Yes.))
    I never counted them as encounter unless I did sneak on them, so no.
    The general consensus is that players must also nickname all of their Pokémon, for the sake of forming stronger emotional bonds. (Im sooooo bad at nicknaming and ive never nicknamed before .... dear God please... but ill do it.)
    Don't worry, nicknaming can be hard sometimes. I usually try to stick to some kind of theme like characters from Harry Potter, superheroes, famous mathematicians or even nicknames after desserts or animals. I remember having run, where I named my Pokémon after famous curses. So there can be a lot of fun with nicknames.
    The general consensus is that a black out/white out is considered to be "game over", even if there are Pokémon left in the PC (Is the game over for me then?
    Second Yes No for you to vote.
    If this is your first Nuzlocke, I would recommend not applying black/white out as "game over", but if you're confident in your skill, then go for it. So it's no from me.
    Starter Pokémon is based on the player's Trainer ID number. If the last number is 1-3 the player starts with a Grass type, 4-6 is Fire type, 7-9 is Water type, 0 is the player's choice.
    Alternatively, use the Trainer ID modulo 3 for the same purposes. (OH GOD NO, i need Torchic it wouldnt feel the same without it!!?! I even thought of a nickname just for it (if New)... Please dont vote Yes....Please? I couldnt form a bond with Mudkip (3 rd Yes or No for 0,1-3,4-6.7-9 method 4 th Yes or no for the modulo variant. If you vote at both Yes: i may pick one of those random methods i like better. If it's both No you tell me that i shall pick on my own.)
    This is something that personally makes each run more interesting, since it kinda switches difficulty each time. But again, if you prefer Torchic to Mudkip and Treecko, then go with it. So it's no for both from me.
    Species/Dupes Clause: Adjusting the first encounter rule to prevent the player from having to catch multiple of the same Pokémon, for the sake of variety. Generally this means that the trainer can keep fighting Pokémon in the area until one is encountered that has not been caught yet, which then immediately counts as the first encounter. (May i apply this rule? 5th Yes or no)
    Yes, I never played without it. It just seems more interesting this way. I sometimes also use a little bit variant of this rule. If Pokémon has branched evolution (like Oddish) I can catch it for each different branch, but if Pokémon doesn't have branched evolution, I won't catch more than one of the whole evolutionary line (for example if I catch Rattata, I won't catch another Rattata or Raticate). So yes.
    As an extension, setting a limit on how much Dupes Clause can trigger in an area. If that limit is reached, no Pokémon can be caught in that area (alternatively, the player has to settle for the last allowed duplicate to trigger the clause). (6th Vote (Number) only applies if you voted for 5 Yes.)
    I usually go with 5 encounters. I feel like there is nice probability to encounter non-common Pokémon in 5 encounters.
    Adjusting the first encounter rule to allow or disallow certain types of encounters. (7 th Vote)
    The player is restricted to only catching the first Pokémon after each gym battle, instead of first Pokémon in each area. (If yes type (7:) A;)
    Banning the use of Potions and healing items, relying only on Pokémon Centers for healing. (If yes type B;)
    Conversely, banning the use of Pokémon Centers, relying only on Potions and healing items for healing. (C;)
    Limiting Pokémon Center visits to a certain number per town. (If yes type D (Number of allowed visits);)
    Banning the use of held items. (E;)
    Limiting the number of Poké Balls to purchase per Poké Mart. (F(Number you'd allow);)
    (ill only buy pokeballs, no super no hyper... no variant)
    Banning the use of Master Ball. (G;)
    Banning the use of Poké Marts to only allow use of items found in the overworld or given to the player. (H;) (if you vote for this i will exchange any Ball variant i find in the overworld to a pokeball at the market)
    Disallowing fleeing. (I;)
    Banning use of certain features that make the game easier, such as Pokémon-Amie, the DexNav, or Super Training. (i have no idea about them, but you may vote about them J;)
    You may vote for more than one letter; but not for both B and C together; Voting for C means D(O); F(0) is allowed; F, H cannot be in one vote;
    I wouldn't recommend most of these on 1st attempt. B, C or D can force usage of recovering moves like Recover or Softboiled, which aren't used that much normally. F is okay, but since you only want to use Poké Balls, it might be difficult. G and I on the other hand is something I do myself and I would say they don't really affect the overall difficulty of the run.

So, here's the vote
    0. Continue
    1. No
    2. No
    3. No
    4. No
    5. Yes
    6. 5
    7. G; I
    8. My comments above.
    9. In Challenges I usually encourage people to go with their guts for what can or can't they do, if they aren't sure. I believe doing Nuzlocke should be fun, not frustrating. So good luck.

Back