• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Easy Questing Interface

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    SET THE THREAD TO PRINTABLE VERSION!

DISCLAIMER (for you coders): This piece of code is incredibly overcomplicated I'm sure.

Hi there,
    As you can probably tell by the title, I've made an easy-to-use - in my opinion - Questing Interface for Essentials. I tried to make it as user-friendly as possible in terms of creating quests, but you'll have to go into the scripts for that as the event page likes to break lines. I know you can work around this, but I thought doing it in the code would be better in the first place.

Installation
    Spoiler:

Guide
    Spoiler:

Credit to Makattack202 for suggesting this (it was originally made for him) and Grace (~Angel~) for helping me test everything.

Last edited:
    Years
  • This is awesome! I'll be using this for sure, thanks a lot taking the time to make this!
    Little side question: Should I also credit your credits when using this?

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    This is awesome! I'll be using this for sure, thanks a lot taking the time to make this!
    Little side question: Should I also credit your credits when using this?

My thing with credits is usually (if I don't say otherwise), no, I won't hunt you down if you don't credit me. I released it to the public, so whatever I'd do, there would be at least someone who wouldn't listen. It's always appreciated, though.

Years
  • My thing with credits is usually (if I don't say otherwise), no, I won't hunt you down if you don't credit me. I released it to the public, so whatever I'd do, there would be at least someone who wouldn't listen. It's always appreciated, though.

I think you misunderstood me(probably because I didn't formulate the question well XD)
    I'll credit you for sure, that's self-explanatory, but you credited 2 people in your post(MakAttack and Angel), shouldI also credit those for the quest log?

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    I think you misunderstood me(probably because I didn't formulate the question well XD)
    I'll credit you for sure, that's self-explanatory, but you credited 2 people in your post(MakAttack and Angel), shouldI also credit those for the quest log?

Hah, I'm an idiot. Might as well get used to that. It sounds a little "rude" perhaps against Makattack, but I'd credit Grace because she helped testing. I just made it for Makattack, he hasn't helped with the process of creating it.

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    I added a Guide section to the main post. I also changed the code a bit so you don't have to go into 4 different script anymore; just two now. This does not add or change any of the mechanics, so if you have the previous version, you can keep this.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2017
    This is great! I will be using it for my game and giving credit.

But I got an error message when I tried to change the quest description in game.

This is the line I used:

Code:
    pbSetQuestDesc(1, Testing description change)

Result:

Code:
    ---------------------------
    Pokemon Essentials
    Exception: RuntimeError

Exception: SyntaxError

(eval):1: syntax error

***Full script:

Interpreter:276:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1606:in `command_355'

Interpreter:494:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:193:in `update'

Interpreter:106:in `loop'

Interpreter:198:in `update'

Scene_Map:103:in `update'

Scene_Map:101:in `loop'

Scene_Map:114:in `update'

Scene_Map:68:in `main'

EDIT:

Nevermind, I figured out how to solve it, I just had to add quotation marks. It works like a charm now.

Like this:

Code:
    pbSetQuestDesc(1, "Testing description change")

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2017
    This is really the best script I have ever seen!
    I will give credit!!!
    It works perfectly

Pokémon Rainbow

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    This is great! I will be using it for my game and giving credit.

But I got an error message when I tried to change the quest description in game.

This is the line I used:

Code:

Result:

Code:
    Pokemon Essentials
    Exception: RuntimeError

Exception: SyntaxError

(eval):1: syntax error

***Full script:

Interpreter:276:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1606:in `command_355'

Interpreter:494:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:193:in `update'

Interpreter:106:in `loop'

Interpreter:198:in `update'

Scene_Map:103:in `update'

Scene_Map:101:in `loop'

Scene_Map:114:in `update'

EDIT:

Nevermind, I figured out how to solve it, I just had to add quotation marks. It works like a charm now.

Like this:

Code:
    pbSetQuestDesc(1, "Testing description change")

I hadn't seen this post of yours, I'm sorry. And yeah, strings (series of characters) are usually surrounded with quotation marks. I assumed most people knew this because I'm a programmer. If you're not, you likely don't know this. (Don't take this personal)

This is really the best script I have ever seen!
    I will give credit!!!
    It works perfectly

Pokémon Rainbow

Glad it works!

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2017
    I hadn't seen this post of yours, I'm sorry. And yeah, strings (series of characters) are usually surrounded with quotation marks. I assumed most people knew this because I'm a programmer. If you're not, you likely don't know this. (Don't take this personal)
    I'm not a programmer, that's for sure. I just want to learn, learned a lot already in a short time.

Also had problem with changing the color of quest, didn't know you had to use a colon before the color.
    Like this:

Code:
    pbSetQuestColor(1, :GREEN)

These things are probably elementary for you, but for me, not at all.

Edit: I looked at the guide again, and see that you actually mentioned that, so that was just me not paying attention.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2017
    Exception: NoMethodError
    System_Quests:546:in `pbMove'
    System_Quests:229:in `pbUpdate'
    System_Quests:216:in `loop'
    System_Quests:240:in `pbUpdate'
    System_Quests:211:in `initialize'
    System_Quests:93:in `new'
    System_Quests:93:in `pbQuestlog'
    PScreen_Pokegear:166:in `update_command'
    PScreen_Pokegear:165:in `pbFadeOutIn'
    PScreen_Pokegear:165:in `update_command'

Please help! I got this message after opening the quests menu. (In pokegear)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    System_Quests:546:in `pbMove'
    System_Quests:229:in `pbUpdate'
    System_Quests:216:in `loop'
    System_Quests:240:in `pbUpdate'
    System_Quests:211:in `initialize'
    System_Quests:93:in `new'
    System_Quests:93:in `pbQuestlog'
    PScreen_Pokegear:166:in `update_command'
    PScreen_Pokegear:165:in `pbFadeOutIn'
    PScreen_Pokegear:165:in `update_command'

Please help! I got this message after opening the quests menu. (In pokegear)

Did you have any quests already in the quest log, what do all of your quests look like, which one did you want to add, did you follow the documentation?

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2017
    Did you have any quests already in the quest log, what do all of your quests look like, which one did you want to add, did you follow the documentation?
    Thanks for responding that fast. This were my quests:
    Code:
       Quest.new(0, "Choose a starter!", "Choose your very own starter Pokémon at the Professor's lab.", "Chansey", "113", "Poli Town", :SUPERLIGHTBLUE),
       Quest.new(1, "GS Ball Delivery", "Deliver the GS Ball to Professor Pantalon in Vulcanium City", "Professor Bramaphutra", "NPC 11", "Lab", :ORANGE),
       Quest.new(2, "Safari Game", "Play the Safari Game to obtain an award", "Professor Pantalon", "trchar069", "Vulcanium City", :BLUE),
       Quest.new(3, "The Flying Psyduck", "Catch a Psyduck for Ted, because he thinks Psyduck is a non-flying Zapdos", "Ted", "trchar009", "Route 4", :YELLOW),

When I open the Quest Menu with pbQuestlog and go back it says:
    Code:
    PSystem_Utilities:995:in `pbLoadRpgxpScene'
    PScreen_PauseMenu:168:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
    PScreen_PauseMenu:143:in `loop'
    PScreen_PauseMenu:269:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
    Scene_Map:193:in `call_menu'
    Scene_Map:163:in `follow_update'
    Following Pokemon:1551:in `update'
    Scene_Map:65:in `loop'
    Scene_Map:72:in `main'

I added all 4 and I got the first error. When I added none I got the error above.
    Thx

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    Thanks for responding that fast. This were my quests:
    Code:
       Quest.new(0, "Choose a starter!", "Choose your very own starter Pokémon at the Professor's lab.", "Chansey", "113", "Poli Town", :SUPERLIGHTBLUE),
       Quest.new(1, "GS Ball Delivery", "Deliver the GS Ball to Professor Pantalon in Vulcanium City", "Professor Bramaphutra", "NPC 11", "Lab", :ORANGE),
       Quest.new(2, "Safari Game", "Play the Safari Game to obtain an award", "Professor Pantalon", "trchar069", "Vulcanium City", :BLUE),
       Quest.new(3, "The Flying Psyduck", "Catch a Psyduck for Ted, because he thinks Psyduck is a non-flying Zapdos", "Ted", "trchar009", "Route 4", :YELLOW),

When I open the Quest Menu with pbQuestlog and go back it says:
    Code:
    PSystem_Utilities:995:in `pbLoadRpgxpScene'
    PScreen_PauseMenu:168:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
    PScreen_PauseMenu:143:in `loop'
    PScreen_PauseMenu:269:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
    Scene_Map:193:in `call_menu'
    Scene_Map:163:in `follow_update'
    Following Pokemon:1551:in `update'
    Scene_Map:65:in `loop'
    Scene_Map:72:in `main'

I added all 4 and I got the first error. When I added none I got the error above.
    Thx

I, unfortunately, can't look at it in-depth today, I hope you can wait until tomorrow. A few more questions, did you already add any quests to that questlog (that would be visible in "Ongoing")? Did the closing animation play before you got that error?

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2017
    I, unfortunately, can't look at it in-depth today, I hope you can wait until tomorrow. A few more questions, did you already add any quests to that questlog (that would be visible in "Ongoing")? Did the closing animation play before you got that error?

Spoiler:

Another Update:
    I figured it out myself. I had to delete all .quest (Only where there is a ! after .quest)
    Those were causing the problem. I don't know why, but I deleted them, and the Quest Log worked perfectly again, even with the pokegear.
    Maybe you should take a look at that, maybe you will get that error too.
    thx again.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    Spoiler:

Another Update:
    I figured it out myself. I had to delete all .quest (Only where there is a ! after .quest)
    Those were causing the problem. I don't know why, but I deleted them, and the Quest Log worked perfectly again, even with the pokegear.
    Maybe you should take a look at that, maybe you will get that error too.
    thx again.

Do you mean "$Trainer.quests"? And do you then mean "$Trainer.quests !"? I have no idea what the issue is and, typically, removing code doesn't fix something (unless it's my stupid way of unnecessary coding again, of course). And I haven't had any errors as such - nor did the person who stress tested the system.

Years
  • Your script is awesome, it works well without any problem, for me. Anyway do you know or anyone knows a script to reduce lag caused by too many events in maps? For example: in some maps i have too many headbutt trees, like lake of rage map, or in big cities. I searched for a script for that issue but i haven't found any, at least one updated and for pokemon essentials. I'm not a programmer, but i simple made a very fews codes from the existing ones or editing the existing ones.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2017
    Do you mean "$Trainer.quests"? And do you then mean "$Trainer.quests !"? I have no idea what the issue is and, typically, removing code doesn't fix something (unless it's my stupid way of unnecessary coding again, of course). And I haven't had any errors as such - nor did the person who stress tested the system.

Lines like these:
    if @sprites["ongoing0"].quest != @ongoing[0]
    if @sprites["ongoing5"].quest != @ongoing[@ongoing.size - 1]

I have removed (only) the .quest from them and the script worked perfectly again. Maybe the error was caused by some other scripts I am using. But removing the .quest from these kind of lines helped. (Only lines with a ! after them). I don't know what this exactly does, because I'm quite new at scripting, but removing them helped.

Ik zag dat je Nederlands bent. Erg goeie script.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2018
    Hi I love the script! I added a quest correctly and everything worked well but I get this error when I try to scroll through the quests.

Any ideas on why/how to fix it?

***I FIGURED IT OUT FOR NOW BY LOOKING ABOVE NVM***

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 1.11.36 PM.png
      Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 1.11.36 PM.png
      9.7 KB · Views: 63
    Last edited:
    Back