• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Team advice for Black 2?

Bd9

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2018
    I recently opened up a new game of Black 2 because why not, I finished Moon and there's not much in the postgame. And as usual, I need advice on a team that is balanced.
    I do not use legendary Pokemon for in-game teams, and I prefer more underrated Pokemon. My previous B2 game used many overpowered Pokemon but some underdogs.
    Anyways:
    I am in Castelia City right now, and I have not yet beat Burgh.
    I chose Oshowatt as a starter and plan on keeping a Samurott as my water type.
    I have a Lucario who I plan on keeping but I'm open to other fighting type options.
    I have a Growlithe with a neutral nature and I would love Arcanine, but I don't like waiting until he's in his 40s to evolve him, so I'm open for other replacement suggestions.
    I have a Golbat and might use Crobat as a temporary member but might drop the flying type later in the game.
    Pokemon I am thinking about:
    Altaria
    Chandelure
    Galvantula
    Flygon
    Zoroark
    Espeon
    Krookodile
    Metagross

Please leave suggestions. Also, please don't recommend the following because I used them in my last B2 game:
    Darmanitan
    Swanna
    Grumpig
    Excadrill
    Eelektross

Years
  • Here was my team on my playthrough of Black 2 (no game exclusives):

Samurott (Oshawott - Starter)
    Nickname: Sapphire (Female)
    Nature - Serious
    Ability - Torrent
    Moves: Megahorn, Ice Beam, Surf, Waterfall

Lucario (Riolu - Floccesy Ranch)
    Nickname: Lucius (Male)
    Nature - Hasty
    Ability - Steadfast
    Moves: Aura Sphere, Close Combat, Shadow Ball, Rock Slide

Magnezone (Magnemite - Virbank Complex)
    Nickname: Polarity (Genderless)
    Nature - Bold
    Ability - Sturdy
    Moves: Flash, Thunderbolt (or Discharge), Thunder Wave, Flash Cannon

Crobat (Zubat - Castelia Sewers)
    Nickname: Hemlock (Male)
    Nature - Lonely
    Ability - Inner Focus
    Moves - Acrobatics, Confuse Ray, Cross Poison, Fly

Chandelure (Litwick - Celestial Tower)
    Nickname: Lumiere (Female)
    Nature - Modest
    Ability - Flame Body
    Moves: Energy Ball, Flamethrower, Will O Wisp, Shadow Ball

Gliscor (Gligar - Routes 11, 15, and 23)
    (Can also be found as a Gliscor in shaking grass on Route 11, at a 5% chance)
    Nickname: Marty (Male)
    Nature - Impish
    Ability - Hyper Cutter
    Moves: Acrobatics, Night Slash, Sky Uppercut, Bulldoze

I highly suggest using Gliscor on your team. It's extremely helpful late-game. Be sure to grab Zubat in the sewers of Castelia. Also, if you can't be Ampharos'd to
    go back to Virbank and grind up a Magnemite, then Galvantula or Eelektross is your best bet. I suggest Galvantula out of those two, though.
    I'd also suggest replacing Growlithe with a Darumaka, temporarily. Then once you are able to access Celestial Tower, catch yourself a Litwick right away. Chandelure is an amazing special
    attacker and eats walls for breakfast.
    I wouldn't really suggest using a Metagross because, while it is a great Pokemon, it takes forever to get. Metang is found inside the Giant Chasm crater forest, except it,
    along with Metagross (which can be found in rustling grass in the Giant Chasm) has the same capture rate as most legendaries (capture are of 3, or 0.4%). Also, Gliscor is much better at
    handling the Elite 4.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    What are you hoping to achieve with your team/is there anything that you're struggling with at present that you need to fix? I'll always be repping the Garbodor line if you feel like trying something a bit more niche!

Bd9

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2018
    What are you hoping to achieve with your team/is there anything that you're struggling with at present that you need to fix? I'll always be repping the Garbodor line if you feel like trying something a bit more niche!
    I always look for team balance; Pokémon that usually aren't overpowered and who can cover every trainer. My Moon team was the most balanced team I'd created. Right now i don't have anything super effective against water types, though Lucario handles them well.
    I'm in the Desert Resort now and my team is:
    •Lucario
    •Growlithe
    •Golbat
    •Dewott
    •Sandile
    Lucario and Samurott are going to be permanent members. I just don't know if I want to use Crobat, Arcanine and Krookodile, because they're powerful but not super diverse.
    So basically, I'm looking for a balanced team that features more underused Pokémon (yeah I know I use Lucario). My goal is to just win the game and the postgame.

Back